Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 07:34   #421

Boat: J/88
Re: Addressing Misinformation and Harmful Content Online

Isn't the damaging issue here and in the world the judgement and discounting of each other and our perspectives based on preconceptions. If we respect each other it is easier to allow the points people make and add it as appropriate to our thinking?
My marriage broke down not because she was liberal and I was conservative, and not because one of us was right and one wrong, but rather because we started to lump all the points we made into biased perspectives. It was hard to hear her valid points due to my pre-judgement.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:55   #422

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
We'll when the study blatantly ignores realities like mass building on flood plains and no maintenance of waterways what can one expect.. that's like saying the rising death rate in Bangladesh because of monsoon flooding is due to climate change and nothing to do with the population explosion over the last 75 years.. 38million in 1950 to 166million today..
In a country that is 80% floodplain can one expect anything less.

As for 1500 people dying as a direct result of climate change in the UK since 2000..
They're having a laugh.. I remember heatwaves in the 80' and 70's and severe winters as well.
If all you did was critique the study, I'd have no issue. But instead you made a "judgmental" statement, which I merely reflected back. And I am pleased it made the point.

Rapid climate change IS leading to more deaths and damage, but we live in a complex world of interacting factors. Sussing out the exact impact of climate over these others is very difficult. But scientists do this all the time, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the attempt, or be so judgemental.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:22   #423
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Addressing Misinformation and Harmful Content Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If all you did was critique the study, I'd have no issue. But instead you made a "judgmental" statement, which I merely reflected back. And I am pleased it made the point.

Rapid climate change IS leading to more deaths and damage, but we live in a complex world of interacting factors. Sussing out the exact impact of climate over these others is very difficult. But scientists do this all the time, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the attempt, or be so judgemental.
Having lived through 4.5 years of Project Fear being spouted by the media and it all came to naught time after time skepticism is healthy..
Blind faith less so..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 02-03-2021, 08:25   #424

Quote:
Having lived through 4.5 years of Project Fear being spouted by the media and it all came to naught time after time skepticism is healthy..
Blind faith less so..

Exactly. Hence, my ignorance comment .
Old 02-03-2021, 08:30   #425
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Exactly. Hence, my ignorance comment .
Yeah.. I noticed you did not outright call me a liar..
Not living up to the Woke standard mate..

Old 02-03-2021, 09:50   #426
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Latest scientific study announced by the Guardian, the UK's Woke mouthpiece..
Eating meat increases your risk of heart failure, diabetes and influenza/pneumonia along with a picture of a supermarket chiller with racks of steaks and joints.
No mention of the real killers from KFC, McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell et al whose foods are loaded with salt, sugar and preservatives.. not to mention their Slushies..
Woke misinformation to suit an agenda where peoples health is Not the objective.
Have noticed a big push for changing to an insect based diet however..

Old 02-03-2021, 10:00   #427

Now you're just trolling .
Old 02-03-2021, 10:22   #428
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Latest scientific study announced by the Guardian, the UK's Woke mouthpiece..
Eating meat increases your risk of heart failure, diabetes and influenza/pneumonia along with a picture of a supermarket chiller with racks of steaks and joints.
No mention of the real killers from KFC, McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell et al whose foods are loaded with salt, sugar and preservatives.. not to mention their Slushies..
Woke misinformation to suit an agenda where peoples health is Not the objective.
Have noticed a big push for changing to an insect based diet however..
I think your criticism is somewhat unfair.

The Guardian article, to which you referred* [without properly referencing], addressed “processed meats”, but didn’t specifically address fast foods, because it wasn’t relevant to the study**, upon which they were reporting.

*"Eating meat 'raises risk of heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia"
UK researchers find link between regular meat intake and nine non-cancerous illnesses ...
... The academics from Oxford University who have published the study found that consumption of red meat, processed meat and poultry meat such as chicken and turkey, either alone or together, at least three times a week was linked to a greater risk of nine different illnesses..."

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...-and-pneumonia

** The study:
“Meat consumption and risk of 25 common conditions: outcome-wide analyses in 475,000 men and women in the UK Biobank study” ~ by Keren Papier et al
“... Conclusions
Higher unprocessed red meat, processed meat, and poultry meat consumption was associated with higher risks of several common conditions; higher BMI accounted for a substantial proportion of these increased risks suggesting that residual confounding or mediation by adiposity might account for some of these remaining associations. Higher unprocessed red meat and poultry meat consumption was associated with lower IDA risk ...”

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.co...16-021-01922-9

Old 02-03-2021, 10:37   #429
cruiser

Boat: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Twitter to permanently ban users who spread COVID misinformation

The social media firm says users who continue to post misleading tweets about coronavirus vaccines face a permanent ban from its platform.

More, from Twitter:

COVID-19 misleading information policyhttps://help.twitter.com/en/rules-an...rmation-policy

Updates to our work on COVID-19 vaccine misinformationhttps://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topic...formation.html
If it was false you wouldnt have to ban it. However if it undermines thier agenda censorship cometh!
Old 02-03-2021, 10:39   #430
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think your criticism is somewhat unfair.

The Guardian article, to which you referred* [without properly referencing], addressed “processed meats”, but didn’t specifically address fast foods, because it wasn’t relevant to the study**, upon which they were reporting.

*"Eating meat 'raises risk of heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia"
UK researchers find link between regular meat intake and nine non-cancerous illnesses ...
... The academics from Oxford University who have published the study found that consumption of red meat, processed meat and poultry meat such as chicken and turkey, either alone or together, at least three times a week was linked to a greater risk of nine different illnesses..."

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...-and-pneumonia

** The study:
“Meat consumption and risk of 25 common conditions: outcome-wide analyses in 475,000 men and women in the UK Biobank study” ~ by Keren Papier et al
“... Conclusions
Higher unprocessed red meat, processed meat, and poultry meat consumption was associated with higher risks of several common conditions; higher BMI accounted for a substantial proportion of these increased risks suggesting that residual confounding or mediation by adiposity might account for some of these remaining associations. Higher unprocessed red meat and poultry meat consumption was associated with lower IDA risk ...”

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.co...16-021-01922-9
I was pointing out the fact the accompanying photo above the bold type was of prime meat and not processed foods..
To be honest I don't need a scientific study to know overindulgence in anything is harmful to one's system..
Some might.. however with a little thought it's just common sense.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:42   #431
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Now you're just trolling .
Funny..
Femi would love you..

Old 02-03-2021, 12:06   #432

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

Yep, we have nice dry weather and then suddenly the climate changes and it gets cloudy and rains and the river rises and people get drowned. The media declare it "Unprecedented" as though it has never happened before in human history?

The internet is not the only place containing "Misinformation and Harmful Content".
Old 02-03-2021, 13:02   #433

Quote:
Funny..
Femi would love you..
Who doesn't like being loved, but I don't know what "Femi" is . I gotta know! Who loves me so???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Yep, we have nice dry weather and then suddenly the climate changes and it gets cloudy and rains and the river rises and people get drowned. The media declare it "Unprecedented" as though it has never happened before in human history?

The internet is not the only place containing "Misinformation and Harmful Content".
From this I conclude you don't understand the difference between weather and climate.

Maybe you are impressed when "the media" declares a weather event "unprecedented." I prefer to listen to actual climate scientists with regard to these kinds of statements and conclusions.
Old 02-03-2021, 13:12   #434
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Who doesn't like being loved, but I don't know what "Femi" is . I gotta know! Who loves me so??? ...
I suspect he's referring to Femi Oluwole, a campaigner against Brexit.

Old 02-03-2021, 13:19   #435

Quote:
I suspect he's referring to Femi Oluwole, a campaigner against Brexit.
Ah, OK... thanks Gord. I've never heard of him/her. I don't follow UK politics very closely, but it's still nice to be loved .
Closed Thread