Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 08:37   #136
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
is NOT a joke--many felames cannot tolerate the idea of a single female near their spouses--why i donot know--taken men donot appeal to most of us..we have standards also-- just is weird that so many felames are that way--ruins the fun and socializing aspect of cruising......

(yes, i misspelled female appropriately--is lame to act in such manner--exhibits insecurity in a grand scale, therefore felame suits them well.....).
So much for cruisers begin SO welcoming!
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:31   #137

Quote:
....many felames cannot tolerate the idea of a single female near their spouses....
Dang, I'm a pariah already and I didn't DO anything yet! Not even interested in men. Geeze.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:11   #138

Boat: a sailing boat
On the water,I think you have to do with what there is, unless you go for dating the local fauna.

Just next to the water, (marinas) it is like elsewhere.

Among cruisers, I think 99 lonesome males will chase the 1 cruising female who is not interested in them at all.

If you are after dating, stay in the big city, get a regular job and pretend you are interested in setting up a family.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:25   #139

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you are after dating, stay in the big city, get a regular job and pretend you are interested in setting up a family.
hehe! quite..
Old 07-03-2010, 13:48   #140

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:

b.
I really do not think that dog will hunt always. Hell I am 63....family! You gotta be kidding.
Old 07-03-2010, 14:12   #141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
During the "dating period", all women love the idea of sailing, it is only after you have taken them out that the the truth comes out. It is rare to find to someone who really enjoys spending the nigh at anchor and all day under sail.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43   #142
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I really do not think that dog will hunt always. Hell I am 63....family! You gotta be kidding.
concur with above lol.....
certainly not with the african queen comment!!!.....havent met any of those yet--lol---

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
is NOT a joke--many felames cannot tolerate the idea of a single female near their spouses--why i donot know--taken men donot appeal to most of us..we have standards also-- just is weird that so many felames are that way--ruins the fun and socializing aspect of cruising......

(yes, i misspelled female appropriately--is lame to act in such manner--exhibits insecurity in a grand scale, therefore felame suits them well.....).

So much for cruisers begin SO welcoming!
lol so's are mkost welcome--as long as they have theirs woith them it seems--i dont mind meeting everyone--attached or otherwise--am not seeking a family!! i am seeking a SAILING PARTNER.... LOL..... not necessarily a SO kinda partner lol....
as long as he can keep a decent watch and sail in th eright direction , seems i am not tooo picky..lol
mukle--i am similar age group as you--LOL--family--as the grinch says about xmas.......!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:47   #143
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
the reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwell View Post
During the "dating period", all women love the idea of sailing, it is only after you have taken them out that the the truth comes out. It is rare to find to someone who really enjoys spending the nigh at anchor and all day under sail.
Exactly! The IDEA of sailing is all romance - that easy day sail to a secluded cove, drinks in the cockpit, sex under the stars.

This is dating - fun!

The reality is life in a very small space, with few luxuries, bouncing or at 25°, long days working under sail, etc etc.

So few women will agree to become the admiral. Better to find someone who has already chosen the cruising life when looking for a soul mate.

Or maybe the "right" soul mate will make you realize that life ashore can be great too. Our dreams change as we change!

But regardless I would never recommend lies, even implied rather than bald-faced, to "get" the girl (i.e. pretend you want a family!?!). That is doomed to failure from the beginning. Unless all you want is a hook-up; lies can work great for that. Doesn't make you an admirable person though.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01   #144
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Exactly! The IDEA of sailing is all romance - that easy day sail to a secluded cove, drinks in the cockpit, sex under the stars.

This is dating - fun!

The reality is life in a very small space, with few luxuries, bouncing or at 25°, long days working under sail, etc etc.

So few women will agree to become the admiral. Better to find someone who has already chosen the cruising life when looking for a soul mate.

Or maybe the "right" soul mate will make you realize that life ashore can be great too. Our dreams change as we change!

