Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 18:32   #31

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
blow up your tv and throw away your papers.

REALLY . . . get rid of E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G you don't need.

How can anyone ever leave a big comfortable home if they've got TOO MUCH STUFF?

I have been paring my life's ownership for the past 2 years with the idea that I really don't need much of this stuff regardless of living in a house, a barn or a boat.

My idea is that if, on my death-bed . . . at the time of my death, I feel I would have regretted not owning a "thing", then I'd be likely not to get rid of it.

BUT, in all honesty, when I'm on my death-bed, I don't think I'm likely to worry about such trivial incidentals of life.

I hope(and expect) to rid myself of enough stuff that a 26' boat would be more than enough boat.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:49   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Living aboard takes some changes....not insurmountable.....you will be amazed at how little you really need.

If you become a liveaboard, be an asset to any marina you are in...keep your boat and pier clean, help out when you can....and TIE OFF YOUR HALYARDS!!!!!!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 19:16   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I don't think that buying the boat and begining long term cruising can wisely happen at the same time. I would consider living aboard with the secure job (this strategy saves money) and as you gain sailing experience, increase your cruising range and experience with holiday cruises. From this springboard position you would be able to better judge your timing and funds available for fulltime cruising. "take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 18:59   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
Amen to "Tie off your halyards" and I might add that you should tie them off no matter what! Can't tell you how many nights we've been awakened by slapping halyards when the winds increase. Still beats living in a house!

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 04:33   #35

Boat: hunter 31 " Jacobs Dream"
Send a message via ICQ to Charlesc Send a message via Yahoo to Charlesc
Well I am new to the forum and have been a lurker and even lost he adress to the site before bookmarking it.
But here is my 2 cents worth Hoola for what its worth.

I have always enjoyed being on the water andnow make my living as a tugboat captain. I enjoy the best of both worlds as i Live aboard a 78ft 2000 hp boat and get paid for it rather weelll for 21 days at a time then im off 10 days to play on my H-30 sailboat. My only regrets are that i got started on my captains lic at age 38 rahter than younger.
At the age of 22 and with your credentials , I might consider keeping my job as mentioned earlier, save up for a nice boat, and make sure it is in your blood before biting the bullet.

Best of luck to you and fair winds;

Captain Charles Creel
200Ton Master
S/V Jacob's Dream
www.gulftel.com/charlesc
Charlesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 21:20   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
I also meant to mention that I currently live in Maryland so I would be looking to sail out of either a Baltimore or Annapolis marina, or possibly even Havre de Grace.
You're in Maryland?! If you haven't done so already, run out right now & pick up a copy of Spinsheet Magazine. Free at WestMarine. You'll get the inside scoop on local boating opportunities. Better yet, go to their webpage SpinSheet - Chesapeake Bay Sailing . They have crew listings. This is a great way to get into the local boating scene at no cost. Annapolis is a fabulous place to try sailboat racing- you may not know a thing about sailing, but there are boatowners who are just looking for rail meat (people who sit on the side of the boat and move from side to side as ballast). You will learn more about boating from racing than you can imagine. Who knows, maybe you'll even meet the sailing partner that will share this adventure with you.

Or if you're single, join Singles on Sailboats, an Annapolis based organization that's dedicated to cruising the Chesapeake Bay.

(We sailed in the Chesapeake for 15 years before heading off to go cruising.)

~ Susan
Old 30-08-2009, 21:21   #37

Location: Mostly on the boat. Occasionally at our condo in Port St Lucie, FL.
Boat: Manta 42 Sailcat -Toucan Dream
Hoolahoo,

You've already got a lot of change going on. Don't buy anything yet. Rent a cheap condo. Get comfortable with your job and career. Learn to sail as a hobby. Join a sailing club. Save a lot of money. Along the way get to know some livaboards. And find a companion that may share your desire to live aboard. There are some that live on small boats but it is very difficult. Even a 40' boat is way smaller than the smallest apartment. Sorry to sound so directive. I'm 57 and have lived the "traditional life" and lived aboard. Both were great for me. Now retired we live on our boat most of the year and stay at our condo a few months. Life is good in both places.

Best wishes to you!

Chris
SV Toucan Dream
chris blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 22:21   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I would call it your “Next Step” rather than your “First Step”, since you have accomplished quite a bit but seem disenchanted with the standard future.

This is where I would actually advise you to step back and ask yourself:

“What is my greatest joy and satisfaction that makes me intrinsically happy with what I can do?”

Then figure out a way to make enough money doing this to become successfully independent, but most of all happy in your endeavors.

Avoid any debt so as to maintain your freedom of choice.

Take time to sail on other people’s boat so as to understand completely if that liveaboard reality is right for you

The key point is not to; run away to sea, but to embrace it for all the right reasons and within a position of personal strength and self awareness.

Best of luck, but most importantly…Have Fun !
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 08:27   #39

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I would suggest that Hollahoo17 is having some doubts about "who he really is and where he fits in the world." That is probably true of 99.9% of people his age and finding a cheap and good boat to live on is IMHO the best way to find the answer to that question at best or at worst at least find out some areas he does not want to pursue.
- - Life is about experiences and balance. Living and sailing on a boat will teach perspective about the world and your place in it; humility if you try of "mess with Mother Nature," and self-reliance just keeping yourself alive "out there." Those lessons are not available living on land in the virtual "nurf suits" governments provide everybody with - protecting you from yourself.
- - A year or two sailing/cruising up and down the east coast and across to the near islands is a life experience that will set you apart and IMHO, above the others when a career is started. You can even parse the trips into segments with returns to maintain career talents and accumulate more money before pressing on in your journey.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote