Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34   #1

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Y- Valve Ticket Cost?

Hi Guys,
Looks like I’m finally gonna get my day in court.
Question today, has any one actually gotten a ticket for improperly secured overboard waste discharge valve? What agency gave it to you and what was the cost of the ticket. Any extenuating circumstances?
I got a ticket by FWC, it was for $250.00 the valve was, I admit, poorly secured with a electric “Zip-Tie”.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47   #2

Boat: cal 40
Re: Y- valve ticket cost?

I thought having it zip-tied was ok? What does FWC expect have it secured with?
Loquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:55   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the aux who inspect in sd said the zip tie was good... mebbe the court will also--never can tell.......goood luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:58   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
Hi Guys,
Looks like I’m finally gonna get my day in court.
Question today, has any one actually gotten a ticket for improperly secured overboard waste discharge valve? What agency gave it to you and what was the cost of the ticket. Any extenuating circumstances?
I got a ticket by FWC, it was for $250.00 the valve was, I admit, poorly secured with a electric “Zip-Tie”.
Define "poorly secured".
Old 01-07-2011, 07:02   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

If it was not secured, but closed the law says the fine is only $50, it's only supposed to be $250 if it's open to the sea. You say poorly secured? Does that mean the zip tie was not tight enough to prevent it from being moved to the open position? An electrical zip tie should have been satisfactory if it was tight enough and was one that requires cutting off rather than a removable one. Florida law requires only what the USCG requires under 33CFR 157 which states "(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the closed position.". An electrical zip tie is a non-releasable wire tie if it's the kind you have to cut to take off, which most of them are. I worked for a company doing us military electronics in the early 70s and the official government term for zip ties in their specifications was "non-releasable wire ties". If it was tight enough and had to be cut I would argue it met the requirement.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07   #6

Boat: grampian 26

I would think that if the proper securing of the y-valve was such a big issue the department in charge would put a proper tamper proof seal on it like they do for gas and hydro meters. Of course they would have to charge an exorbitant fee to do this and the next state wouldn't recognize the previous states seal and insist that you have one of theirs' to be compliant. Never mind, we all ready have too much bureaucracy.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

The cost of the ticket is dependent on the jurisdiction that you are in. Every federal, state, county or municipality that you are in. Zero Discharge Zones are different also...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"poorly secured"
Is that like "a little bit pregnant" ?

Was or wasn't the valve operable? If it wasn't operable, it was secured. If it was operable, at all, it wasn't secured.

Assuming this was a real zip tie, the kind that only tightens and can't be loosened up again.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
The cost of the ticket is dependent on the jurisdiction that you are in. Every federal, state, county or municipality that you are in. Zero Discharge Zones are different also...
This is true, but since the OP stated he was given the ticket by the FWC I was assuming he was charged with violating Florida State law. From the Florida DEP web site;

What are the fines for non-compliance?

$50.00 infraction for compliance issues
$250.00 civil penalty for discharge of raw sewage
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 13:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Define "poorly secured".
A large plain one from harbour frieght.
It was around handle and valve as i have old(73) style valve.
officer watched as i took three min to acess valve then pulled up very hard and it slid enough to move.
Melbourne Fl Police have been to boat a half dozen or more times, FWC (Florida) has put dye in tolit three times allready.

On the other issue, The "numorus" complaints have been linked to the same bunch that have been stealing the bikes! three times i have had bike stolen from Eua Gallie Libary, dingy atempted theft/sunk(?) twice by this bunch! found bikes the last two times and recoverd from Willam Romer @ 1916 avacado! went by this A.M. and saw mine by that house, this time i called police, guess what cop showed up?
If you guesed the same cop that let the Kid caught red handed trying to steal/sink dinghy go,, you win a free lock!
Old 01-07-2011, 13:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
This is true, but since the OP stated he was given the ticket by the FWC I was assuming he was charged with violating Florida State law. From the Florida DEP web site;

What are the fines for non-compliance?

$50.00 infraction for compliance issues
$250.00 civil penalty for discharge of raw sewage
printing that one out!
like the,
Quote:
What are the guidelines for Y-valves?

Under federal law, if a boat has a Y valve allowing direct overboard discharge of untreated waste, it must be closed while operating in all inland and coastal waters. It is suggested you use a non-releasable wire tie, lock, or remove the valve handle to secure the device. When you are more than three miles offshore in the ocean, the Y valve may be open allowing direct discharge overboard.
A Y valve may also be found on boats having both a Type I or II MSD and a holding tank. This gives the boater an option to discharge treated waste overboard or to contain it for pumpout later.
As the first boarding by Locals made me remove handle from aft compartment and put on zip tie in first place!