Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 14:58   #31

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Re: Cash is King...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
If you were to buy an older boat now it would take 2 - 3 years to get it into proper cruising trim.
This is an offering I see regularly on this forum and (not wanting to pick on Boracay - you just triggered this rant) WHY???

First boat I left NZ for Aus less than 1 week after launching. 2nd boat left Dana Pt for Mexico less than 1 week after purchase, 3rd boat about the same - you get the idea. And when I do deliveries I target 24 hrs from arrival in port to departure, don't always make it, but that's the goal.

So what is it that takes you 2-3 years?

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 15:31   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: A Rant Against the Gilded Handcuffs

I take 4 years to get my boat ready to leave SF for Hawaii. Of course I had a bit of a commute from Kona to Alameda to work on it. Was only able to get away a week or so at a time and seemed like it took about half my work time getting organized one each trip back so I could start making progress on the work. Actual time involved completely rerigging the boat, adding a windlass, mounts for the dinghy and liferaft, installing self steering and autopilot, all new instruments, SSB radio, solar panels, and quite a few other things was probably not more than 2 months. Most of these things I'd have to have done on almost any boat I'd bought unless someone else had alreadyset it up for cruising.

I originally bought the boat because it had already had a lot of preparation for cruising. Found that I ended up redoing almost everything the PO had done becuase it didn't work or wasn't done properly. It wasn't cheap but have about half the money in the boat that I'd have had buying a new one, not counting the additions I would have made.

Last boat I built from a Bare Hull and launched in a year of full time work.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 15:46   #33

29?

Assuming the wife is similar in age, in 3 years time you will be planning for kids. You need to go NOW.

Then, in 3 years time, you can go on about getting into adulthood.
HapaPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 14:50   #34

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaPops View Post
29?

Assuming the wife is similar in age, in 3 years time you will be planning for kids. You need to go NOW.

Then, in 3 years time, you can go on about getting into adulthood.
It's crossed my mind.

However, the one thing that I can remember desiring growing up to moving. My family never did move, but I ALWAYS wanted to leave the small town I grew up in. Until the children get into a school age there really is no reason NOT to go. After school age, that depends on if you want to home school or not. I'm not that big a fan of public schools, but I'm not sure I'm up to home schooling. I'm at least 6 years from school age children. And that's if we have some luck on that front right now.

The one thing that the charger boats taught me is that I HAVE to have a decent showering arrangements. A quick rinse off after a swim simply won't do for daily grooming requirements for an extended period. For a week or two, I can live with it no problem. But for years, I've GOT to be able to take a decent shower. Not necessarily a "hollywood" shower, but the boat HAS to have a separate shower stall, and the ability to take a water saving shower at least once or twice a week or so.

But the good news is that NOW I know where my walk line is. I have a better idea of what I want, and it just costs more money. Big deal, sell a little more time, and I can buy a a good bit more money.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote