Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 13:06   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Working Out While Underway

Because of recurring back problems (result of accident 40 years ago) I have a minor stretching and exercise program that I follow twice a day. In my case I take a 5' length of rope with a loop in one end, go up on the tramp, and knock it out. If I skip more than a few days I am at risk of muscle spasms.

As for aerobics and strength, sailing takes care of the second, and the first will wait until I anchor; even an ocean crossing is not so long or frequent as to affect base fitness.

Physical therapy routines should be maintained. General exercise continues anyway, doesn't it?
Old 07-01-2017, 13:46   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ohlson 38

Here are a few things we do for (EXTRA) workout, The boat itself usually serves as a pretty ruthless personal trainer!

Coiled sheets make great weights

Pushups on deck

Tricep Dips in the cockpit

Situps on a towel on deck

If you want a good shoulder workout get out the wax and polish

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2017, 14:13   #48

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I'd add pullups and dips with hanging rings off the Spinnaker pole. Just make sure it is clipped in securely or you can get pretty bruised coming down ...
Old 07-01-2017, 14:17   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I'd add pullups and dips with hanging rings off the Spinnaker pole. Just make sure it is clipped in securely or you can get pretty bruised coming down ...
Aha! Of course, the boom pullups! Unfortunately I find it hard to do them as we have a "Sleden Rodkicker rigid vang" which is great not having to adjust the topping lift, but when you pull up, the boom comes down!

all this being said, a pullup for me counts a a HUGE workout
Old 07-01-2017, 14:40   #50

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Try studying the Bible. That is a workout more needed in this sinful world than body exercise. Chauncey 'BUDDY' Freeman, Senior Chief, U.S.Navy,Retired (2 Timothy 2:15,16 KJV) 2 Timothy 2:15-16King James Version (KJV)

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
OP asked this "but wondering what everyone does for exercise while underway"

and you think this is a correct answer?
Reading a book does not provide 'exercise' in this context.

I guess this explains why I see a lot of overweight people leaving church.
Old 07-01-2017, 16:00   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
OP asked this "but wondering what everyone does for exercise while underway"

and you think this is a correct answer?
Reading a book does not provide 'exercise' in this context.

I guess this explains why I see a lot of overweight people leaving church.
Exactly, but this guy was a Senior Chief in the navy in charge of kids.

It will take him 20-30 more years to realize that everything he believes or thinks isn't necessarily correct.

It simply goes with the territory. The man did his job well but with some jobs the learning stops at a certain point and you get trapped into a certain way of thinking
Old 07-01-2017, 16:13   #52

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Yeah I didn't read the question as mentally alert but physically fit. Try yoga on a moving surface that'll get most of your muscles working
Old 11-01-2017, 16:18   #53

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Yeah I didn't read the question as mentally alert but physically fit. Try yoga on a moving surface that'll get most of your muscles working
Try yoga on any surface! This smooth talking guy will kick your ass!

I did a bit of this then a few bench presses and a 2 mile run on Monday (plus 1 extra mile walking to get the heart rate back down to 120) and I'm still recovering. (I'm over 60)

Old 11-01-2017, 16:45   #54

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Handle all the lines by hand, no winches, including the sheets, no cam locks or cleats on the sheets. You'll get a great workout, especially if it's a bit on the breezy side. An hour or two of that will give you a pretty good upper body workout and depending on your boat maybe a pretty good whole body workout.
Old 11-01-2017, 16:54   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailing is a workout. so is repair.
i only need to increase my activity level when i have successfully completed the devouring of an 11 inch banana cream pie sola.
then i can ride bike or row my dink or kayak.
Old 11-01-2017, 16:56   #56

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Has nobody suggested a Swedish mattress improver yet?

Running costs can be a bit high though....
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30   #57

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

Just running the boat really.
But for day to day in port as nice lightweight and easy to pack away exercise tool - https://www.ptpfit.com/massage/mediband
Old 12-01-2017, 10:48   #58

Sell your outboard - good for your health. Good for reef's health too. And buy a piece of 3" Manila rope...
Name:   IMG_1656.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 12-01-2017, 15:37   #59

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

I use dumbbells and ankle weights - easy to stow and use when cruising. Recently I purchased a peddle unit and cycle while doing my radio net in the mornings. Resistance bands can also be used with some yoga poses if one has plenty of room. Cheers Sue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040516.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	139523  
Old 12-01-2017, 18:00   #60

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

These discussions always seem to come down to two groups, and sorry if it offends. On one side are usually people who were living a very unhealthy life before (perhaps because they were working all the time to afford the boat purchase!), who find that they lose huge amounts of weight moving onto the boat (more active lifestyle, harder to get cheap fast food, sea sickness induced appetite suppression, more joys in life than a sugar high, etc.). On the other side are amateur athletes, who at best can probably hope to maintain their current level of fitness. I've only heard of one person, for instance, who kept a solid body building routine going on the boat (Tacoma sailor mentioned his set up on a previous thread, I believe).

So, I'd figure out which camp you're in. If you're looking for just a healthier lifestyle, then sure, handling lines may get you in better shape than you were before. If you're looking to maintain or improve your strength and conditioning, you will need to get acquainted with a whole host of body weight exercises and methods to increase the load you are lifting (e.g. using resistance bands across your back to make push-ups harder, fitting a ton of resistance bands into a deck fitting so that you can perform a goblet squat, one-limbed everything). Upper body is easier to work than lower body by far. Even so, under passage it will be hard to do any of this unless conditions are right. Increasing load rather than high reps is important as well, both to build/maintain muscle, and to prevent overuse injuries on your joints. Good luck!

Have fun!
Closed Thread