Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2022, 04:46   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: A Realization

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
I think for whatever reason the region you are in is the wrong region for the labor needed.

Your temperature range also sounds like a New England summer temperatures.

I think packing up the boat and moving to where people want the work is the right thing. I also think you would benefit from a change of scene. I'm jealous you are so close to being done and I'm just getting started.
What are you building? Maybe a little positive side discussion here would be nice.

And you’re right. A little Yankee ingenuity might go along way. Ha ha ha
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 04:47   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Realization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
But I’m kind of slipping here in circular thought.

It sounds great to move the boat and all, but I really want to find out if I like living by myself on a boat. And traveling on a boat. I don’t remember anymore.

If I move the boat up north that’s a delivery. That’s not using the boat. That’s also motoring. That’s not sailing. So it’s tough.

I think I need to figure out if I like living on a boat by myself or not. And I need to do that this winter.

Then, if it’s a go, I can bring it up north and continue working on it during the summer. And over the next year. Then it should be wrapped up pretty well enough.

I have already devised lots of ways to complete the interior without using nasty chemicals. So, I can do it all. Assuming I like it.
Sounds like your creating reasons to me..
Its a delivery, not using the boat.. BS.. of course you are, just not the way you'd hoped to by now.
So your motoring but your living on the boat and though not perfect (what is) you are achieving something and not moaning about what you cannot do where you are.
You have two choices, move her to where you can as you say 'work on it' or sell up.
Either move will get you forward from where you are and change the future for you..
With or without regret only time will tell..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 05:00   #48

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
But I’m kind of slipping here in circular thought.

It sounds great to move the boat and all, but I really want to find out if I like living by myself on a boat. And traveling on a boat. I don’t remember anymore.

If I move the boat up north that’s a delivery. That’s not using the boat. That’s also motoring. That’s not sailing. So it’s tough.

I think I need to figure out if I like living on a boat by myself or not. And I need to do that this winter.

Then, if it’s a go, I can bring it up north and continue working on it during the summer. And over the next year. Then it should be wrapped up pretty well enough.

I have already devised lots of ways to complete the interior without using nasty chemicals. So, I can do it all. Assuming I like it.

Moving the boat up north doesn't have to be a delivery. Enjoy the trip, see stuff on the way, use the boat. Some of the stuff like a water system can probably be built out during the trip. Talk to people as you go, and if you find a place you can get some of the work done, stop there, get it done, and head further north later.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 05:08   #49

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
What are you building? Maybe a little positive side discussion here would be nice.

And you’re right. A little Yankee ingenuity might go along way. Ha ha ha
What I imagine as a suitable catamaran for myself would be so controversial that I won't discuss it in polite company.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 08:13   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Chotu,

The worst of the summer is mostly gone now here in north Florida. By the time September rolls around, it will be quite pleasant here. You'll have Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb-March-April with mostly very pleasant cool weather.

I recommend GCS for you, as J'ville has most anything and everything you might need.
There are several machine shops here that can take on anything you might want. Git yer arse up here, and I'll dig up some recommendations for you.

From what I've heard about you and your boat, GCS marina will tick all your boxes. I'll even come and visit and supervise
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 08:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Chotu,

The worst of the summer is mostly gone now here in north Florida. By the time September rolls around, it will be quite pleasant here. You'll have Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb-March-April with mostly very pleasant cool weather.

I recommend GCS for you, as J'ville has most anything and everything you might need.
There are several machine shops here that can take on anything you might want. Git yer arse up here, and I'll dig up some recommendations for you.

From what I've heard about you and your boat, GCS marina will tick all your boxes. I'll even come and visit and supervise

Please check your private messages.
Old 22-08-2022, 08:19   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Gotcha
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 08:47   #53

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
. My helper who is living on the boat, has been getting in a few hours each week on those. But no real progress all summer. I’m not sure if he is having some issues, or if it’s just the heat. Either way, nothing is happening.

So someone is living on your boat and doing near nothing. Probably living there for free?

Not sold on the heat issue. Awwaaaaay up north here it's not uncommon in summer to be hotter than Miami. Yet I've been working on projects; uncomfortable, hot, boat yoga projects.

Moving north is not going to solve any welding or machining problems. I know of nowhere in USA right now that has enough of either. This came up in a different thread some six months ago, and that OP went on and on about his inability to find a welder....after a while the underlying problem became apparent, and it wasn't the quantity of welders.

Why not do it yourself? A used TIG/MIG can be had for well under $1000, and a used Bridgeport (or a newer Grizzly etc.) under $2000.
Old 22-08-2022, 08:55   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
So someone is living on your boat and doing near nothing. Probably living there for free?

Not sold on the heat issue. Awwaaaaay up north here it's not uncommon in summer to be hotter than Miami. Yet I've been working on projects; uncomfortable, hot, boat yoga projects.

Moving north is not going to solve any welding or machining problems. I know of nowhere in USA right now that has enough of either. This came up in a different thread some six months ago, and that OP went on and on about his inability to find a welder....after a while the underlying problem became apparent, and it wasn't the quantity of welders.

