Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 00:08   #91

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
Have to jump in here. You've gotten a lot of good advice, but you have also been subjected to a lot of well intended, but not totally accurate, opinions. In this buyer's market there a plenty of really good boats out there that are well equipped and nearly ready to go in the 40-50 foot range for under $100K. My own is a good example of this. I've owned her for 12 years and have been constantly maintaining, upgrading and equipping her over that time. She's a 1977 CSY 44 "Walkover" - built like an icebreaker and with lots of room for a liveaboard couple. Only reason's she's for sale now are that at 73 I'm finding that I'm not quite as agile as I was 10 years ago and my First Mate is also finding her mobility limited due to MS.
The hull is 34 years old, true, but hull, decks and house are all solid glass so there is no core that can rot. Engine has been replaced and upgraded, transmission has been replaced, up-to-date water-cooled fridge system, solar and wind generators, improved electricals, upgraded winches, great heavy-duty autopilot, oversized Lofrans Falkon windlass, oversized ground tackle, serviceable sails and canvas, hull and decks repainted, all exterior wood trim in great shape, custom aluminum dinghy davits for the 10.5 foot aluminum-hulled AB inflatable with 15hp Yamaha - the list goes on and on. Even the cookware and linens are on board. With an asking price of $89K someone is going to get a great boat at a great price! AND - she's already in the Caribbean - on the hard for hurricane season on St. Martin. Check her out at the broker's website, littleships.com, or send me a PM with any questions.
Happy Hunting!
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch and yes, I agree there are quite a few boats for less the $100k, so not sure where some of the advice has stemmed from. I have had a look at some CSY's and whilst we are leaning towards a beneteau/Jeanneau I have definitely not ruled out an older boat. My biggest problem is that I will have a step learning curve ahead of me when one considers "hands-on" type of stuff. It's not that I am too stupid or unwilling, it's a question of confidence, coupled with the fact that I have never had the opportunity to be taught or learn when it comes to handyman type things. I am a computer technician so when it comes to that I can save my life and perhaps the admirals too.

But seriously, I will have a look at your boat on littleships.com. I have noticed the term "walkover". Can you tell me what this refers to? I'm sorry to hear that your sailing days appear to be numbered. BTW, how long have you lived aboard and how long have you had your CSY? Keep in touch.

Len & Lisa
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 00:19   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
My advice is to spend every good day sailing a dingy between now and when you leave. A 15' daysailer with main and jib will teach you much more about sailing a lot quicker than a 44ft boat. If you can sail a light weight 15 ft sloop, then you can sail a 44 foot boat. The reverse is not necessary true.
Thanks for the advice. I have done a lot of sailing on a 24 footer, as well as some sailing on a 31 footer on both sea and inland water. I have also crewed an 80footer for a week on the Indian Ocean. I am looking forward to a 44footer and know that each boat has its own characteristics and peculiarities. I will never stop learning and hopefully with that attitude and listening to good advice I will keep myself and my Admiral alive.
Old 06-10-2012, 13:33   #93

Boat: Bollard 116 47ft

Well lot’s of info and of course much of it conflicting, because we all have different ideas. A lot depends on cruising ground, %time spent aboard, tolerance for squalor and most of all of course - budget.
For our part, we’ve been full time cruisers for ten years now, and we’ve cruised from the UK, around the Med, down to Brasil and through much of South/Central America and the Caribbean. Each year we learn a little more and each year we feel a little more confident that we’re now close to being able to specify our perfect cruising boat – the operative words there being “close” & “our”.
Our yacht is 47’, which seemed huge when we bought her, but our preference now would be for something a little larger. The extra space would mainly go into engine room/utility space for all those goodies which are now high on our list – Big watermaker, decent sized genset, bigger engine for that almost obligatory punching to windward, a workshop that’s separate from the living accommodation. A bit of extra space around the bed in the main state room and some extra wardrobe space and that’s an extra 6 feet used up. The extra length might also give room to accommodate the rib on the foredeck in chocks, right way up and with engine mounted.
A really important thing to remember is that most of the time you won’t be actually sailing, but swinging at anchor somewhere – not least for the hurricane season in the Caribbean or winter in the Med. So in many case we’d sacrifice sailing performance for creature comforts.
Good luck whatever you decide. It’s certainly a buyer’s market – especially in the US & Caribbean.
Samarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 13:43   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
............... I have noticed the term "walkover". Can you tell me what this refers to?............
Some center cockpit boats have access from the forward cabin to the aft cabin below decks. Those that require passing through the cockpit above are the "walkovers". Many consider the walkovers less desirable; however, they usually allow for a larger engine room space and more privacy in the separate cabins.
Old 06-10-2012, 20:46   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Some center cockpit boats have access from the forward cabin to the aft cabin below decks. Those that require passing through the cockpit above are the "walkovers". Many consider the walkovers less desirable; however, they usually allow for a larger engine room space and more privacy in the separate cabins.
Ah, I get it thanks. Not sure how I would like or dislike that. I suppose that it is a question of living on board a walkover that will guide one on whether it is desirable or not.
Old 06-10-2012, 21:15   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarang View Post
Well lot’s of info and of course much of it conflicting, because we all have different ideas. A lot depends on cruising ground, %time spent aboard, tolerance for squalor and most of all of course - budget.
For our part, we’ve been full time cruisers for ten years now, and we’ve cruised from the UK, around the Med, down to Brasil and through much of South/Central America and the Caribbean. Each year we learn a little more and each year we feel a little more confident that we’re now close to being able to specify our perfect cruising boat – the operative words there being “close” & “our”.
Our yacht is 47’, which seemed huge when we bought her, but our preference now would be for something a little larger. The extra space would mainly go into engine room/utility space for all those goodies which are now high on our list – Big watermaker, decent sized genset, bigger engine for that almost obligatory punching to windward, a workshop that’s separate from the living accommodation. A bit of extra space around the bed in the main state room and some extra wardrobe space and that’s an extra 6 feet used up. The extra length might also give room to accommodate the rib on the foredeck in chocks, right way up and with engine mounted.
A really important thing to remember is that most of the time you won’t be actually sailing, but swinging at anchor somewhere – not least for the hurricane season in the Caribbean or winter in the Med. So in many case we’d sacrifice sailing performance for creature comforts.
Good luck whatever you decide. It’s certainly a buyer’s market – especially in the US & Caribbean.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You have echoed my thoughts exactly regarding space and a larger engine. Unfortunately I think that in our case we have to be realistic about our budget. We want a more modern boat with as many comfort features as possible, self sufficiency and space. We also want as much safety and navigation equipment as possible so at around 44-47 foot our choice is nearing its limits as far as the budget is concerned so I guess we will in all probability end up with quite a few compromises somewhere.

Our priority will be on safety I am sure.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09   #97
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Ah, I get it thanks. Not sure how I would like or dislike that. I suppose that it is a question of living on board a walkover that will guide one on whether it is desirable or not.
I think it's a size thing. At 30' simply no option for a walk-through for me.

A walk-through works better the bigger a boat. A walk-over (actually a new term for me!) is the old style way of doing things (when aft cabins went onto small boats - before the modern vogue of instead putting berths (State Rooms?! ) under the cockpit).........., and does work well enough - especially if your cockpit is enclosed. Main downside is unlikely to have an en-suite head .

I guess also how good a walkthrough is depends on how well it is designed - although likely that would squeeze the engine compartment, that may be compensated for by having increased access (from the side) for when really needed .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 04:00   #98

