Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 13:59   #76

Boat: Hudson Force 50
Re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

I thought I would live aboard for the savings of money. I found that I saved more than money, I saved myself. I found new meaning in life. On a boat, I quickly know all of my neighbors. I have had neighbors assist my boat when I was away during a storm and I have done the same. I have moved from many homes and condos and never missed one place. Each time I move from a slip, I miss all the friends on that dock. This year, we will start our cruise and will meet new friends and have new adventures. But we have no qualms about leaving the consumerism. But we know we will miss our boating friends the most. This is why we live on a sailboat.

The Witchdoctor
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 14:05   #77

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

I had a wife just like that when I sold my 44' I was going to buy a Freeport 41 and ended up with a house weeping willow in front yard and a swimming pool in the back with my pet duck.This marrage did not last and it took me another 20 years to get my present boat.Be careful of what orthers ask for you might be the one paying for it.And by the way no pun was intended about your status..We all have had a house at one time or another.Have a great day and keep thinking about that boat you want.Life is to short.
wildbillca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 14:09   #78

Boat: Arends 33
Since moving aboard, living by the rule "one thing on ... one thing off" has made me more aware of my consumption, and made me think do I WANT this, or do I NEED this.

I've never in my 42 years on this planet been happier.
Old 25-01-2012, 14:37   #79
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I don't have much, I can't have much so everything I do have has to count....common things become special so I make sure to get nice stuff.
Old 26-01-2012, 03:43   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78

This reminds me of seeing someones signature here on the board with a quote along the lines of "a house is a boat so firmly run aground that no one would think to refloat it."

I would love to live aboard. Right now, I have a fiancee who is so against a boat, telling me not to get one or even LOOK at them, but is talking about wanting a huge $350K house that I keep saying is too much.

I still want a boat to make my own "great escape".
I just hired a super bright young college grad to go live and work for me in Japan. I asked him over dinner if he had any concerns about moving so far away. "my girlfriend (of 3 years) has no interest in Japan so I broke up with her. But that is OK there are lots of single girls in Japan."

That kid's stock value raised a couple more points at that moment. I wouldn't dare suggest to call off the engagement but I hope she comes around to the dream before you drop 350k and shelve your life.

@wavewacker - sounds like you have things well in contrrol. My situation included the neighborhood nazis with their association rules. There were annual spring and fall planting contests and if you didnt at least try you were "outcast." American suburbia and the creatures that occupy it are well beyond my understanding
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:45   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillca
I had a wife just like that when I sold my 44' I was going to buy a Freeport 41 and ended up with a house weeping willow in front yard and a swimming pool in the back with my pet duck.This marrage did not last and it took me another 20 years to get my present boat.Be careful of what orthers ask for you might be the one paying for it.And by the way no pun was intended about your status..We all have had a house at one time or another.Have a great day and keep thinking about that boat you want.Life is to short.
Sounds like you finally got priorities right. Why does it take us men 20 years to figure stuff like this out - took me 23 years to untie the knot. Part apathy? Part misguided duty?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:25   #82

LOL, wives, I have been cleaned out twice! 18 years the first time, 20 the second, I doubt I live long enough to do that again and this time it's a GF! So, yes, I started all over and still "retired" at 55, way too early too!

Wolf, that is a very good plan, things that count should be a one time purchase or at least hold value, that will cost you less in the long run!

And as mentioned above, my desires are to have a "get away", something I can take off on/in and live on as needed. I will have a better idea of what I will need and how livable it really needs to be the second Wensday of this November....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:45   #83
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i first moved on board so i wouldnt be evicted for some cambodian family members of landlord coming into usa--lol--happened 3 times to me when i lived in apartments. now i like it on board because i can change places of residence sans changing homes....i think is called cruising.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 06:00   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

Good enough reason....?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quote.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	36543  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 06:02   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

Damn.... i forgot...
Been told not to use the 'A' Word any more.....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 06:12   #86
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.... i forgot...
It's your own fault - keep out of the Multihull sub forum .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 06:54   #87

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Boatman I like your quote!
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 07:14   #88

Boat: Columbia 41

Aside from the usual reasons already given to live aboard (I agree with them all), there is this. I live in a marina that is not located on private property. I have an understanding with the manager to keep a low profile and pay $600 a month. The slip fee is typical in this market for a boat the length of mine. The up side, from my point of view, is this. My slip fee does not go for local property tax as part of apartment rent would go for realestate tax (do not feed the beast) and thus line the pockets of local crooked politicians. I ride my bicycle to work and do not own a car. Thus I do not pay parking tickets or speed camera tickets (do not feed the beast). Also, since the Metro (subway) service is so poor and soon to become more expensive, I choose not to patronize them (do not feed the beast). The money witheld from the government is trivial. But I personally feel much better doing these little things to resist. The more tax money they spend the more they squander.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 07:30   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.... i forgot...
Just wondering, is there a list of words that can not be typed out in this site? Is it the same list George Carlin had?
Old 28-01-2012, 07:38   #90

Sam, I like your ideas, don't feed the beast and I have to admit that is sorta why I would like to liveabord. Checking out, laying low, stay away and hide out from the beast and all it's restrictions. But to do that, I think the quality of life would really suffer the more successful you are at it. OTH, I will have a better idea if such a lifestyle will be more appealing on the first Wensday of next November!