Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45   #1

Boat: Watkins 32
Worthington Tanks

I have a question concerning propane tanks and marine surveys for insurance.

My present propane tank is in the starboard cockpit lazarette. I am concerned about adequate ventilation and, as always, saving space. I would like to mount a new tank on my stern rail and a the best I have seen is a Worthington 6-lb vertical tank.

My question is: Will this "pass" a marine survey for insurance purposes?

Thanks in advance.

David
dlauginiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44   #2

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Re: Worthington Tanks

You don't have to have the propane tank mounted for a survey, mine wasn't. My propane locker is in the port side lazarette but it is currently being used as a tackle storage and we use the small camping propane canisters.

When I had my survey done this lazerette was just empty and the survey just stated that there was a locker available.

If you had a proper rail mounted holder....and wanted to ensure that it was notated on the survey...I don't see why it would hurt any.

Plus....talk to your surveyor, they will let you know and if it is a problem I am sure he/she will allow you to remove it before the survey is done.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:53   #3

Boat: Irwin 40

The rules are fairly simple
If you mount the tank outside in the open it must not be above any openings into the boat including vents and windows.

All systems Must have a regulator, a shut off valve that can be remotely operated at the appliance (stove)
A gauge must be installed before the regulator. (to test for pressure leaks)
The supply line must have no breaks, meaning a single line run the whole length, no splices or other connections.

lockers must vent overboard, be air tight and top opening.
All common sense really and USCG requirements so its the law

See my article (as published in Cruising World) on propane systems here: Project Boat Zen - Maintaining your Propane system

Any questions let me know
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:57   #4

Boat: Irwin 40

oh and any surveyor who would allow to remove the tank prior to the survey so the system will "Pass" is not helping you any in fact they could be putting you in harms way. these rules are to protect YOU not the insurance company!
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 00:05   #5

Boat: Alberg 30
Below all vents? How an I supposed to accomplish that, I'd have to mount it below water off the stern? I under stood that outside the aft rail(above water) was ok? Proper fittings sensors etc included of course.

I'm on an alberg 30 if that helps, currently Re doing my propane system adding solenoid sensors etc.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 00:42   #6

Boat: 1959 New Horizon 26
Nobody said the tank had to be below all vents... you can't mount a tank directly above a vent or window. Propane is heavier than air, you don't want your tank leaking and most if the gas going down a vent into your quarter berth
ravenblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 23:52   #7

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblood
Nobody said the tank had to be below all vents... you can't mount a tank directly above a vent or window. Propane is heavier than air, you don't want your tank leaking and most if the gas going down a vent into your quarter berth
Thanks,I misunderstood must not be above any openings then that makes life simpler again. Any min distance horizontally to openings lower than tank?
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Excerpted from A-1 MARINE LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS (LPG) SYSTEMS

A-1.7.6.1 LPG cylinders, cylinder valves, regulating equipment, and safety devices shall be readily accessible, secured for sea conditions, and protected from the weather and against mechanical damage, and shall be
A-1.7.6.1.1 installed in a ventilated location on the exterior of the boat where escaping gases will flow directly overboard, or,
A-1.7.6.1.2 if the escaping vapors will not flow directly overboard, the cylinder shall be installed in a dedicated locker meeting the requirements of A-1.8 LPG LOCKERS.

A-1.8.6 Locker vent openings shall be located at least 20 inches (508 mm) from any hull opening to the boat interior.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tanks