Well, it has been a while since posting here. It has been months of dreaming, planning, juggling life etc etc. We have slowly whittled away our shortlist of boats since last year. Our life on land is winding down and we will be in Martinique on Saturday 25 May 2013 for the week to haulout, inspect, have a survey done and conduct sea trials on our new boat to be. Yes, we have a signed offer and acceptance on a 2007 Beneteau Oceanis 50. Just thought I would share our excitement, apprehension, anxiety, nervousness, and the ton of other emotions being experienced ... you old salty's out there know the range of feelings that we are experiencing Its an overall great feeling though, knowing we will be out there on our boat if all goes well with the survey etc by early August.
Old 22-05-2013, 04:28   #99
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Congratulations - It's a great feeling when you actually move aboard. Well, not so much when you actually move aboard - since by then you're so used to the idea that it just fees like going on a weekend cruise or something - but for sure it's a great feeling kitting a boat out ready to move onboard!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 04:57   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Congratulations - It's a great feeling when you actually move aboard. Well, not so much when you actually move aboard - since by then you're so used to the idea that it just fees like going on a weekend cruise or something - but for sure it's a great feeling kitting a boat out ready to move onboard!!!
Thank you, yeah, I bet it is. Just praying we don't find anything major wrong but the boat looks great, apparently everything working as it should and the broker is confident. He knows the boat, having sold it a year before to the seller. Its had 20 000.00 Euros worth of equipment and work last year! Can't wait. Maybe see you and the rest of some of this motley crew on CF out on the water soon.
Old 24-05-2013, 10:56   #101

Suddenly the realisation that our blue water dream is about to come to fruition has hit us. Tomorrow evening we land in the Caribbean. Our chosen yacht will be hauled and surveyed Monday and we will do the sea trials this week. Whoohoo, we're so excited and raring to go. So this is what it feels like folks?

Sailed as crew on so many boats over so many years ... this is different, its our own boat and its a permanent home. How does one find the right words to describe this time in one's life, pray tell? Please friends ... hold thumbs/cross fingers/pray, that the survey finds nothing untoward that throws a spanner in the works.
Old 30-05-2013, 23:18   #102
Marine Service Provider

Congrats on the choice! I moved onto a trawler 5 years ago and it had been the best crazy idea I've ever had. I have a business, Boat BuyersSherpa that for a flat fee we will find the perfect boat for you, resource insurance and manage all mechanically inspections the vessel. I am a recovering attorney, licensed private investigator and an ABYC certified marine tech. All good things when doing due diligence and negotiating and have an international database of folks I have personally vetted

If you just have some questions give a call. The more people I. Boating the better!
Cheers
lor
YourBOATDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 09:59   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
My advice is to spend every good day sailing a dingy between now and when you leave. A 15' daysailer with main and jib will teach you much more about sailing a lot quicker than a 44ft boat. If you can sail a light weight 15 ft sloop, then you can sail a 44 foot boat. The reverse is not necessary true.
From the selections could you select one to give me an idea of what you suggest?
I have windsurfed, grown up on the water and plan to get certified to own a 35'ft sloop someday soon. Never been on a sailboat. Will be learning in a gigantic SW bay. Other boats not a problem.
Veleiro Monocasco e Multicasco em Náutica - MercadoLivre Brasil
I will not post here significantly again, don't want to be accused of thread hijacking.
Thanks
marcos989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:13   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos989 View Post
From the selections could you select one to give me an idea of what you suggest?
I have windsurfed, grown up on the water and plan to get certified to own a 35'ft sloop someday soon. Never been on a sailboat. Will be learning in a gigantic SW bay. Other boats not a problem.
Veleiro Monocasco e Multicasco em Náutica - MercadoLivre Brasil
I will not post here significantly again, don't want to be accused of thread hijacking.
Thanks
I know your advice is well intended but frankly I don't see how I will benefit from sailing a 15 foot dinghy when over many years (since 1979), I have sailed 16ft hobiecats, 24 - 36ft yachts and crewed on an 80footer down the South African coastline from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth? I also skippered and delivered a 27ft cruiser across the Wash in England for the owner? I was crew on the NSRI (National Sea Rescue Institute in South Africa) for 2 years and took part in rescues in very rough water. I have windsurfed in the Indian Ocean and on inland waters too. I too, grew up on the Ocean. I am the first to admit that I am a greenhorn, who continually searches for the advice and input from the wealth of experience out there but maybe I am missing something with your suggestion to get experience on 15 foot dinghy's?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22   #105

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
I don't think he was offering advice to you, he was asking for advice from the other poster... And nicely made that comment too about not wishing to divert the thread.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard