Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2022, 23:08   #1

Where to Live Aboard on a Budget on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland

Hi all, my husband and I are in the process of buying a catamaran in the Sunshine Coast and I need to figure out where we will live once we have the boat purchased.

We are both from WA originally so don't know QLD waters well enough to know where the best anchorages are, etc. and the marinas, while beautiful, look quite pricey and (at least in the case of the Mooloolaba Marina) not to thrilled about live aboards.

We are currently staying in Birtinya with some friends and would like to stay close-ish to the area if possible as they are fellow sailors and will be helping us adjust to live aboard. We plan to hang around here for a couple months as we find our sea legs then head north to cruise.

Does anyone who currently lives aboard in this area want to share some tips with a newbie? It would be greatly appreciated

Oh and for reference our boat will hopefully be a 13 m catamaran with a 7 m beam and a 1.3 m draft.
Old 09-02-2022, 23:38   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Where to Live Aboard on a Budget on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland

Welcome to Cruisers Forum, WWW.

You'll no doubt note the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki graphic, just above ^ (and to the left of your username). Click that graphic and you'll be at the Cruisers Wiki.

The Cruisers Wiki is an introductory guide to:

* ports in QLD - see: https://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Queensland
* specifically Mooloolaba - see: https://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Mooloolaba

Zulu Waterways, which is not associated with Cruisers Forum, should also be a useful resource: https://www.zuluwaterways.com/
Old 09-02-2022, 23:50   #3

We lived aboard at Mooloolaba Marina for a few years on our 12m catamaran up until last year. We went off cruising for 5-6 months a year but the Marina was our home base.
They have limits on the number of liveaboards allowed but you should have no problem for a few months.
A cheaper alternative is to find a private pontoon in the canals that the home owner wants to rent but most don't want liveaboards at the bottom of the garden!
Not much else - some have lived aboard in the duck pond ( the Mooloolah River anchorage area upstream of The Wharf). In theory you are restricted to 14 days per annum but is not well enforced.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:32   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

WWW I think you will be lucky to find anywhere near the Sunshine coast to live aboard hassle free. You could try the Noosa river, it seems crowded with a lot of live aboards. Tin Can bay has a big anchorage where you can live without a problem.
Are you buying the cat I am surveying next week?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 14:18   #5

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Sounds like you need to do some anchoring, duck pond in mooloolaba or Tin can bay maybe commuting between, both have chandlery, your first expense maybe upgrading the dinghy and something else to paddle for redundancy purposes.
Old 10-02-2022, 15:33   #6

Boat: Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Ways West View Post
Hi all, my husband and I are in the process of buying a catamaran in the Sunshine Coast and I need to figure out where we will live once we have the boat purchased.

We are both from WA originally so don't know QLD waters well enough to know where the best anchorages are, etc. and the marinas, while beautiful, look quite pricey and (at least in the case of the Mooloolaba Marina) not to thrilled about live aboards.

We are currently staying in Birtinya with some friends and would like to stay close-ish to the area if possible as they are fellow sailors and will be helping us adjust to live aboard. We plan to hang around here for a couple months as we find our sea legs then head north to cruise.

Does anyone who currently lives aboard in this area want to share some tips with a newbie? It would be greatly appreciated

Oh and for reference our boat will hopefully be a 13 m catamaran with a 7 m beam and a 1.3 m draft.
If you want to PM me at jimvtom@gmail.com am happy to discuss in further detail
Kinchega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 18:19   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Well you live on a boat, so only the view changes.

From where you are, go north. When you run out of land, turn NE. when you hit land, check in then go easterly. Keep going. If you need an end destination for a goal it’s called Otang Java.
Old 10-02-2022, 23:20   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You might be able to base in Gladstone. Check the insurance, for that.

That will allow you a lot of exploration, and fun destinations. Whatever your long term plans for the boat, you need to spend some time locally cruising with a base to which you can return for provisioning and warm to hot showers, and water top offs. As you experience living on your boat, many of your attitudes are likely to change. It is a good deal to be where you can support that fact of life. It pertains to you and your good husband.

Ann
Old 11-02-2022, 01:09   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Of you don't mind being excreted occasionally by a flood Maryborough is a good choice. A small marina with a choice of pontoon or swing moorings a couple of blocks from a supermarket, some reasonable pubs, good access to Brisbane by train, most services available either there or at the Fraser Coast. And the great Sandy Straits if you want to get away from it all for a while. Sunshine coast not too distant (day trips doable) if you have a car.
Old 12-02-2022, 18:25   #10

Rocky River Upstream in centre of city has moorings. some living aboard.
Ring Council and check with them.
Yeppoon has a nice marina but VERY exxy. Belongs to local cattle Baron. (Wilson)
No Kidding.
I kept my 32fter on the poles in there (Council)For about 12 yrs
But we live on hillside overlooking the islands. Yummm.
Question. Why the heck would you want to park a boat in one place if you live aboard.
See the world, or the country. That's why we do it.
Enjoy. Either way hey.
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 19:05   #11

Fore and Aft - Nope we're still looking, there was a Maxim 380 we seriously considering in the Gold Coast but decided we'd wait for something with a higher bridgedeck clearance, the stats I listed would be for our dream boat - a FP Belize 43.

Tags
budget, queensland