Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 14:44   #31

Re: What are the disadvantages of a 6'-7" draft?

Thanks that was a very interesting topic, one that I have been thinking about for some time. I have been looking at a Le Comte Fastnet that has 6' 8" draft. I plan on buying out of Pacific Northwest and bringing her home to Australia. I think my mind has now been put at ease, a good painter and we're in business.
alanlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 14:52   #32
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

A six foot seven inch draft? We're talking bout basketball, right?
Old 09-11-2014, 15:07   #33

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Yes Amel is a great boat. We did the Bahamas/ Caribbean for two years with a 6' draft Cal 46 ketch With modern Nav aids/ Chartplotters the 6' draft wasn't ever an issue and while I wasn't focusing on a 'what if I was 7' draft' I don't think it would have made much of a difference. However the 65+' mast is something to really weight the pros/ cons about because along the East Coast ICW there are many many 55' bridges with restricted opening... like once an hour. With mast height over 65' it could be a slow go on the inside and/ or force you to always take the outside route. Norfolk and much of the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay have many 55' bridges. Up around Annopolis ( but not Annapolis) the 6' vs. 7' can become an issue since so many marinas are shoaling in and the cost/ permitting issues have significantly slowed 'maintenance' dredging. I am more restricted up here in Chesapeake Bay marinas/ ends of rivers than I was in Caribbean. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 15:11   #34

I doubt it's much different from the six foot draft boats. Amel lists it at 6'-3" draft unloaded, and 6'-7" draft at full displacement. Most manufacturers only list the unloaded draft and you have to add 3 to 5" if you are heavily loaded.
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 15:46   #35

Yep....nice in the deep end though
alanlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:27   #36

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3GAC View Post
Yes Amel is a great boat. We did the Bahamas/ Caribbean for two years with a 6' draft Cal 46 ketch With modern Nav aids/ Chartplotters the 6' draft wasn't ever an issue and while I wasn't focusing on a 'what if I was 7' draft' I don't think it would have made much of a difference. However the 65+' mast is something to really weight the pros/ cons about because along the East Coast ICW there are many many 55' bridges with restricted opening... like once an hour. With mast height over 65' it could be a slow go on the inside and/ or force you to always take the outside route. Norfolk and much of the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay have many 55' bridges. Up around Annopolis ( but not Annapolis) the 6' vs. 7' can become an issue since so many marinas are shoaling in and the cost/ permitting issues have significantly slowed 'maintenance' dredging. I am more restricted up here in Chesapeake Bay marinas/ ends of rivers than I was in Caribbean. Good luck with your decision.

Here's the scale showing the clearing height of the bridges on the Cape May Delaware canal... My 34 footer has a 51' mast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7819.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	91274  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:36   #37

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Here's the scale showing the clearing height of the bridges on the Cape May Delaware canal... My 34 footer has a 51' mast
Right, but its only a couple of miles further to go around directly to Cape May and into the Delaware without any bridges. So this is no real restrictions.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:57   #38

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Right, but its only a couple of miles further to go around directly to Cape May and into the Delaware without any bridges. So this is no real restrictions.
Very true... but if you plan to sail up the Delaware with the tide, with daylight & would like to anchor in northern Chesapeake before sunset, it's nice to save an hour or so ! Isn't it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7811.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	91278  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Those are very modest dimensions for a boat that size. My Moody 54 has nearly 8' draft and the air draft is nearly 80' with the antennae.

I don't sail the Bahamas, but FWIW, neither water nor air draft has ever been much of a problem for us. You get used to where you can and can't go. A bigger limitation for us has been LOA, as some ports and marinas can't accommodate our length (about 60' LOA). But that usually means that we go into the commercial port, which is sometimes better anyway.

As to anchoring further out - also generally not a problem. Can even be an advantage when it puts you outside the crowd. A bigger boat is more stable at anchor and can carry more and heavier chain. So your possible anchorages are actually expanded.

The ICW is going to be a problem for you with that air draft -- you'll have to decide yourself whether that's a problem, or not. I personally avoid "the ditch" as much as possible.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:13   #40

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Very true... but if you plan to sail up the Delaware with the tide, with daylight & would like to anchor in northern Chesapeake before sunset, it's nice to save an hour or so ! Isn't it ?
The OP is looking at a 50 something foot boat. If he were looking at a boat length in the mid 30's I can see this being a consideration, but would you really consider choosing such a short mast for a 53' boat just so you could cut the corner at Cape May? At some point in the low to mid 40's length you just have to say good-bye to going under 55' bridges, especially if you want to enjoy sailing your boat.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:57   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
Jim,

Since I'm not intimately familiar with the Amel's, what are the "offbeat ideas"? I'm not trying to set you up in any way, just gathering info.

Thanks,
Duaen
You should Google and read about them.

They are undoubtedly outstanding boats with a fanatical following. But they are undoubtedly strange. You just have to look at one to see. Many people consider them to be extremely ugly with their fake teak decks and strange proportions; others don't mind it -- matter of taste.

They are sold fully and totally equipped with everything you could possibly want for extended cruising -- no options. This saves you a lot of time fitting out the boat, but if your tastes or desires are different from those of Mr. Amel -- you're SOL.

One thing you have to say about them -- they are hard core, long-distance cruising boats, practically never used as dock queens. Maybe highest percentage of any boat which are actually used for crossing oceans.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 13:45   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You should Google and read about them.

They are undoubtedly outstanding boats with a fanatical following. But they are undoubtedly strange. You just have to look at one to see. Many people consider them to be extremely ugly with their fake teak decks and strange proportions; others don't mind it -- matter of taste.

They are sold fully and totally equipped with everything you could possibly want for extended cruising -- no options. This saves you a lot of time fitting out the boat, but if your tastes or desires are different from those of Mr. Amel -- you're SOL.

One thing you have to say about them -- they are hard core, long-distance cruising boats, practically never used as dock queens. Maybe highest percentage of any boat which are actually used for crossing oceans.
Hey Dockhead, thanks for answering that query... I had missed it! And you covered the main points well. There are also some odd bits of rigging and hardware involved IIRC, and they may work wonderfully well but are odd to look at and try to understand.

I was recently on board a new 54 foot Amel, and while they are definitely not my cuppa tea, I was very impressed with the quality of fitout. Very nice indeed...

Jim
Old 10-11-2014, 14:28   #43

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The OP also has an air draft issue also. If his measurement is correct, the boats air draft is over 65 feet. That precludes a number of bridges on the east coast (where he apparently plans to go) and makes a number of the ICW bridges hairy to try and go under.
According to the guide books, many of the so-called 65' are actually less, often by a foot or more. This could mean several stops along the way waiting for lower tides. There are some parts of the ICW with no tides and that could make it very difficult to get under bridges.

The same goes for shallow parts of the ICW. There could be many stops waiting for higher tides.

It's not a great choice for the AICW.
Old 10-11-2014, 14:29   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

The 6'7" is ok I have 6'2" it's the mast height over 65 that would concern me. Mine is now 63 and I can slip in and out of the ICW as I like

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 15:22   #45

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
Could you give me a few examples of east coast anchorages that would be difficult with deep draft?

Thanks in advance,
Duane
Clear water Florida, with a six foot draft I went aground six times in one day IN THE CHANNEL. (it was the lowest low tide of the month). Just north of Fort Lauderdale I went aground trying to get fuel, just south of the dock. They had dredged a channel, but of course I missed it.
BTW west coast, South San Diego bay, I went aground with my three foot draft . But with a lifting keel I didn't mind much.

Tags
draft