But regardless I would never recommend lies, even implied rather than bald-faced, to "get" the girl (i.e. pretend you want a family!?!). That is doomed to failure from the beginning. Unless all you want is a hook-up; lies can work great for that. Doesn't make you an admirable person though.

Margo
AMEN!!!!! lies make ye a pariah....a significant other makes ye a married person.....lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:37   #145
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
On the water,I think you have to do with what there is, unless you go for dating the local fauna.
I would've thought if sailing to foreign shores, then "integrating" with da local fauna would be one of the attractions / challenges

Or maybe enroute one might bump into a shoal of Mermaids if you carefully follow their migration route at the right time of year - who knows where they may lead you? . Mermaids maybe not so good on deck, but save a few haulouts
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25   #146

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
"mukle--i am similar age group as you--LOL--family--as the grinch says about xmas.......!!!! "

Too bad you be in San Diego. I am in Fl with one foot in Fort Worth. I did live aboard in SD in my early 20's. A haze gray boat called the USS Bradley. We went under the bridge, and tied up at the 28th and 32nd Nav Sta. I loved it there, would have stayed in but there were too many reasons not to, thank God I did not. Being a telephone man worked out much better.

I can stand a watch, do what I am told, have no problem not being Captain, less responsibility, but also can make a decision and be the Capt. I like the chain of command, takes away uncertainty as to what to do. If Captain then you decide and give the command, and if 1st mate, you do it and if you disagree, you still do it and talk about it later. I am comfortable either way. My problem is when it comes to sails, Mule translates into latin as "bad sailor"
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34   #147
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would've thought if sailing to foreign shores, then "integrating" with da local fauna would be one of the attractions / challenges
Well...uh...now that you mention it. Actually I was thinking more along the lines of staying put in one place for a while and dating all the tourist fauna. Kinda like this guy...just with bigger shorts.

Although I could see that getting old after a while.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 19:34   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
i donot race no rdo i enjoy the oxymoronic adventure of sailboat racing. i like to cruise under sail
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
You know, zeehag does have a very good point.

You may meet lots of people by joining a club, but I bought a boat to live on it, cruise, travel, sight see, jump off the back to go swimming, scuba dive, put around in a dingy, grill...with a few drinks of course, and probably even do some fishing. I have ZERO interest in racing and question weather I really would have all that much in common with people in a sailing or yacht club.

Are cruisers and racers really all that like minded?
Sorry to confuse. My point was not about racing. It was about finding people interested in boats in the first place. Twlilight and beercan racing in many ways is not racing. It's 1/2 racing and 1/2 social.

You can tell pretty quickly the people who are just into social vs. people who are into boats.

I have people who ping me to go sailing. I get them on board, they have a good time, they want to come back. They get into it a little bit and then invariably they will cancel less than 24 hours before a sail and become unreliable. Soccer game, dinner commitments etc. They just aren't into boats enough. We are not out there cruising but we sail at least 1 day a week and most often 2 days a week. We do weekend overnights etc. etc.

There are a solid core of people who hound me every week and have never missed a sail in 2 years. These are the keepers.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 20:18   #149
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well.... lets put it this way... I've met more women through being on the water than I've ever met on the net.... but then I'm a visual person...
I need to see their eyes. the body language, their voice and the sound of their laughter... on the net I feel like a naughty little boy who hides dirty mags under his mattress... its just to impersonal and phony... but then beating my meat at a keyboard is definitely NOT my thing... Low Sex Drive..??
A dinghy pulling into the beach and being flipped over to scrub the bottom.... or even to just lay on the beach always attracts attention and curiosity... you've just gotta go with the flow... being somewhere new does not make you less attractive than back home... your accent, your dress sense all serve as ice breakers and curiosity will always win through... then its up to you... they may not be quite to your taste but one of their friends might just be.
I've no complaints about dating on the water...
Keeping ems another thing... but hey.. nothing is forever.. no matter how much we try to kid ourselves. Its all about the quality while you've got it...
and beautiful memories that make you smile....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote