Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 04:43   #1

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Appearance

It is funny how we are affected by the style and/or appearance of our craft.

In another thread, Coyotewrw is looking for an “old fashion” style boat as opposed to a sleek, streamline sloop.

I have personal foibles in the appearance of a particular boat. Some trigger an internal vibration that makes it exhilarating just to look at them. Others I find just plain offensive. Many are somewhere between.

Some modern power yachts, even mega yachts are gone to a style of swooping lines, teardrop windows, etc. that remind me of trendy tennis shoes.

I can’t get past the buttress windows on newer Lagoon catamarans. It looks OK on the power cat, but it just doesn’t say sail boat to me. The older Lagoons were so smooth.

One mans meat is another mans poison I know.

What turns you on or off, or are you one of those concerned only with function?

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:17   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Although I do own a kinda staid looking boat and love traditional boats, I do kinda like the look of the Lagoons and also most Trimarans make me go mmmmmmm ..........but doubt if I could ever afford a Lagoon or live with a Trimaran.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:26   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Among sailors, the attraction to the form of a boat is probably a close second to the attraction to those of the opposite sex. Perhaps it's genetically ingrained .

Every time I'm headed ashore I find myself looking back at Raven. I feel the tug on the heartstrings. My young sons refer to her as "the prettiest girl at the dance." Of course, that feeling is accentuated by the fact that she sails well and keeps us safe and secure in a storm.

To each, their own, but, for me, that tug at the heartstrings is central to the reasons why I've chosen a life afloat.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:10   #4

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Boats are too expensive to have one you don't enjoy looking at. (Racers excepted) It doesn't really matter "what" about it that grabs you, just that something does. And that will certainly be different things to different people.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:23   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
Boats are too expensive to have one you don't enjoy looking at. (Racers excepted) It doesn't really matter "what" about it that grabs you, just that something does. And that will certainly be different things to different people.
Amen to that one
JOHN
Old 02-03-2007, 07:56   #6

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I don't like all the "plumb bows" on monos and multis these days. They all look the same. The flat shear is kinda boring too.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:07   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnflakbait
I don't like all the "plumb bows" on monos and multis these days. They all look the same. The flat shear is kinda boring too.
OUCH! Now this close to personal.

I loved plumb bows on first world war warships - and loved it when they returned to fashion on faster yachts. It's why we have one.

But I'd agree if every yacht had one - maybe I'd find them boring - as they truly would look all the same.

IMHO we should all have issues with those old fashioned wooden clunkers who usually leave a long bowsprit overhanging the walkways.

Might look pretty as they sail along, but they can cause a serious headache when one's stumbling back in the dark late Friday night.

What's great is that most places we'll see a huge variety of styles - and for sure - thats better than seeing them all alike.

Have a good weekend

JOHN
Old 02-03-2007, 08:14   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
Whats great is that most places let you view a huge variety of styles - and for sure - thats better than seeing them all alike.

Haveagoodweekend

JOHN
On a similar note, imagine if every woman (or man) seen walking down the streets of a busy city looked alike. We all fall in love (or lust) for different reasons. Boats are no different. What matters is that we are in love - no matter what kind of bow she's got.:kissy:
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:24   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Notwithstanding the best efforts of benehuntalina”, the sailboat market is very fragmented.

Nautic Expo, for one, lists 372 Cruising Sailboats:
Sailboats, Catamarans, Trimarans - NauticExpo

More sailboat manufacturer lists:
Sail Boats
Don Robertson's Marine Marketplace - Sailboat Manufacturers
Production and Custom Monohull Sailboat Manufacturers : the Boat Design and Boatbuilding Directory

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:11   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
What matters is that we are in love - no matter what kind of bow she's got.:kissy:
I am more of a "Stern" man myself
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Among sailors, the attraction to the form of a boat is probably a close second to the attraction to those of the opposite sex.
So what are saying?? my wife has nice lines but is heavey and slow??? ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:10   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

George, I must confess that I will yield right of way to a beautifully varnished classic all-wood hull every time, even while racing, so I can sit back and enjoy the view.

That doesn't mean I'd want to own, ergh, be enslaved, to one though.<G>

I suppose if I was rich enough to buy everything PLUS beauty, I'd worry about it. Until then, I'd rather be on the boat that just does thing right.

I'd be embarrassed about Plain Butt Ugly, or Hideously Unkempt, but how does that song go? "If you want a happy life, make an ugly woman to marry you" ?

Pretty boats are nice on post cards. Warm, dry, secure, fast, seakindly, blanaced, many other things more important for sailing on 'em though.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17   #13

Boat: Catalina 400
Wait a second, are you saying there is a manufacturer other than Catalina?? Crap. Knew I should have gone to the boat shows! (smile).

- CD
Old 02-03-2007, 15:19   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Hello,
Well put!!
Thanks,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 21:11   #15

Oh come now!

I'll agree that bowsprits (or anchors, or pulpits, or over-size dock boxes, or dinghies, or...) over the dock are a harmful menace, but to hate bowsprits themselves?

I love a plumb bowed hooker, with a reasonable bowsprit and boom well over the transom. And I'm equally in love with a graceful knockabout with long overhangs and tiny transom whose purpose, really, is to be a beautiful place to paint the name. A robust workmanlike sloop in fibreglass is a warm spot in my heart, no more or less than than the frighteningly tall racing-racing-dinghies-on-steroids.

I even like a lot of the stinkpots, though I admit to a prejudice against metalic flake and actively oppose the PWCs which are specifically designed to be loud and offensive. But a Trawler, or (a favourite description plagiarised from a friend) a Darth Vader boat, or some of the less ugly winneboatos are all fine in my book.

What is least aesthetic for me is huge expanses of topsides, especially in sailboats. And there are certain modern designs which really over do this, but everyone has a different level of tolerance. I can forgive chromed wind-swept roll bars more than I can 5' of topsides on a sailboat.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote