Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 19:52   #136
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What gets me is the Three Doctors...Two MDs, one DR of Education who have "handicapped tags" just so they can take the closest spot at one marina I visit.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 21:24   #137

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
What gets me is the Three Doctors...Two MDs, one DR of Education who have "handicapped tags" just so they can take the closest spot at one marina I visit.
My Handicaped Tags just cost two thirds of my Heart to get. Just by looking at me you can't tell, on the outside. Don't be to jealous, they might actually deserve them!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 21:42   #138

Quote:
WIW*:
If it doesn't seem that economics and politics, by their very nature, favour the rich, then I submit that one of us doesn't understand either.
I wonder, in fact, where the rich don't have an advantage?
Likely in trying to find friends who like them for more than their money.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27   #139

Boat: Peterson 46
When you leave a marina and are cruising, it makes no difference whether you are a millionaire or a bum - same topics get discussed. You cant get on the mobile phone and call up the fridge mechanic - you have to do it yourself or accept the 'new normal'

Only multihull sailors (just jokes) and stinkboat skippers ask what you do for a living or how you manage your portfolio. Yachty's talk about the weather, engines, sealants , anchorages etc etc. Even Americans get in on the act!!! Quite normal away from home. (poor attempt at humour)
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:26   #140

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
I have just started sailing. My plan is to liveaboard in about 5 years. Spoke to the marina already. I am looking to be on a 30-35' boat by that time. They stated its about 4 years for a slip to become available, unless I buy a boat already in the marina. They don't seem to have any problem with liveaboard (its a set % of available slips). I spend my weekends and holidays aboard my boat. I have a key to the back door of the marina, to use the facilities at night. If a boat is coming in and everyone in the office is busy they call me on the radio to see if I can offer assistance or direct a boat coming in. I am already on good terms with the office and staff. I have helped a few neighbors when they are working on their boats. I do some work on the gardens around the marina.

Being a good neighbor has made a world of difference. They understand my character and habits already. I am an asset to them at this time. I see no problems when I move in permanently. Several boat owners already have nominated me for membership into the Yacht Club.

As someone stated, A few bad apples......well then the good apples need to weed out the bad. And thats the good liveaboarders, not just the renters.
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:57   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck1955
Being a good neighbor has made a world of difference.
Funny how that works, everywhere you go and in all walks of life, isn't it?

There are, of course, exceptions, but I find that about 99% of the time, people who complain about repeatedly being treated poorly by others are those who repeatedly treat others poorly.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:13   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
My Handicaped Tags just cost two thirds of my Heart to get. Just by looking at me you can't tell, on the outside. Don't be to jealous, they might actually deserve them!
A couple of years ago, I was taxiing Maggie & her mother around to various stores. At one plaza, I was parked next to the Handi-Capped parking spaces, and watched a succession of able bodied a-holes (all driving Lexus’ or Mercedes) parking in the H.C. spaces.

My anger built until, finally, I shouted out my commiserations to one of these A-holes, regarding his obvious disability (NOT !!!).

The gentlemen walked back towards me, bared his chest showing his surgical scars, and explained about his recent triple bypass.

Mortified, I explained my growing frustration with the series of scofflaws I witnessed, and apologised to him.

He gracefully accepted my apologies, and thanked me for caring.

Things aren’t always, as they may first seem.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 06:30   #143
CLOD

Boat: none
But then again Gord he probably got his HC sticker BEFORE his bypass. I used to mountain bike with guys who had bypasses. Just because you've had a bypass doesn't mean you are handicapped.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 06:39   #144

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
I have a relative who is a doctor of radiology. he bought my elderly mother's car from her estate. when it was delivered, her handicapped card was still hanging from the rear view mirror.

I was told that he used it to park in handicapped spaces in front of the hospital where he works. That was a couple of years ago. don't know if he still does.

when he has time, he goes snowboarding. he works for the Air Force. he is in peak physical condition.

when I mentioned to his mother, who is an architect with a top secret security clearance to design government facilities, that this was dishonest, she got angry with me. In her opinion, he is just using up those wasted handicapped spaces close to the building. This way, someone else can use a non-handicapped space that he didn't take. her precious children are perfect and I'm just a jerk.

I don't get along with those relatives.

there are plenty of scofflaws out there mooching off the handicapped spaces. I know one of them.

it is true that plenty of people who don't appear to need a handicapped space do need them. I have a friend that fits that category.

It goes both ways.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 08:56   #145

Boat: pilot cutter
In my opinion, if a person has a 'handicapped' plate or placard and uses handicapped parking they better be in a wheelchair or displaying some other type of visible handicap or in my eyes they're abusing the system. In other words, if an individual has no visible physical limitations and is operating a motor vehicle then they should also be able to convey their lazy bulk from a regular parking space to their destination...and back again, just like everyone else has to do. Being fat, or having surgery or some other invisible 'limitation' doesn't qualify as being 'handicapped'. Sorry. Drive around until a closer parking space opens up if you're too lazy to walk 100 yards.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 09:05   #146

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
I lived aboard for 12 years in Alameda, Calif. (SF Bay). Great marina and a very enjoyable experience. I had two phone lines to my boat, pre Wi-Fi and cable hook- up. I was one of the few who sailed every other week end.
I contracted with a service to come by and pump my holding tank every three weeks.
Marinas owned by municipalities prohibited liveaboards due to insurance restrictions.
The Bay Conservation and Development Commision (BCDC) of SF Bay allowed only 10% of the slips per marina to be liveaboard.
There were, of course, 'sneak aboards'. But why discuss illegal activities on a public forum?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:17   #147

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
But then again Gord he probably got his HC sticker BEFORE his bypass. I used to mountain bike with guys who had bypasses. Just because you've had a bypass doesn't mean you are handicapped.
Dang right!

One of the main rehab exercises is WALKING!

http://www.ehow.com/way_5619893_hear...exercises.html

Duh.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:55   #148

Boat: CSY 37, "Someday"
Here in the UK, our (550 berth) marina has approx 20 liveaboards, including us. We also have the odd embarassing wooden junk store, but they tend to be hidden away in the corner!! The majority of us are very proud of our boats, and they are kept clean and tidy, sailing as often as possible.

Our relationship with our marina managment is excellent, and they know they can count on us to get involved with the many events they organise i.e Christmas sail parade (lighting up boats for xmas), Maritime festival (boat fancy dress)!!
even three of the employees are liveaboards.

All our 'weekend' friends feel assured when they are away, because they know we are keeping on eye on their boats, in bad weather we are out adjusting warps, fenders etc
As well as the staff, we are the eyes and ears, and help greatly with the safety and security, but we are lucky to have a manager, who is also a sailor and not just a business man.
Sue
Sue & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 22:39   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Handicapped parking, handicapped parking, handicapped parking, handicapped parking
There's lots of stuff to get pissed of about in this world.

- Someone in gov't decided that for every X spaces Y spaces needed to be special
- I am not disabled so I cannot use them
- If someone is in one it makes zero difference to me
- If I was handicapped and they were all full of non-disabled people, I'd be pissed

The farther I park from the entrance to the mall the more (needed) exercise I get.

I got way to many other things to be pissed about to worry about this one.

Like how the hell some guy gets an AARP card and the B*stard is still working - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 08:38   #150

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Like how the hell some guy gets an AARP card and the B*stard is still working - LOL...
Don't worry about this one either! AARP is a private membership organization. They start hounding you to join on your 55th birthday.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas