Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 15:57   #1

we want to live on a boat in key west

my wife and i would like to sell our house or maybe rent it and move onto a houseboat in key west or close by, we have never owned a boat before so have no experience on the hook, we are self employed now so we know how to work hard so i think we could make a few bucks to survive. our question s are what type of boat? how hard is it to find work? what is need to make the move (besides some guts)....its either a boat or an rv but were leaning toward the boat. i am rather fair mechanic.

any help will do!

i dont know if this is a stupid question but how mobile are houseboats?
thanks in advance for everyone comments and help

by the way im 47 and my wife wont let me tell you her age.
gostanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 16:19   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Forget the houseboat in the keys. I would look into a trawler if live-aboard comfort is you first priority. Boot Key marina would be a good place to google. Very cruiser friendly, with secure moorings.
Old 11-01-2009, 16:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Houseboats come in many varieties. All are mobile, assuming they are not broken down, but most are designed and built only for lakes and rivers and not suitable for taking out on the ocean except on the calmest of days.

They also have a lot of windage and will need a serious anchor or mooring in high winds. Key West has been known to see a hurricane now and then and a house boat would quite likely end up on the beach or headed towards Cuba depending on the wind direction.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 16:24   #4

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Most houseboats available today are designed for protected water. They have little freeboard and flat bottoms. The flat bottom gives them alot of initial stability but in any kind of sea they whip badly. IMO If you lived on one on the hook it should be at a very protected anchorage.
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 16:29   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Agree with all of the above: DO NOT even think about a houseboat in the keys.

Look for a medium size sailboat with big solar panels and big anchors.

You can live on the thing in the keys as long as you want, then go to the Bahamas or the Caribe later when you feel like pulling anchor.

Not so with a houseboat.
Old 11-01-2009, 16:36   #6

thanks, now what makes a trawler more liveable, also is there free mooring at boot key? if not what are the fees involved? thanks for your help so far!!
Old 11-01-2009, 16:42   #7

Boat: 58
To the Northwest of Tank Island is free mooring. $5 or $6 dollars a day to dock your digny in the west bight.

Be aware, key west is pretty expensive. They have the highest slip fees I have ever paid. Conch Harbor is around $3.75 LOA (not LWL). A&B is a little less at around $3.25 LWL.
missnmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 16:44   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Disagree with the sailboat for what gostanggo says he wants to do. Trawlers have things like full-size appliances, A/C, AC power, full-size beds and couches, etc. Sailboats are great for distance cruising (and I personally prefer them), but for a first liveaboard I would not recommend one.

Check on Boattrader.com for trawlers in south Florida. It's an excellent time to buy one. Look for Grand Banks, Kady Krogens, Albins (can anybody else help here? Those are the only good ones I know). Then come down and look at A LOT of them before making an offer.
Old 11-01-2009, 16:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Agree with all of the above: DO NOT even think about a houseboat in the keys.

Look for a medium size sailboat with big solar panels and big anchors.

You can live on the thing in the keys as long as you want, then go to the Bahamas or the Caribe later when you feel like pulling anchor.

Not so with a houseboat.
what type and model sailboat would you suggest, i do agree about wanting to be mobile later, also how hard is it to learn to sail? im willing to try!
Old 11-01-2009, 16:58   #10

Quote:
thanks, now what makes a trawler more liveable,
Trawlers have more of a "house" so you can sit inside and look out, like you do in your Minnesota cabin.

In warm climates people tend to spend their daylight hours outside, as in a generous sailboat "cockpit" covered with a bimini top.

The few trawlers and houseboats I have spent time on tend to have more inside area where folks sit and watch TV in air-conditioned comfort.

If that is the priority, then rent a condo on land and save yourself the boat problems.

That being said, when (if) I turn about 70 or 75 years old I may want to get a trawler as well: Push one button and anchor comes up, push another button and the boat goes from A to B: No sails to deal with, no finer points of navigating with respect to wind, weather and shallow water, just crank up the diesel and muscle through the problems.
Fill it up with microwaves, TVs, VCRs, A/Cs, etc and off you go..Instant skipper you are, just get a line of credit to buy all the magic then complain to yer dock mates when it all breaks and you can't go anywhere because you are always waiting for parts and contractors who don't show up on time.

On the other hand, maybe I should stick with a simple medium size sailboat with big solar panels and big anchors when I turn 70 or 75?
Old 11-01-2009, 17:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
Disagree with the sailboat for what gostanggo says he wants to do. Trawlers have things like full-size appliances, A/C, AC power, full-size beds and couches, etc. Sailboats are great for distance cruising (and I personally prefer them), but for a first liveaboard I would not recommend one.

Check on Boattrader.com for trawlers in south Florida. It's an excellent time to buy one. Look for Grand Banks, Kady Krogens, Albins (can anybody else help here? Those are the only good ones I know). Then come down and look at A LOT of them before making an offer.
thanks starfish62!

where can i see some interior shots of a trawler? i would be looking for used, how much can i expect to pay for a decent one? ill check out boattrader, what are the hulls usually made of?
Old 11-01-2009, 17:08   #12

Quote:
what type and model sailboat would you suggest, i do agree about wanting to be mobile later, also how hard is it to learn to sail? im willing to try!
How hard is to learn how to sail......?

How long is a piece of line?

Same answer: It Depends.

Short answer: Sailing is easy, but to be a good sailor takes a long time, lots of sea-miles and mucho motivation.
The best sailors never quits learning.

If you are looking for the short answer, or a short-cut education to the next chapter in your life, look no further: Use common sense, get a good boat for a good price and we will see you out there.
Old 11-01-2009, 17:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Trawlers have more of a "house" so you can sit inside and look out, like you do in your Minnesota cabin.

In warm climates people tend to spend their daylight hours outside, as in a generous sailboat "cockpit" covered with a bimini top.

The few trawlers and houseboats I have spent time on tend to have more inside area where folks sit and watch TV in air-conditioned comfort.

If that is the priority, then rent a condo on land and save yourself the boat problems.

That being said, when (if) I turn about 70 or 75 years old I may want to get a trawler as well: Push one button and anchor comes up, push another button and the boat goes from A to B: No sails to deal with, no finer points of navigating with respect to wind, weather and shallow water, just crank up the diesel and muscle through the problems.
Fill it up with microwaves, TVs, VCRs, A/Cs, etc and off you go..Instant skipper you are, just get a line of credit to buy all the magic then complain to yer dock mates when it all breaks and you can't go anywhere because you are always waiting for parts and contractors who don't show up on time.

On the other hand, maybe I should stick with a simple medium size sailboat with big solar panels and big anchors when I turn 70 or 75?
wow!!!...so much to think about, i dont think i would mind the sailboat but the wife??? i could always leave her on the land

what type of sailboat would you suggest? i think my wife just said stick to the rv..ha ha
Old 11-01-2009, 17:13   #14

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
gostanggo,
Where you want to live, Key West, has lost its appeal to me. St. Augustine has also lot its appeal. Both cities have way too much tourist traffic. A houseboat has a lot of windage. When the wind blows, the houseboat sails. Even a sailboat is not able to buck the winds due to a lack of engine power. Better to look for a protected area with less tourism.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:19   #15

Quote:
Even a sailboat is not able to buck the winds due to a lack of engine power.
Huh...?

Ya have not met a CSY 33 with a 51 HP Perkins 4-108 and a wide-blade prop?

Some sailboats are more like tugboats and can muscle through a Catergory II 'cane.

Do not take sailboats lightly...

Tags
key west