Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02   #166
Marine Service Provider

Re: Why Do Marinas Seem to Hate Liveaboards?

I lived aboard for many years and never felt any negative vibes. To the contrary I was thanked by harbormasters when I did things like subdue a furling headsail that came loose in a blow. The last American marina I lived aboard in was Marina Village in Alameda, California. The harbormaster at the time was Allan Weaver and he always had a friendly word and a smile when I saw him. If anyone is feeling hated by marina management, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Is my boat generally clean and presentable, or more of an eyesore?
2. Do I have crap strewn all over my boat or on the docks?
3. Is my boat usable?
4. Do I make use of the pumpout facilities or engage a service to pump out my holding tank?
5. Do I pay my slip rent on time?
6. Am I a quiet and considerate neighbor?
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:08   #167

Boat: Newport

Right -

There is always an eyesore on every dock. If you look around and all the other boats seem tidier than yours. Then your boat it the eyesore and you need to whip it into shape...

Also, if you can do it, pay the marina through direct deposit. Nothing says, 'not a problem' like acting as a human ATM machine.
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:36   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Curran View Post
Right -

There is always an eyesore on every dock. If you look around and all the other boats seem tidier than yours. Then your boat it the eyesore and you need to whip it into shape...
The issue in many marinas is the NON-liveaboard with a butt ugly filthy boat that never gets visited.

I've had discussions with our marina management about those eyesores, one in particular that was berthed next to us for many years.

Our liveaboards are a great bunch of folks who value their assets as well as those of them around them.

I think the stupid mindset of marinas and coastal commissions has ended up creating a paradigm that is gonna be tough to overcome.

Too bad.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:42   #169

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Curran View Post
Right -

Change that from "boat" to "home" and it goes for neighborhoods as well. The problem is, many people feel that if they pay for it the can do whatever they please with it. Nobody has a right to tell them how to maintain their boat (or home).
Old 08-02-2015, 16:43   #170

Boat: 1974 Cascade 36, 1970's martin 29 racer/cruiser, 40 indonesian teak atkinson project dual mast ketch

Marina owners can be a pain in the ass, Smart marinas have started charging an extra liveaboard fee to cover the extra Garbage, Power, and Water Use, Showers are pay for a every dock here so they make Money off them, its 6 bucks for a 11 minute shower here with crappy water pressure and takes a minute for the hot water to come on at Van isle Marina which is Easily the Most expensive up to date marina in the Vancouver island BC / Lower mainland Area. I maintain my Cascade 36 Pretty Well, and liveaboard full time. Instead of paying 500 plus a month I dropped my own 2000 pound Mooring and rented a dinghy spot for 50 bucks. Problem solved.
Captain-Shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:33   #171

Boat: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Shawn28 View Post
Marina owners can be a pain in the ass, Smart marinas have started charging an extra liveaboard fee to cover the extra Garbage, Power, and Water Use, Showers are pay for a every dock here so they make Money off them, its 6 bucks for a 11 minute shower .
Yikes
That's a pricey shower. I used to pay a couple bucks in quarters over in Seattle marinas. I think you're mooring is a great solution.
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:38   #172

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Shawn28 View Post
......... Smart marinas have started charging an extra liveaboard fee to cover the extra Garbage, Power, and Water Use, ...........
That seems reasonable to me. The other option would be to raise the rates for everyone to cover the extra expense for liveaboards. that would be unfair to non-liveaboards.
Old 13-02-2015, 04:34   #173
o_q

This is just a guess. I suppose boats without humans inside are easier to deal with.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 09:43   #174

Boat: 1973 Irwin28

Hello all, I live at a marina in Charleston S.C.. Its located up the Ashley river and has " Dolphin" in its name. The place is a complete and total dump! No customer service and they are raising rates. We have the same problem with people living on mostly small sailboats who don't know and do not want to know anything about what they are living on...and yes they are total pigs! There is no screening here and people just waned in and start living there..yes I have complained but for some reason " management" and I say that extremely loosely ends up letting them stay. Mostly young kids who end up getting drunk all the time. The docks are a complete nightmare.. Cleats constantly ripping out of the dock...the docks coming apart because the idiots are to cheap to use screws instead of nails! And yes I am leaving...and never coming back. If at all avoid this dive if you possibly can. Not worth your time or money!
Irwinsailor1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 16:54   #175

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

What about "don't ask, don't tell"?

We were recently interviewing marina's in the Florida panhandle. One of the marina's that we really LOVED had a "no live aboard" rule. So, I probed them..

Me...."what if we were here.. A LOT?"
Marina rep.. "oh.. we love it when people are here a lot"..
Me... "well.. what if we were here so often that it would almost seem like we were ALWAYS here?"
Marina rep.. "we've never kicked out a slip holder for being here too often".

So, what we plan on doing.. is getting a slip.. living aboard. Keeping our boat in pristine shape (as we do with all of our possessions)... Not telling anyone we are living aboard... If they ask... we just really like to spend a lot of time here... If they push it, we will just show them proof of permanent residency on land.. (my folks home will be our permanent residence)..

So.. this is our plan... not sure what will happen if someone presses the issue... Anyone do something similar?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 17:23   #176

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Sounds good.
No one will think you are living on an O'day 22 anyway.
Old 26-10-2016, 18:14   #177

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Sounds good.
No one will think you are living on an O'day 22 anyway.
lol! we aren't going to live on the O'Day... we are currently shopping for our much larger liveaboatd boat.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 19:32   #178

Boat: Valiant 40

It's interesting the difference in attitudes from marina to marina. In Annapolis, one of the most expensive marinas in town, with around 200 slips, has about 60 liveaboards. They even encourage it, but the place is neat as a pin and there is a community ethic about what's Ok and what's not.

Other marinas in town adamantly refuse liveaboards.

I think the reasons vary depending on the local, the facilities, and the clientele. For some marinas it's a financial decision, for some it's a maintenance/cleanliness issue, and for others it's a cultural issue.

There's a marina in Deale that has a number of liveaboards, on boats that I doubt could even leave the slip without being towed. There is a sign there "No Liveaboards on Boats on the Hard". For most marinas that would be a liability/sanitation issue. For this one I think it's to prevent owners of boats that are about to sink just having them hauled and continuing to call them home.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 19:57   #179

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Wow!

This thread has been an amazing journey. I know of a couple places (as in TWO) that will allow live-aboards (and until I am secured in one of them, I am not telling where!), and costs are high in both, considering the facilities available (well, one is not too bad, the other is high).

I am definitely going to get a better dingy too, because I know that if I have to keep using my mooring after my refit is complete, the current tender is not going to be a good solution, it just does have enough freeboard for my safety comfort. I will be happy when I am able to get into a decent location with good facilities and a reasonable cost. Wow!

I intend to be sailing more than 3 days a week on average, with week long trips several times each season, but I will also likely be living on board a bit as well, while perhaps not full time until I get a larger sailboat. Still, the picture this thread presents is a rather bleak one!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 11:00   #180

Boat: Sold Catalina 250
Why Do Marinas Seem to Hate Liveaboards?

Some marinas do not consider you a live aboard as long as you have another address. San Diego for example has reverse snowbirds that come from AZ and stay on boat for months. They do not consider them live aboard. I asked marina, how long is too long? They said as long as you have another address, not considered live aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas