Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 20:05   #16

Boat: Grampian Classic 31
Re: Wood stove on a sailboat?

We have a small anthracite/wood stove on our 31 ft Grampian. Here's a picture how it is installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1477158500142.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	140659  
Daily Ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 21:08   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Ketch View Post
We have a small anthracite/wood stove on our 31 ft Grampian. Here's a picture how it is installed.
A coal/wood stove and white upholstery require a brave man...

Jim
Old 03-02-2017, 21:16   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There was a fellow who sailed in the PNW who loved his wood stove. Fuel was not a problem there because there was so much driftwood everywhere he anchored. He said he'd sail around till he ran out if Wood then anchor, row ashore and restock.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 22:40   #19
cruiser

We don't even allow candles on our boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 23:24   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

very unhealthy personal air pollution

Propex, Webasto or Espar, combustion away from living space, very DC efficient, choose your fuel.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:45   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
very unhealthy personal air pollution

Propex, Webasto or Espar, combustion away from living space, very DC efficient, choose your fuel.
Hi I am a little confused, are you suggesting that a wood fired combustion heater is dangerous to ones health or are you saying that a diesel fueled heater is less harmful or not harmful.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:44   #22

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

TableTop Dragon | Stoves: Backpack Stove, Fixed Chimney, Gasifier, Rocket Stove, & TLUD Stoves

Have had a wood/coal stove on my boat for 30 years. pleasant to live with , Fuel of some sort usually available.
The above stove looks to be very well made .
oven hot all the time makes for good food
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48   #23

Google- rocket stoves and gasifier stoves
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:07   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi I am a little confused, are you suggesting that a wood fired combustion heater is dangerous to ones health or are you saying that a diesel fueled heater is less harmful or not harmful.
Speaking as someone who has lived with a wood stove as the main furnace (in a house on Lake Superior’s north shore no less), and who would consider getting one for my boat, I do have to say the dangers of wood smoke as a pollutant are well documented. Wood smoke is far from benign when it comes to local pollution.

Wood smoke usually contains carcinogens, heavy metals, contributes significantly to local smog, and is loaded with fine particulate which can do wonders to the lungs of us animals that breath it in. Diesel burners are not much better in these categories as well, but just b/c wood sounds more natural, doesn’t make it better (from a pollution standpoint anyway).

Of course wood is a winner when it comes of greenhouse gas production. Wood releases CO2, but can be neutral in its contribution if the local forests are being managed properly. But lets not go there...

Anyway, I just wanted to insert that bit of info since it came up (rather oddly and tangentially I would say).
Old 04-02-2017, 09:35   #25

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

When we arrive onboard, in higher latitudes, lighting the Cubic Mini is the first priority. It takes a few minutes to heat up but it is the focus of our happiness. It transforms a dank boat into a cozy mountain cabin. There will always be those who have little appreciation for this type of aesthetic but we feel our little woodstove is the very heart of our boat. In the PNW going ashore to collect wood is a ritual we love. A chainsaw is a handy item. Most often we burn Presto-logs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	140687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3190.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	140688  

seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:44   #26

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
When we arrive onboard, in higher latitudes, lighting the Cubic Mini is the first priority. It takes a few minutes to heat up but it is the focus of our happiness. It transforms a dank boat into a cozy mountain cabin. There will always be those who have little appreciation for this type of aesthetic but we feel our little woodstove is the very heart of our boat. In the PNW going ashore to collect wood is a ritual we love. A chainsaw is a handy item. Most often we burn Presto-logs.

What's your burn time with a presto log? Do you quarter it first?

Matt
Old 04-02-2017, 10:02   #27

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

@Funjohnson, hi Matt. We chop the Prestologs into three inch lengths. Our Cubic Mini Cub can hold about five such pieces at a time. We'll toss in a new piece about once every hour. Before turning in for the night we'll put in a five inch piece and she'll burn all night, typically about five hours.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18   #28

Wood Stove

We used a wood stove aboard for several decades. It was a small range with an oven. It was surrounded on three sides by stainless steel sheet metal backed by insulation. It served us well and it was wonderful to come in out of the cold to a warm wood fire and the smell of baking. When we moved into a marina in Alaska we had to remove it because of complaints by neighbors of soot. Use while sailing would cause an occasional blowback of smoke. You need to use some common sense with wood stoves. With wood comes bugs and you need to clean the stove out on occasion. You need a good deck fitting too. I made stainless oversize panels to accept the stovepipe in each direction. I am building another boat now and it will have a wood stove.
gbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:23   #29

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

35 years of mostly off grid cruising BC. Homemade wood stove. Mostly foraged fuel Back when presto logs were 10 cents maybe sometimes. but they tend to crumble and fir bark smells better. I could burn up to 7" long so a cut up pallet was good fuel in town The stove door is the hardest part to fabricate, Usually start with a scrounged cast iron gold plated glass front,. Air space behind the stove shielding is important. I usually slip a second larger ss pipe over the stack ,open both top & at the bottom .,Prevents melting the rain gear.The deck iron ,I make from SS pipes and plate washers Deep enough to clear 4x4deck beams and 3 " decking. Fully airtight means you can shut down and sail quick if necessary. You soon learn to adjust hatch and port openings depending on tack and weather you have the short or long pipe above deck. Coal is to be avoided. Lighting with a squirt of metal hydrate may be quick but not bright. Most west coast cruising off grid types go wood. Ambiance is 100 %
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:02   #30

Boat: Tanzer 28

I have a Cubic mini and love it. I was doing some interior work on the boat last week at about -10 in a heavy wind. After I got the chill off, it was oh so cozy....had it up to 80 in a couple of hours. Used a small bucket of wood. My wife is easily chilled and hated sailing for that reason.... not any more. The cabin is never cold or damp or smelly. Like all new wood stoves there is some learning curve. I may be biased because I have 9 serviceable wood stoves in my various buildings. The stove cost me about $400. The company in Quebec, were it is made, was very friendly and professional and helpful. I got advice from the owner of the company, who designed this stove for his own boat I think he said it was a C&C 30. I used double wall insulated propane furnace pipe through and above the cabin top, to eliminate creosote condensation. It is one of my great joys on the boat to warm my cold feet and make a pot of coffee with out using a petroleum product.
Farmr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat