Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What do you REALLY think of your marina?
Greatest marina EVER! 13 22.81%
Could be better, but I'm content. 26 45.61%
Not exactly happy, but I'm dealing. 10 17.54%
I hate them! If I could, I'd move on the hook tomorrow. 3 5.26%
What's a marina? I cut the lines a long time ago, and avoid them like the plague. 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 02:59   #16

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Couldn't ask for better.
I get out of the marina hang a right and I'm in open water.
Staff is very friendly.
The marina is immaculate and the grounds are landscaped like a mega-garden. Bathrooms even meet my wife's standards, and heated in the winter and AC in the summer. Docks are relatively new and kept in good repair.
There's an olympic-sized pool with a kiddie pool and a sand beach. The marina also has a small gym.
There's also a decent restaurant and party facilities. The marina laso provides slipholders with a couple of free buffet breakfasts and last year they had a crab feast.
Since we're out in the middle of nowhere this is not one of those gated marinas and not that much security, but in the five years I've been there I haven't heard of any major problems.
We have great dock neighbors -- but that can be true in any marina. There are live-aboards but I don't know if they pay extra.
My rate is $625/month + electricity.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 04:07   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
Most people are satisfied wth the service they get. BUT, being satisfied just means you are getting the service you expect. In the US we have gotten so used to poor service that we expect to get poor service. And if we get the poor service we expected we say we are satisfied. So any question involving service where the answer comes out as "satisfied" means the service is poor. Just like we expected!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 07:03   #18

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Well this is only the 2nd marina I have been in. The first with our norsea 27 was in Bradenton Florida. Was a great marina. Clean, nice pool, great resturant. Slips were good. Lit well. Protected.
Been in the Corpus Christi Municipal Marina now for 1.5 years. Have had a few problems. The residents here are cool. They do allow live a boards now, but only a few. It cost extra. The new docks are nice, floating. 30 amp and 50 amp service. Pump out at the dock, but you pay 5 bucks per pump out and have to schedule it in advance, but mostly same day.
Marina staff are mixed. Some rude, some incompetent, some very good. They are losing boats by the dozens, so they seem to try a bit harder now. A LOT of empty slips.
The old docks are a mess. Fixed. Splintered. Poor lighting. But you pay a bit less.
No pool, unless you want to join the yacht club, assuming you could get a invite. There are two yacht clubs. One is easy to get into, if you like that sorta thing.
The view out of my compainon way hatch is very nice.
I live 5 min away.
Guess I'm staying.
Cost about 300 /month for a 50 foot slip I think. I pay by the year.

Bob
Pretty much what Bob said. For the most part, we love our marina. We are in the older, floating section. Same price as the new section, but it's a long way from Bay Yacht Club (the easy one to get into AND cheap). Pumpouts are free at the pumpout dock, if you do them yourself. The security is pretty good - piers are locked AND you have to tell the marina staff when you arrive and how long you will be there. They do check out boats that have lights on and no vehicle matching it.

We have found all of the staff friendly - one, who Bob is likely talking about - can get abrasive, but we've found him wonderful when you need him.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 07:30   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I am very happy with Magothy Marina in Severna Park. There's a small (about 9) liveaboard community, but very close-knit.

- Liveaboard friendly
- Well-maintained facilities
- Heads sparkling
- Competent, friendly staff

I've heard a few complain that there's no bar/restaurant, as there is in a nearby marina, but I actually find that a plus. Not having that temptation nearby really keeps the spending on such things in check.
Old 19-02-2010, 07:46   #20

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
I think I'm kind of an "in-between". I'm not in a marina, I'm berthed at the docks of my neighborhood beach club. There is a traditional marina directly across the cove, and some boats on mooring balls.

Free 30 amp service & potable water, but no pump-out or sanitation of any kind. Of course, we don't live on our boats because we live in the neighborhood. Security is low-tech, but no one has ever had a boat tampered with and we all look out for each other's boats.

An experienced sailor can raise sails almost immediately after casting off. I motor for maybe 20 minutes before I hoist sails.

Cost: $400/annually for a "deepwater" slip or $300 for a "shallow" slip.
Old 19-02-2010, 07:46   #21
Marine Service Provider

Well if nothing else, at least you're all paying a lot less down South. I'm paying a little less than bloodhunter, but the marinas I've been in have been nowhere near as nice as what he described, and I wasn't get as much for my money either.

So, Don what you're saying it, all those votes that say I'm content, really mean those marinas stink?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 18:34   #22

Boat: a sailing boat
The marina we are in now is not dirty cheap. It is cheap and dirty.

"Our" marina in Gothenburg, Sweden (Fiskeback) is the best marina in the world.

Cairs has a nice marina too!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:26   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Can't answer this, we don't have any marinas here.
regards,
Old 23-02-2010, 15:12   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Location works; 12 minutes from home and 15 minutes from work for Himself, unless he is on the bus. Then it's more like over an hour.

Slip is fine, nothing to write home about, but in good repair etc.

Utilities are annoyingly placed. Cords have to run past 2 slips to get to every other boat, when a little planning during installation would have made the runs close to both boats on the box. Cable box is REALLY hard to get at to unscrew when we go out.

Bathrooms are clean and neat if not luxurious.

Water supply is clean and runs clear.

My biggest gripe is that they allow boats to sit and go to wrack and ruin, heaped with trash and debris and ratty shreded tarps and don't require the owners to clean up the mess. I don't care what it looks like inside, and I am not talking about bikes and jerry cans lashed to the lines. I mean piles of STUFF... makes me crazy.

The harbour master is a bit of a curmudgeon, but have you ever met one who wasn't? At least he likes my dog even if he grumbles in general about pets.

I just wish they would make folks clean up their poor boats. They look so sad.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 21:29   #25

I have no complaints about my marina (Magothy Marina, Severna Park, MD - Hi Scott!).
ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote