Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 13:21   #31

Re: When it's time to quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
I met an old timer a few years ago who asked me if I had a tape measure. He stretched it out to 81. "Ya know what this number is? It's the average age a man lives to. I'm at 75 so I have six more years til I hit that mark." It is quite visual.

Of course, he was intending on going beyond that. But .. it struck home. I now have 15 years to that mark and this fall, after I liquidate all the equipment in my business, the boat and I head South, artificial knee and all.

I'm going out kicking, if I can have any say in it. And I look forward to helping out old timers I run into along the way. Won't be long and I'll be one.
It depends on if it is in inches or cm.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 13:48   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We all know it will be "sometime"; none knows when. The awareness of coming towards the end of the string kind of sneaks up on you and pounces.

People who grew up after the Depression of the late 20's and 30's were better fed in the US than anywhere else I know of, and those people had dental care, too. They are living lots longer than the originally thought of 60-65.

I guess we're like the other animals, we just keep on doing what we do till we can't do it any more.

Captain Eric, thanks for helping the old guy. It's a real talent to be able to help someone without their feeling demeaned, and I sense you've done it just right. Good on ya.

Ann
Old 24-07-2015, 14:06   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I get your point, but I think average for the US is like 76?
He's closer than he thought
That's probably down in the deep south where you guys still eat deep fried candy bars.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 14:54   #34

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Captain Eric, thanks for helping the old guy. It's a real talent to be able to help someone without their feeling demeaned, and I sense you've done it just right. Good on ya.

Ann

Thanks Ann. I try to respect others and my elders especially.

The dryers at the marina laundry didn't work well so my lady would drive to a laundry. The WiFi had limited range so many tenants used cable or monthly services. The access gate was a fight to get through.

All fairly simple fixes but the fact that I just tended to them as well as other issues, instead of reporting them, started the permanent residents to call on me for advice and assistance when we bring the boat back to this locale.

They call me MacGyver since I fixed the dryers. It was a years old vent design problem but actually simple to repair.

The property is owned by the city and the harbor master has to fight red tape to get things done. I ask forgiveness instead of permission as a rule.

Given the choice between plugging into an iffy shore power connection and spending time making it safe, I have chosen the latter more than once.

While my routine on my boat keeps me pretty busy, it is my pleasure to be able to assist when I can.

But not upside down in the bilge.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 24-07-2015, 15:10   #35

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Quote:
He's closer than he thought
A64pilot, you must be confused...smile. 76 will be the new retirement age before you blink an eye with the way US debt and ability to control it continues to spiral out of control
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:38   #36

The older your boat gets the more things reach the end of their service life... regardless of how well maintained the systems are. It's what happens when "things" age. And of course you probably face more difficult tasks maintaining and repairing... new skills and problems never before encountered.

At some point keeping things up may consume almost all the boat time and so you become a maintenance mechanic. Not fun unless that's what you like. At least sail boats can be enjoyed without a motor.... some times.

Having recently lost the pulley on the water cooling pump... I experience... a no engine use situation - no refrigeration... no alternator battery charging... no hot water and of course no motoring because the engine could not be cooled.

Pump was no longer in production... finally found apparently the last one sitting on some shelf somewhere... it leaked... but the engine / systems were useable. Found a super rebuild shop for the pump... a few miles from the mooring. They fixed it, balanced the pulley seems like I am good to go... but it cost 2 boat units... and lots of time taking things on and off.

I expect more surprises in the not too distant future... well maintain 30 year old yacht is.... old.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:03   #37

Quote:
If you are male and born in the US in 2011, yes. If you are male in the US and already 75 in 2011, then your life expectancy is about 86.

According to this: Actuarial Life Table
_QB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 18:30   #38

Boat: MacGregor 26X

Sometimes it all falls down around you and there is nothing to do but try to fight your way through it. Sometimes it is nothing but blue skies and fair winds.
It finally gets to the point where you can struggle through the troubles to reach the dream or is the dream over.
It is an personal decision for each of us to make on their own.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 02:25   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
That had a whole nother meaning back in the day.

Glad you pointed that out... I had forgotten there was a newer meaning.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-07-2015, 06:59   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Therapy indeed. Will see 70 soon. Been around boats all my life and currently working on a big project (3 years so far). No money. When asked recently why I do this my answer was: "What else am I going to do?". Sit on the couch and watch TV?
Sometimes it's overwhelming. Have to do everything myself but I am happy when doing simple things. "Retirement" holds no interest for me. Without a project life holds no interest for me.
Do what you can. Have something to get up in the morning for. Never quit. Life will take care of that for us. Slow down. Never hurry.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 09:23   #41

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Cap Erict3, I'll add my thanks to Anne's. Sometimes it's just the good feeling of knowing there are still good folks out there willing to lend a helping hand that carry you thru to the next day.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 16:51   #42

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
No one ever died saying "I wish, I would have spent more time at work.".
Maybe, maybe not, but consider Keith Richards, Hugh Hefner….I don't know, this statement may be made yet.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 08:28   #43

Boat: Skookum 53'

Nobody ever died saying "I wish I hadn't had all that sex". Most people have jobs that they are good at, a lucky few have a job that they are passionate about, for the rest of us, it is an means to an end.
Old 26-07-2015, 14:17   #44

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Nobody ever died saying "I wish I hadn't had all that sex".
Ummm... how about the guy dying of AIDS or the Bubonic Clap?

Jim
Old 26-07-2015, 15:08   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Back when I was looking for my second boat (and between boats) and entranced by speed under sail, I answered an ad to crew (no pay) for a guy who had a corsair trimaran of the type I was considering. Just day sailing near shore in the open pacific outside Oceanside CA.

This gentleman was 82 years old, and I crewed for him a number of times. He'd slipped his boat even though it was trailer-able to reduce effort. He put his ad in craigslist and if he didn't get enough crew for his liking (2-3) on a particular day, he would call me back and say the sail was off.

He only helmed, and barked orders like a salty old captain. It pissed off a lot of younger slackers learning to sail, but I understood where he was coming from and we became friends. The last few times we sailed together we'd sail just he and I because he trusted my competence to handle everything excepting the helm.

The last time we pulled in, at the end of the day, he asked if I'd like to go have a beer, which was the first time I'd heard of him drinking, and the first time he ever said anything other than "goodbye, see you next time" after we'd tied off.

We sat down at the marina bar and had beers and oysters, and he said "Well, that was my last sail. I'm going to have the yard haul the boat onto the trailer and ship it to my son in San Francisco."

I asked him why, and he said it was just time. Didn't really explain his reasons, but I had noticed a decline in his vigor over a few months.

I said my goodbyes and never saw him again. His son called me six months later and asked if I was interested in the boat; his dad had told him to call me if he didn't want to keep it after he passed. I allowed that I had ruled out trimarans as too small for my family, and asked about his dad. He'd died peacefully in his sleep about two weeks prior, having moved into a senior living center near his son in the Bay Area.

We talked a bit about his dad and I related some stories about his last days sailing. His son teared up and admitted that he disliked sailing with his father because of his father's demeanor towards crew, and asked why it didn't bother me. Not being his son I didn't take it personally and having been in the Navy I understood the need and purpose for efficiency in communication. He said he wished he could have gotten there. We talked for about an hour, and I related some stories his father had told me about him that indicated he was very proud of him. In all a very nice chat.

It convinced me to sail until I just can't anymore, and showed me how to do it. There are plenty of kids eager to learn who will do the work if you let them aboard.

I learned a lot from him, about sailing and about life.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote