Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2013, 06:25   #16

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Re: Window Condensation

Do you have photos of the 2nd Storm windows? What did you make them out of or where did you purchase them??
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 07:18   #17

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

@ THINWATER= We have a 44' boat, and only stay on it over the weekends (2-3 people MAX) while refitting her... I researched last evening for thermopile Dehumidifiers without much luck... I was taking a fancy to the Danby Dehumidifiers-- as they had good ratings on Consumer Reports... We will be cruising in 5-7 years down the road-- but for now-- I need something to keep moisture to a min down on the South Texas Gulf Coast. Would appreciate any advice or recommendations you might have for us? Is Danby 'thermopile'?
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 08:15   #18

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

the storm window is just a tape and window film that is typically used on single pane windows in homes. just apply the tape cover the window with the film tightly then blowdry to heat shrink it. works great is very good optically and its cheap.
Old 27-10-2013, 05:24   #19

Boat: Colvic Watson motor sailor

does anyone know where to purchase window film in the S WEST UK ???????
christhefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:08   #20

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
I would think one could get this window film at any hardware store
Old 28-10-2013, 04:17   #21

I made "storm windows" for my opening ports out of clear window glass. Just put them between the screen and the inside port. They do wonders to minimize or eliminate condensation. Have been reusing them for several years now. Just wash them at the end of the cold season, interleave them in paper towels, roll them up, and remember where you put them!
Free Spirit HC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 04:27   #22

We use the Mylar bubble wrap Mylar insolation in the windows. It make the boat dark, but cooler is the summer and warmer in the cool. Saturday night it was 30 and no moisture.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 04:53   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
@ THINWATER= We have a 44' boat, and only stay on it over the weekends (2-3 people MAX) while refitting her... I researched last evening for thermopile Dehumidifiers without much luck... I was taking a fancy to the Danby Dehumidifiers-- as they had good ratings on Consumer Reports... We will be cruising in 5-7 years down the road-- but for now-- I need something to keep moisture to a min down on the South Texas Gulf Coast. Would appreciate any advice or recommendations you might have for us? Is Danby 'thermopile'?
Thermoelectric cooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Danby makes a line of compressor-type dehumidifiers, which are rated for 10x what any thermoelectric unit will be.

I boils down to how leak-free the boat is. If only weekends, even a small dehumidifier could dry the boat in a few days, but that is a large boat in a humid area. The one I use would be too small, but this might work.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Perfect-H...2#.Um5SgFM3DEg

Also remember that you can either ventilate or dehumidify but not both at the same time.
Old 28-10-2013, 07:12   #24

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
the storm window is just a tape and window film that is typically used on single pane windows in homes. just apply the tape cover the window with the film tightly then blowdry to heat shrink it. works great is very good optically and its cheap.
Thats a GREAT idea!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 07:58   #25

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I installed 3/8” plex a glass over the salon windows. I just screwed them to the teak out side trim with a tight weather sealer tape. I did not do it so much for condensation but to retain heat which increase the temp 5 to 10 degrees and made the windows air tight. I also been keeping the plex a glass up during the summer as it also keeps the hot/warm air out the and the cool/cold AC air ion.

We watch the amount of moisture we but in the air, quick showers, no boiling of water and or standing water. The pilot house does get some condensation but I wipe down the windows most mornings, and also have DriEase pots. The canvas enclosure and does help also. We very seldom get condensation on the window and door to stern deck.

We have a 100,000 btu Webasto boiler heating system, 24/7, which keeps the boat between 60 and 70 degrees, even heats the engine room and keeps the bilge dry. the bow area under the master bed room is the only area that does not get heat and tend to collect moisture so I have two DriEase pots in the bilge which keeps it dry.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 08:03   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i had a nice lil islander with storm window kind of set up...the inner windows a+ˇwere stained glass. i never had condensation on these windows, and i had gorgeous light shows in sun shine.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation