Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2008, 05:13   #106
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I lived in Emery Cove in Emeryville. I paid extra for the privelege of being a livaboard. In my mind that took care of the trash, and me being in the shower daily. My electric was a set fee, but larger boats had meters.

There were a couple of people that had on going projects. They could have done better at keeping the area free of parts. All in all thoughm the livaboards are like security. At times I would furl other peoples sails who left their boats unattended in storms. Every year I would put extra dockline on my neighbor's boat when storms came through.

There are those that will always take advantage of a situation, and make things worse. These just need to be asked to leave. We just had that happen in the marina I am in now. Both marinas I have lived in full time have kept the place fairly tidy, and the facilities clean. It is also nice to have neighbors whose passion is extremely close to your own.

When ever I have lived ashore although I would say hello, and wave to my neighbors. It seems I would just a grunt, and recognition in return. Eventually I just quit being friendly with them.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 07:46   #107

I have 5 to 6 liva aboards on my dock. They are all great. You would not know it looking at their boats. They have the best brightwork, awnings and covers around. I'm glad to have the extra security. I belive my marina agrees. The marina does meter the elec. and charge and extra $150/mon to live aboard, but it seems to work for them. On my boat it would be around $550/mon to live aboard. Hell of a deal compared to an apartment in the same neighborhood. I do have to say that their boats never leave the slip. They are not cruisers.
Old 22-07-2008, 09:48   #108

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 35 Suncoast Ladee
In my travels I really can't say that I've come across liveaboards that were living like pigs. In search of boats to purchase I certainly came across a great many that were in total disrepair parked both in marinas and at the homes of some wealthy people. It almost made you cry.
PDEVOLEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 11:02   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDEVOLEJR View Post
David.

Any marina that I ever used as a liveaboard charged for power and water, garbage and etc. You were also told what you could or couldn't keep in the marina. I have even stayed in marinas that wouldn't accept houseboats or sailboats as they claimed they were the worst offenders of the things you mention.
Ditto that. Most marinas charge a special liveaboard fee. I personally know of three cases where the keen eye of a liveaboard prevented a boat from sinking at the dock. So, there are benefits as well as drawbacks.

In any case, I suspect the marinas will soon become a lot less picky. The marina where I am at has seen a precipitous decline in slips filled this summer due to the economy and high fuel prices. I am sure they are quite happy to have a few "sure things" out there right now!
Old 22-07-2008, 12:26   #110

Hi Folks, I'm glad you are all talking about this subject still. I want to find a liveaboard marina in the LA or Ventura area. I work in Santa Monica and do field work in the Santa Monica Mountains. I've got a good job, good credit, a nice, clean, solid, old 30 foot fiberglass sailboat, lots of insurance and a recent survey.

If I don't find a place soon, I'll need to find a job in San Diego. Its funny how the boat now takes priority in life.
seasidesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 13:03   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidesis View Post
Hi Folks, I'm glad you are all talking about this subject still. I want to find a liveaboard marina in the LA or Ventura area. I work in Santa Monica and do field work in the Santa Monica Mountains. I've got a good job, good credit, a nice, clean, solid, old 30 foot fiberglass sailboat, lots of insurance and a recent survey.

If I don't find a place soon, I'll need to find a job in San Diego. Its funny how the boat now takes priority in life.

Call Cabrillo Marina run by California Yacht Marina. They seem to have 2 to 3 live aboard slips available at a time. They are in San Pedro, maybe a 40 min commute to SM, maybe more.
Old 09-08-2008, 21:20   #112

Great thread

Hi, I'm new too and just checking into a dream I've had a long time. I could not have hit a better forum to answer allmost all my questions. Thanks. Is there a web site or registry of free and paid harbor tie ups, bouy's, river axcess? If I buy a boat what is required by law just to operate it? Do I have to buy insurance if I don't live at a marina. The guy that was living with kids offshore sounded interesting. Allthough I don't think I could do it with kids. Can you feesibly just move up and down the Ca. coast or east coast anchoring at places and taking a dingy in to shop?
cmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 06:10   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
The marina I'm at looks likely to raise slip rental fees -- a very unwise move in the current economic environment. But there you have it -- I know of at least two liveaboards that are "outta here" as they say. I'm sure a few others to follow.

Considering there were more empty slips this summer than anyone can remember, the exodus looks to have cost them much more than they would have made in the higher fees.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:01   #114

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 35 Suncoast Ladee
Why do marinas seem to hate lieaboards

I am not aware of what is happening in Maryland. However my experience with being a liveaboard in Florida was taxes and garbage fees. The marinas are charged an assesement by the state for liveaboards that are in public waters so the marinas have to pass it on. I lived in one private marina that was not considered to be in public waters and the state was trying to assess them for liveboards. They simply banished liveaboards so they didn't have to comply with the regulations.

PHILIPHD
PDEVOLEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 19:29   #115

Boat: Spindrift (Starwind) 19, Catalina 22, Hobie 14, AMF Puffer 12
Why some hate live aboards....

I took this pic on Oahu in Hawaii... I was checking out the marina's there and....

Latitude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 03:10   #116

Boat: nebe cape 28
panama city fl city marina charges a 100.00 amonth live abord fee in addition to your slip fee not sure why, do to the fact you pay your own electric to the power company every month? were I live now are water bill for the month is around 40.00 a month and that is for two people and a washing machine which gets used once a week. we live on land now boat is living at the marina.
Old 25-11-2008, 14:55   #117
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by windshadow View Post
panama city fl city marina charges a 100.00 amonth live abord fee in addition to your slip fee not sure why, do to the fact you pay your own electric to the power company every month? were I live now are water bill for the month is around 40.00 a month and that is for two people and a washing machine which gets used once a week. we live on land now boat is living at the marina.
My marina (City Marina, Charleston) also charges $100 extra per month. But then, my slip fee includes water, electricity, cable, parking (the public pays to park there) and wireless internet. So, in my case it kinda makes sense. Doesn't sound quite as straight forward for you case, though... $100 worth of showers at the bath house?

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 16:23   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude42 View Post
I took this pic on Oahu in Hawaii... I was checking out the marina's there and....
That's just sad.

I'd love to live aboard someday and that is typical of why not so much marinas, but cities hate liveaboards.

One bad apple and all that...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 05:10   #119

Boat: nebe cape 28
DAC that sounds good,I think panama city was just sticking it to the livaboards, thay also passed laws prohibbiting any one else from having live abords around here thay are the only ones that can leagaly have them as far as I know.
Old 28-11-2008, 12:07   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We bought our first live-aboard boat in 1971 and since that time we have had long-term leases at eleven different marinas, mostly in Florida. Five of the marinas that were among our residences for the past 37 years had posted notices that they did not allow liveaboards. At each of the non-liveaboard marinas we were just one of six or more boats with permanant residents. Anyone inquiring by phone would get the standard answer, "no liveaboards". Anyone arriving in a sound vessel, and with a proven reliable character, was most often accepted and allowed to extend their stay. We increase our acceptance by having a mail service that is our "legal residence" i.e., St. Brendan's Isle,- This is the address on our Driver's licenses; Passports; Checkbooks; Voter's Registration.... Actually, there is little physicdal evidence that we live on our boat. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas