Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25   #16

Re: What are the disadvantages of a 6'-7" draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW:

Oh... as to the disadvantages of a 6'7" draft?... the worst one is running aground in 6'6" of water!!

Hang in there with your Amel lust, for they are serious cruising vessels with a well earned reputation... if you like Mr Amel's somewhat offbeat ideas!

Cheers,

Jim
Jim,

Since I'm not intimately familiar with the Amel's, what are the "offbeat ideas"? I'm not trying to set you up in any way, just gathering info.

Thanks,
Duaen
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:26   #17

Boat: Tayana 47

The disadvantage of deeper draft boats has been mentioned already, and is basically just that you will be somewhat limited in a small minority of harbors or anchorages. Almost always you can still anchor a little further out (we're only talking about a little over a foot difference in draft from a supposed shallow draft boat) and enjoy the harbor, or you wait a few hours to enter the harbors shallow entrance at high tide, both very manageable problems. I had a 7'2" draft boat in the northern Bahamas for a year and didn't find it to be a big issue.

But for the vast majority of harbors/anchorages and always while at sea, deeper draft is either not a problem or is a clear advantage. When the weather really starts to pipe up and the waves get steep, it's a very nice feeling to have that greater stability that a deeper draft boat offers. It also helps your ability to sail to weather compared with shallower draft boats. That's something you'll enjoy every day. Unless you are willing to go with a multi-hull, to get the room a 53' boat offers, I wouldn't want a boat with much less than 6'7" draft.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:31   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
The disadvantage of deeper draft boats has been mentioned already, and is basically just that you will be somewhat limited in a small minority of harbors or anchorages. .....
The OP also has an air draft issue also. If his measurement is correct, the boats air draft is over 65 feet. That precludes a number of bridges on the east coast (where he apparently plans to go) and makes a number of the ICW bridges hairy to try and go under.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:44   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

What are the offbeat ideas? Well, it was designed by a sailor while on a circumnavigation who wanted to produce a solid, reliable boat. They decided to build some things that were reliable instead of using off the shelf stuff that wasn't. They laid out a nice fore/aft navigation station instead of a little cramped slanted table. Great engine access from the cockpit. A very different steering station, almost like a powerboat, so one can more comfortably stand watch in inclement weather. Yes indeed, offbeat in the extreme. Just a few things I remember.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:03   #20

6-7 draft will create some tension for sure. I sailed the Bahamas with 6-5 draft and hit hard pan a couple times. It will limit you in some places , but is very doable. East coast on the ICW it can be an issue at times too. I plowed a lot of mud with 6-5. Grounded hard once. The air draft will be an issue also on the ICW.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:23   #21

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
We are serious about an Amel Super Maramu, 53' LOA, a 6'-7" draft, 15'-1" beam, and a 65'-3" mast height. We'll be on the east coast, the Bahama's, and then down-island to the Caribbean. I'm more than a little concerned about limitations on anchoring, mooring, and the ability to tour the Bahama's....

Any advice is appreciated.
Amel is (or was?) an excellent French builder. They're not the sexiest looking sailboat but they're very very well built & if I could have afford one I would be sailing in comfort already & 6'7" draft is usualy not a problem unless you want to swim ashore Who does anyway ? Maybe me when I was 30 & I wanted to pick up a bikiny clad beauty queen on the beach
Look at Amel Super Maramu boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com
You'll see they're all over the world... cruising
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SuperMaramu.jpg
Views:	2435
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	91217  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:43   #22

[QUOTE=ALAIN97133;1673769]Amel is (or was?) an excellent French builder.

I believe they still "are". I've heard from their US rep that while they have suffered from the downturn since 2008 they are still kicking and producing boats.http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Duane
Old 09-11-2014, 11:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The OP also has an air draft issue also. If his measurement is correct, the boats air draft is over 65 feet. That precludes a number of bridges on the east coast (where he apparently plans to go) and makes a number of the ICW bridges hairy to try and go under.
I believe the standard ICW bridges are designed to allow at least 65' at high tide, so all through the rest of the day when the tide is lower than that or the particular bridge was built slightly higher than 65', he'd be OK. I see it as a very manageable issue but can't say I'd enjoy it in anything more than about 62' mast height. I'm sure there are a few 50'+ ketches (probably not many mid 50' sloops or cutters) out there for sale with mast heights under 65', but not many.

I guess it's just something the OP will have to consider when he decides what his top priorities are in a cruising sailboat. I've never done anything more than about 20 miles of the ICW (in Florida) at a time so I'm far from an expert, but don't understand why any sailor in a relatively large cruising sailboat would want to subject himself to all the stop and go waiting for bridge openings, and shifting channels with the associated risk of grounding, waiting for high tide to make it through a shallow area then waiting for low tide to comfortably clear a bridge. I'd love to do the whole ICW someday in a shallow draft motorboat because I understand there's beautiful scenery and some really nice harbors and towns to visit all along it, but in a largish cruising sailboat to me it's just not worth the hassle so I'd rather go offshore and "let her rip" with an occasional "duck-in" to an opening in the ICW.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:55   #24

Boat: Various

I see the draft as an occasional limiting factor but not a deal breaker. However, the air draft could be a constant issued depending on where he wants to go.

Now, my suggestion and something we did prior to purchasing is to chart your first few years of use. Plan the trips you're anticipating. Then see how often one or the other factor is a problem. We were told all sorts of things regarding size and marinas that just aren't true. But we charted the entire great loop and chose marinas in doing so. We've looked at draft and air draft the same way.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:01   #25

Quote:
I believe the standard ICW bridges are designed to allow at least 65' at high tide, so all through the rest of the day when the tide is lower than that or the particular bridge was built slightly higher than 65', he'd be OK. s just something the OP will have to consider when he decides what his top priorities are in a cruising sailboat.
Of course I've thought of that, and everything I've heard of traversing the ICW in a sailboat makes me think that would not be a brand of torture I'm going to sign up for. Even 5' of draft causes headaches there. I'm all for taking a sailboat sailing!

Duane
Old 09-11-2014, 12:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I see the draft as an occasional limiting factor but not a deal breaker. However, the air draft could be a constant issued depending on where he wants to go.

Now, my suggestion and something we did prior to purchasing is to chart your first few years of use. Plan the trips you're anticipating. Then see how often one or the other factor is a problem. We were told all sorts of things regarding size and marinas that just aren't true. But we charted the entire great loop and chose marinas in doing so. We've looked at draft and air draft the same way.
Excellent point, and I've been spending the day looking at charts to see where I would have a problem.

Duane
Old 09-11-2014, 12:25   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I believe the standard ICW bridges are designed to allow at least 65' at high tide, so all through the rest of the day when the tide is lower than that or the particular bridge was built slightly higher than 65', he'd be OK. I see it as a very manageable issue but can't say I'd enjoy it in anything more than about 62' mast height. I'm sure there are a few 50'+ ketches (probably not many mid 50' sloops or cutters) out there for sale with mast heights under 65', but not many.
There are significant portions of the ICW on the standard route south, i.e. inside to avoid going around Cape Hatteras, that are not tidal. The water changes based on extended wind directions, but there are no diurnal tides. In other places you would need to wait for higher tides to deal with the boats draft while then needing to wait for lower tides to get under a bridge -- a recipe for a long few days. There are also a couple of fixed bridges that are 64, not 65 feet. Its all doable, just takes real patience. Not sure if the mast height spec'd by the OP was for the non-bendable portions or does it include removable or bendy parts of the top of the mast.
Old 09-11-2014, 13:23   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
What are the offbeat ideas? Well, it was designed by a sailor while on a circumnavigation who wanted to produce a solid, reliable boat. They decided to build some things that were reliable instead of using off the shelf stuff that wasn't. They laid out a nice fore/aft navigation station instead of a little cramped slanted table. Great engine access from the cockpit. A very different steering station, almost like a powerboat, so one can more comfortably stand watch in inclement weather. Yes indeed, offbeat in the extreme. Just a few things I remember.
I like everything I have seen on the Amel Super Maramu.

Here is a photo or two to illustrate. The wheel position in the cockpit is different from most sailboats.

The air draft/draft issue for using the ICW does seem to be something to consider if you want to travel on the ICW full length, or to avoid Hatteras etc.
The draft issue might also affect staying in some marinas too.

I wish the OP good luck! Cool boats!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4593206_20140414191120036_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	1801
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	91248   Click image for larger version

Name:	4593206_20140414192752519_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	91249  

Name:	4559094_20140129071114594_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	91250  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 14:06   #29

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

OP doesn't say what experience he has, on board and more importantly offshore. Started out stating that he interest are the east coast, Bahamas and thirdly Caribbean. If the primary route is the first two, I think there are a hundred boats that will fit the bill far better. Get a Cheribini, with that kind of money. But then he say's "everything I've heard of traversing the ICW in a sailboat makes me think that would not be a brand of torture I'm going to sign up for. Even 5' of draft causes headaches there. I'm all for taking a sailboat sailing!" So that's that! Your on the outside whenever your north south on the east coast. I've been up and down the ditch four times. 90% of it is wonderful. Where it's not so good, or when the weather is right, I go outside. If one has never spent a continuous week offshore, you might want to do so before you commit to the boat who's, primary function is to be offshore. Every time I go north or south, there's always that intrepid sailor with the best boat in the world, sitting in a marina waiting for just the right combination of tide to deal with depth and/or height. The hardest thing about choosing a boat is to be as clear as you can about how/where/when the boat will really be used. It's a goldy locks type compromise. Too much draft and and hieght and your a committed offshore sailor, whether you are commited or not. Too shallow and you have to pick your offshore weather with more care. But you can go out if you want to, and you get to the best anchorage's available. I lean towards the middle. Well maybe not the middle. I have a 38'er with two center boards, 3' boards up, 6.5' down. But then I have no intention of crossing an ocean, but picking my weather, I could. To be uncompromising is not a sound way to go about choosing. It's all compromise. We are talking about boats after all.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 14:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
There are significant portions of the ICW on the standard route south, i.e. inside to avoid going around Cape Hatteras, that are not tidal. The water changes based on extended wind directions, but there are no diurnal tides. In other places you would need to wait for higher tides to deal with the boats draft while then needing to wait for lower tides to get under a bridge -- a recipe for a long few days. There are also a couple of fixed bridges that are 64, not 65 feet. Its all doable, just takes real patience. Not sure if the mast height spec'd by the OP was for the non-bendable portions or does it include removable or bendy parts of the top of the mast.
Interesting about having the "tide" more of a function of wind direction and strength than diurnal cycle. I was wondering about the "bendy parts" question myself and noticed some other Amels are listed at 66' so am thinking that maybe the height is not just antenna's etc. But it seems that it's a mute point anyway because the OP is inclined to actually sail it in deep water than take the ICW.

Tags
draft