Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2010, 14:05   #16

Boat: Beneteau 36
Do Canadian cruisers spending the winter season in Florida have any issues with the tax collectors there ?

Just curious.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 16:47   #17

Dinner key marina is on Key Biscayne. Nice for biking Crandon park and Cape Florida. S Beach is about 20 min. away by car. Unless your in your 20s have lots of$$$$ S beach gets old quickly.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 17:00   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Dinner Key is in Coconut Grove. Crandon Marina is at Key Biscayne. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 14:18   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
Hey Tomjack,

What did you ever decide? I'm looking at doing the same exact thing in about a year. I'm looking at a 35-40ft monohull.

Thanks!
Bill
billnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Where to Liveaboard in Miami ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
OK, It is not right at South Beach but it is in Coconut Grove, which is a very nice area for shops, restaurants, etc.
Actually, IMHO,Coconut Grove is a much more "happening" place with jazz clubs and some fabulous restaurants. The whole area has many marinas, both in the City of Miami system and private marinas. You will see some totally outrageous women's clothing in shops that you would only think could be worn inside to avoid violating public decency laws - only to see local Latin young ladies walking down the street in such outfits.
- - It is an easy bus ride or great walk to downtown Miami which is also a very "happening" place especially around Miami Bayside Marina.
- - Problem with the Miami area is there are too many good places to put a boat. You can go to the Miami City Marinas website and each of the many "city" marinas will be listed with their prices. However, back before the world financial collapse (recently) getting space in any of them was near impossible due to long waiting lists.
- - Crandon Park Marina and Marine Stadium Marina are across the bay from the mainland and getting to the downtown areas is more difficult. Of course having a car there would solve that problem.
- - As an "out of State" person you will need to register the boat in Florida and also any cars you have. But that is really easy and not onerous. Florida makes most of its money off "snow birds" or transients so is quite adept at facilitating your needs - for a price. Even if the boat is USCG documented you will need to register it with Florida.
- - Oh! the Miami River is a very commercial/industrial area and narrow to boot. Not to mention the bridges. Like the New River in Ft Lauderdale it can be a challenge to navigate with a wide boat such as a catamaran.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 15:52   #21

My wife and I lived in Rickenbacker Marina (Just at the east base of the bridge). They had the nicest and most helpful staff of any marina we have been to yet. Its not a far drive (all highway) to south beach. Not to mention it is probably one of the best marinas on the bay to keep your boat protected from storms. Cant say enough good things about this place.
Rickenbacker Marina at Key Biscayne - Yatchs, Boats, Catamarans, Sailboats and Jet Skis
SaltyDogCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 15:58   #22

I almost forgot...Key Biscayne has a HUGE road
bicycle scene!
SaltyDogCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:31   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Florida makes most of its money off "snow birds" or transients so is quite adept at facilitating your needs - for a price. "
Yup. About $500 to bring your own car into Florida, register and title it for the first time. And since registrations are dated for your birthday and not pro-rated...If you bring a car in in April but your birthday is May? That's right, you pay a full year's registration for that one first month!
Might be the same for boats, worth checking ahead.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:51   #24

Boat: Privilege P43

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - Oh! the Miami River is a very commercial/industrial area and narrow to boot. Not to mention the bridges. Like the New River in Ft Lauderdale it can be a challenge to navigate with a wide boat such as a catamaran.
Contrary to the aforementioned advice about the Miami River, it is sufficiently wide for most of its length to simultaneously accomodate transiting cats (mine has a beam of 25ft) and 400 ft freighters under tow by tugs. And, it's only the upper 1/3rd that is considered "industrial". Having docked on the river for more than 15 years, I have found that it is also an excellent "hurricane hole" and the brackish water greatly extends time between haulouts for bottom jobs. The New River in FLL is equally hospitable and accomodating, so I suggest checking out both. If you would prefer to swing on the hook, check out the anchorages north and east of Watson Island. Good luck.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:52   #25

As to registering/titling in Florida it is not necessary to re-title the car/boat in Florida if you are a seasonal transient. Florida has a "visitor" type registration system for folks who every year come down from the snowy north in the winter and then return north in the spring. It is not as much money as setting up a residence in Florida. New residents is prorated for the part of a year until your birthday - see: The Mail Room*»* Vehicle Registration

- - As to the Miami & New River I said it was "challenging" not impossible or difficult. With local experience/knowledge most anyplace becomes less than a challenge. But for a first timer or someone with minimal experience in their boat, it can be terrifying for the newbie and for the down-river moving tug/barge/whatever when they see an erratic boat heading up their way.
Old 08-04-2011, 21:45   #26

There is a place called Yacht Haven in Ft. Lauderdale. It is a combo RV/ Marina. It is west of I-95 on St.Rd. 84. Went thru once. It seems like a nice place. Showers/ laundry with a gated entrance and parking at your dock. It is only about a 1/2 mile or so from I-95 so it is easy to get anywhere but the park itself is very quiet.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:29   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
There is a place called Yacht Haven in Ft. Lauderdale. It is a combo RV/ Marina. It is west of I-95 on St.Rd. 84. Went thru once. It seems like a nice place. Showers/ laundry with a gated entrance and parking at your dock. It is only about a 1/2 mile or so from I-95 so it is easy to get anywhere but the park itself is very quiet.
Looks like a great place but it is on the "other" side of I-95 which has a fixed bridge with a posted 55ft vertical clearance. Few sailboats can get past that bridge.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:53   #28
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

If you want low profile option, I keep my boat at Brickell Key marina, in the hart of Brickell area, lots of night life and close to everything, we even have the metromover. But just water and electricity, no services or personal at marina
Old 09-04-2011, 11:38   #29

Osirissail, you are right. My air draft is 48' so I didn't think about that. I used to rent a dock out there. Going under 95 is a PIA anyway. There is a railroad bridge just a few feet west of 95 that tri-rail uses. You can't see it from the east side and if it goes down you get stuck under I-95.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:08   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita View Post
If you want low profile option, I keep my boat at Brickell Key marina, in the hart of Brickell area, lots of night life and close to everything, we even have the metromover. But just water and electricity, no services or personal at marina
Do you know if they have slips available? And where exactly in Brickell is it located? What is their depth (dock and access)? Thank you

Tags
miami