Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 15:38   #1
cruiser

An Intersting Idea - Rowing Across the Pacific (already did the Atlantic!)

The Voyage: Roz Savage: Rower, Writer, Speaker

Check her out.

I linked to the boat page since I found it very interesting. I was more than curious to see what someone would take when rowing an ocean.

I have to admit - this makes anyone doing a solo on a sailboat seem kinda tame compared to just rowing your way across.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 04:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From the Ocean Rowing Society: The Ocean Rowing Society

Erden Eruç plans to row the Pacific Ocean E-W solo, an estimated 6.700 nautical miles from Spud Point Marina, Bodega Bay, CA. (approx. 40 miles North of San Francisco Bay) to Australia.
Around-n-Over - dispatches - human powered journey for education and inspiration

Following her successful crossing of the Atlantic in 2006, Roz Savage is bidding to be the first woman to row across the Pacific Ocean solo in 3 stages in her boat Brocade
The Voyage: Roz Savage: Rower, Writer, Speaker

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 15:29   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I swam from Europe to Asia in 1967. Wonder if I should write a book about that??? But actually I was with a group of about 20 kids doing the same thing!!! Where was I???
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 02:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check
I swam from Europe to Asia in 1967. Wonder if I should write a book about that??? But actually I was with a group of about 20 kids doing the same thing!!! Where was I???
"Umm"In the water mostly.

Roz's very clicked on to what's hapening out there.I read every bit of it.I think it will be interesting to see how the particular brands of her equipment stack up on this voyage.Like ya would want the best for the job,no mucking around type stuff,and Roz probably learned a lot on her first trip.

Yet another exceptional female,pushing the bounds.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 03:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Did you swim from Thrace to Anatolia, without leaving Istanbul ?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 07:27   #6

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Basically your correct GordMay... Impressive!! It was from the Roberts American College in Istanbul to well what was the US Air force Transmitter site across the Bosporus (sp). Was working communications and had been asked to accompany a group of American Boy Scouts across. We had boats to keep us from getting run over in the water and it wasn't what I would call clean then... would never think of doing it now from what I understand. LOL probably could Not do it now.. to damn old and out of shape! But it was a good conversation piece for a bit.
Old 18-08-2007, 07:27   #7

Basically your correct GordMay... Impressive!! It was from the Roberts American College in Istanbul to well what was the US Air force Transmitter site across the Bosporus (sp). Was working communications and had been asked to accompany a group of American Boy Scouts across. We had boats to keep us from getting run over in the water and it wasn't what I would call clean then... would never think of doing it now from what I understand. LOL probably could Not do it now.. to damn old and out of shape! But it was a good conversation piece for a bit.
Old 18-08-2007, 09:00   #8
cruiser

When reading about her boat, I find it hard to believe (or imagine) that she can row all that "stuff" with any forward progress. The boat is HUGE (and light), but all the equipment... wow.

Pretty tough stuff.
Old 18-08-2007, 11:44   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Isn't it interesting what people like to do with their time. Each of us certainly have different obsessions don't we? I kind of like the story about the replica Viking ship which will be oar and sail powered. Anyone heard how its doing?

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 12:31   #10

Boat: Rosa B
Is there a website to keep track of her progress?
Jimboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 20:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboats
Is there a website to keep track of her progress?
At the top off this page there is a link.Mudnut.
Old 18-08-2007, 21:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
When reading about her boat, I find it hard to believe (or imagine) that she can row all that "stuff" with any forward progress. The boat is HUGE (and light), but all the equipment... wow.

Pretty tough stuff.
ssullivan,

"Thats what I meant by saying she was clicked onto what was hapening out there."Tides and constant current areas is a big section of her overall stratagy.As far as the boat is concerned,just imagine something like that with an assisted sail system,ya sure could get a few sea miles that way.But then again,that would not be "Rowing"accross the Pacific would it.Kick arse,is all I can offer her.Mudnut.
Old 19-08-2007, 04:39   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
ssullivan,

"Thats what I meant by saying she was clicked onto what was hapening out there."Tides and constant current areas is a big section of her overall stratagy.As far as the boat is concerned,just imagine something like that with an assisted sail system,ya sure could get a few sea miles that way.But then again,that would not be "Rowing"accross the Pacific would it.Kick arse,is all I can offer her.Mudnut.

Ahhh... sorry! I didn't pick that one up when I was over in Melbourne. Usually I do alright with sayings like "clicked into", but I didn't know that one.