Why not do it yourself? A used TIG/MIG can be had for well under $1000, and a used Bridgeport (or a newer Grizzly etc.) under $2000.

Yes. My helper lives for free on the boat. The rate I could afford to pay isn’t the highest in the world, so, that’s kind of a benefit that goes along with the job.

But I don’t think I can weld 316 stainless. I heard it’s really hard. I’ve never welded anything in my life. At this point I could’ve completed several welding courses though and could have been a deep sea underwater welder or something at this point. Still have to cut that 316 stainless also. I just don’t have all the equipment for this. And typically it’s something you just say hey, I have this. And they have it done in like less than a week. I’m not used to this situation.

That wasn’t me in the other thread that you were talking about? I’ve certainly asked about welders before. And I definitely was looking six months ago. And I’m still looking. Still trying. Working with one. Maybe it will get moving. But they made some huge errors and I have to change everything about the way they were approaching the mast extension part of it.

They were just going to weld up a tube that’s the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of my mask and put some screws through. That wouldn’t hold the load. Those screws would shear. So it’s back to the drawing board on that for them. I showed them some YouTube’s today to hopefully guide them in the right direction about doing a spice.
Old 22-08-2022, 14:06   #55

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

There is one location where you will find everything you need in Boatbuilding.
New Bedford. Massachusetts.
Commercial stuff everywhere because it’s a real fishing town. Good yacht yard in Fairhaven. Lot of yacht builders in southern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. You can find thousands of experienced yacht craftsmen within 100 miles. S.E. Mass and RI was home to a dozen OEM builders. This port has it all and completely protected by a sea wall. It’s not that cold in winter. Everything you could ever need is there.
This is hands down our #1 choice. There is not a single area in the USA with so much sail boat building expertise within such close proximity.
Stop fooling around. Motor up there and get it finished.
We are not going to reply, comment or waste time kicking a hypothetical can down the road. You asked and we gave you our opinion as professional boatbuilders. Nuff said.
Mark and the manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 14:53   #56

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Chotu, "This too shall pass".
I know exactly how you feel.
When I was involved in my project there came a day when I said, "Enough is enough".
I put 3 layers of tarps over everything and walked away for 6 months to play in a Rock-an-Roll band.
But a line from Sterling Hayden came to mind, (not directly related to building,) but nevertheless seemingly appropriate, (to paraphrase,) "Which is better, poverty of purse, or poverty of mind".
So, after 6 months, and renewed vigor, I commenced once again.
The quest for perfection is wrought with futility, it's a false goal that's always just beyond reach, straining to reach it robs the soul of enjoyment and diminishes the value and contentment that one can have of a "job well done".
Take a break, breathe some fresh air, gaze upon a different vista for a while.
It will renew your spirits.
Old 22-08-2022, 14:56   #57

Quote:

* It also has the entire rig, all sails, halyards, winches, everything. It does not have the composite chainplates installed or the metal work that needs to be done to get that rig on the boat. These are the two things I cannot do. That’s what’s so frustrating.

I've followed your exploits over the years and feel for you, know it hasn't been easy.

In reading this thread and most of the replies until this post of yours, the thing I kept going back to by putting myself in your shoes, was that your entire sticking point was/is these metal workers who have not performed for you to make the necessary attachment points for your mast.

Is it really that simple?

Seriously, I'm asking.

Because if that's what it is, truly, then the question is completely different than the one you asked and the myriad of answers regarding overall fulfillment of a build-my-own-boat dream. You had a reason to do so that remains pretty valid to me.

The question then becomes: Where & how can I find quality metal workers to make these XYZ number of parts?

Many of us know your location, ut others may not. If you ask the question that way ^^^, you might uncover somebody's brother-in-law who knows what he's doing and can help.

Good luck, I'd stay with it to pass this one truly horrendous bottleneck. Perhaps thinking of it this way could help you decide long term. Many of us have been there/done that with bottlenecks. They can be frustrating, but like Barbara Coloroso taught me, "There is no problem so great it can't be solved."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 15:00   #58

Quote:
Ok. Here is the part.

In the picture you see the crossbeam and the little stainless fitting that connects it to the hull.

That’s what I need (as well as a trim of the crossbeam so it fits. It’s 3” too long.

An off-the-wall idea:

Call Garhauer.

They make all kinds of stuff. And they are great people. In California, but it's not like your piece(s) are huge...

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 15:15   #59

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ya know, Chotu, if your chemical reactions are so extreme, and given how hard it is to get reliable people to work unsupervised, I think maybe you'd best sell. Sorry. It just makes the whole process too hard, and too vulnerable to greedy people.

Ann
Old 22-08-2022, 16:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Ya know, Chotu, if your chemical reactions are so extreme, and given how hard it is to get reliable people to work unsupervised, I think maybe you'd best sell. Sorry. It just makes the whole process too hard, and too vulnerable to greedy people.

Ann
In a way, this is the decision. If you can't find a crew you can trust and afford to do the work, you're done.

I can tell you from my experience that you get about 6-months out of a team of workers, then you need to rotate in fresh blood. You're looking for a yard/team large enough to rotate new craftsmen in periodically.

I also should have broken the work into smaller parcels instead of one major refit.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote