Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 10:23   #16

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Who's still cranking the winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Okay, I searched for it and couldn't find it...

Seems a bit of BS, but I guess possible. 89 yo had baby at age 14 and that baby had a baby at age 14. That would have the grandson at 61. Guess you could go 15/13, but either way still seems a bit BS. Of course, if the grandfather was 93 you could get 16/16.

If you can find the information, it can be cleared up.
Ok I was remembering an article in PBO UK from around 15yrs ago and I can't find it either!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:30   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Joe-
55 to 65 is the time when "perfectly healthy" people start having TIA's and strokes. And men start finding out that a prostate is one of the good lord's cruel jokes on the world. And then, sometimes, you get retinal problems as well. Not to say that everyone falls apart but a LOT of people get surprises in that age group.
So if you're a spry couple in great health with great genetic histories of health, by all means. Heck, back in high school our "ancient" outing club faculty (he must have been 70) could climb a mountain and finish his lunch before any of us could get up there to catch him. How people age is a very individual thing.
But you wife has a point, for many folks, having a home that doesn't require stairs, has level floors, accommodates disabilities, is near a medical support system...these can become more important things.
After you've both had thorough medicals and checked family histories, you can re-examine the issue.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Ok I was remembering an article in PBO UK from around 15yrs ago and I can't find it either!
I'm sure it was something close to what you remembered, but the math just didn't add up for me. Wish you could find an article on the crossing, because I bet it would be really interesting to read.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:59   #19

It may be that I miss remember the relationship and it was a cousin not a grandson
Old 27-06-2017, 11:12   #20

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

While in Japan we met and spent some time with Minoru Saito (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoru_Sait%C5%8D). He had just completed his 8th (!) solo circumnavigation at the age of 77 a couple years before. He and some friends took us on a walking tour around Yokohama one day. At the end of the day we were wiped out, he was still going strong. At that time he was talking about doing the Northwest passage next.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Joe-
55 to 65 is the time when "perfectly healthy" people start having TIA's and strokes. And men start finding out that a prostate is one of the good lord's cruel jokes on the world. And then, sometimes, you get retinal problems as well. Not to say that everyone falls apart but a LOT of people get surprises in that age group.
So if you're a spry couple in great health with great genetic histories of health, by all means. Heck, back in high school our "ancient" outing club faculty (he must have been 70) could climb a mountain and finish his lunch before any of us could get up there to catch him. How people age is a very individual thing.
But you wife has a point, for many folks, having a home that doesn't require stairs, has level floors, accommodates disabilities, is near a medical support system...these can become more important things.
After you've both had thorough medicals and checked family histories, you can re-examine the issue.
'Perfectly healthy' people don't start having strokes, unhealthy people who did not know they had high blood pressure and poor circulation do. The majority of disease in the 50-70 age group are related to lifestyle and environment not genetics so what you have done is more important than what you where born with. In your 40's the damage is often reversible, as you get older that becomes increasingly more difficult. The guidelines for nutrition and exercise are correct but often 'safe minimums' rather than ideal. What is happening currently in many advanced industrial societies is that the process of aging is advancing so even though average lifespan is going up (except USA) we see diseases of old age in younger and younger people
Old 27-06-2017, 12:28   #22

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

I'm 73, my wife is 67, and we just traded in our old 32 for a new 38, (Beneteau 38.1). Arriving next week. We plan on sailing for another 10 -15 years, and we don't plan on getting old.

We do go to the gym 4 days a week, do strength and cardio, and eat healthy, but thats for another email list.
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:49   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
. . .How people age is a very individual thing..
Yes, and genetics certainly plays a role. But lifestyle also plays a big role -- and being out cruising, in the fresh air every day, being physically and mentally active, can greatly slow down the aging process. People die real fast when they are bored and inactive and uninterested in life.

My father was still single handing in all kids of weather at 87. I think sailors keeping at it well into their 80's is not at all uncommon.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 13:46   #24

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia 36'

My wife and I are 73, in Fiji and loving every minute. The downside is not seeing the Grandkids. Facetime does help, though. We have hank on sails, no power winches, and no roller furling. I think besides your attitude and outlook on life, sailing is just a healthy lifestyle. I retired & We did the Baja Ha Ha in 2012. When we got to Puerto Vallarta, I had lost 60lbs...
SVRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 13:59   #25

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
While in Japan we met and spent some time with Minoru Saito (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoru_Sait%C5%8D). He had just completed his 8th (!) solo circumnavigation at the age of 77 a couple years before. He and some friends took us on a walking tour around Yokohama one day. At the end of the day we were wiped out, he was still going strong. At that time he was talking about doing the Northwest passage next.
Sailing seems to be an unusually healthy endeavor. Lots of exercise, clean air, and relaxation plus quiet. Until SHTF anyway.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 14:35   #26

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I'm 72 and not only am I still cranking the winch I am still pulling up my anchor chain by hand and breaking the anchor loose with a manual windlass.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 27-06-2017, 15:11   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Really it comes down to health. We never know what is coming around that corner. Strokes, cancer, deabilitating arthritic problems... if u r lucky u just slow down and age. Those are the people who are still sailing into late ages. My advice... go for your dream as soon as possible.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 15:42   #28

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

I'll join the parade to encourage others. Sixty is young and seventy is not that old either!

We have just completed a 22 year long circumnavigation and are now in French Guyana. I am a few months away from eighty and my partner is almost 68.

Our last couple of Ocean passages were across the Indian Ocean in 2016 and then the South Atlantic in 2017 via South Africa's Cape of Storms.

Of course we cheated as we did our long and beautifully slow circumnavigation in a Junk-rigged Tom Colvin Gazelle with which things like reefing and other sail handling is all done from not only a cockpit but a pilothouse to boot. weather gear">Foul weather gear? Still hanging unused in a cupboard!

Why suffer?

And 80 or not we are not moving ashore. We are however thinking of selling our beloved Gazelle and buying a horrid of horrids, Catamaran. Why? To have more visitors more comfortably as we 'retire' to sail the western Caribbean.

Age with a little luck, is a matter of attitude. And excellent health care is available all over the world often at much less cost and much shorter waiting times then in the good old USofA and even Canada. We can vouch for that from much personal experience.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 15:56   #29

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

The mentor for the youtube Sailing Emerald Steel couple build his own sailboat from tree's that he chopped down in his 70's. He was hand stitching 16 ounce sails when he was 76.

The Sailing Emerald Steel made their own 38' steel boat. That involved a great deal of welding and they don't really encourage most people to try it. Most never finish their boat. With 31 years of liveaboard experience, there is a couple that most can learn from. They also don't hammer the viewer for donations.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 16:06   #30

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

In 2010, I met a guy in Lauries Boatyard, Moololaba Austrailia, who was in his 80's and painting his 60 odd ft performance mono in prep for ANOTHER circumnavigation, via the great capes! Respect....
It can be done.

Tags
winch