Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:14   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Are you a diver?

Both me and my partner are keen free divers.

I was trained in scuba in a military deployment.

In training, I was NEVER requested to do things out of my comfort zone. It was ALWAYS a step by step training preceded by theoretical explanations and all in the water training was under an immediate supervision of an extremely competent instructor.

ZERO RISK.

If civil training is anything like what the military gave me, then your fears are 100% just that. The training is actually the best way to learn what you are all about, to build great water skills (e.g. self rescue, swimming in waves, managing hypothermia, estimating surface currents, etc.) AND control irrational fears. This goes much further than learning to dive. This is learning to be a better you.

And the beauty of all things below the surface is just immense.

Imho go get it. You may actually love every minute of it.

Next stop wingsuit flying ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:35   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
The way your wife does things sounds good to me! LOL

I wouldn't mind diving the flower gardens off the Texas coast from what I've seen of it, but other than that I would probably only enjoy the clear tropical waters.

The only thing that I really want to be able to dive here for is to clean the bottom of my boat!
The Flower Gardens are awesome, but...how do you feel about a 40' Whale Shark cruising up next to you? 😲

Part of what makes the Flower Gardens unique is that they are surrounded by deeper water and as a result big pelagics like whale sharks cruise thru there. Way cool, but something you should be mentally prepared for...maybe try diving next to a big grey bus first. 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44   #18

Boat: Passport 40

These are common "fears". Lots of people feel uncomfortable with "not seeing", witht the fishes rubbing them, with the big blue on the surface, your body underwater. The point is, I shared some of the same stuff you write about.

I am today a techinical dive instructor, full cave diver, with around 2500 dives, many students in my lifetime, dived all over the world including zero vis sinkholes, and I still feel uncomfortable with a few things

Learn how to dive, it will actually HELP you with some of those fears.

Cheers!

Quote:
So did any of you have the same fears when you started? And if so, how did you overcome them?
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 21:33   #19

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

It's one thing to fear the water and quite another to fear murky water. In Florida almost all shark attacks and barracuda attacks happen in low visibility. They see a wrist watch or the bottom of a person's foot and think it's a small fish. So my advice is to snorkel in Clearwater stay shallow until you're comfortable then go to deeper water. before you know it your fear will be gone.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 22:53   #20

Quote:
That was the point of my question. HOW do you overcome those fears?

Slowly slowly, pool, deep pool, clear water, get murkier, a little Fear = respect for your surroundings , paractice possible panic scenario,s especially, Controlled emergency accents, and entanglement regualrly, with buddy. Your fears will gradually become at least controllable.
jonnypaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 00:40   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2
Are you a diver?

Fear under water can be Sirius problem but also can keep you safe if you can understand and respect your fear !!start by put them in categories and step by step work them out
I have certified lot of people with any kind of fears and lots of them now enjoy the fantastic underwater world..
There are other who never managed to control their fears and walk away.
There are others who have discover their fears (which they didn't now before) after the first lesson ..
I think it is good that you speak about it ..
I agree with others , stay away from tourist training courses(specially those in big hotel resorts ),most of them don't train people the way they should ..they don't have any stressful exercise/practice in the training course !!
Find some respectful instactor in you area ,speak with him about it and go on ,try it out step by step!!

I am a certified technical diver from 1992 with many working years on my back at north European shipyards and contractions sites .
The last 6 years I had been working as a Independent seasonal instructor at South Aegean Sea before I finaly found a diving center at home town where I don't have to argue with my boss on putting more safety exercises in our courses!!

Also as a rescue diver cooperating with the Greek cost guard, the Majority of the situations caused from the fearless divers who had always tell stories to their friends and girlfriends about their countless deep dives .
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:04   #22

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

You can always dive in a swimming pool. Agree, with that much fear you need to stay away from any real water.

Oh, diving alone, probably not a good idea anyway.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:40   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

Why ? Isn't it better just to try to fight his fear ?many expiriance diver **** their diving suits the first time they saw a big sark (included me)
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:57   #24

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

Do a lot of pool time. Get good equipment, and lean to use it. That will build your confidence. I've been diving since 1973. Archaic would be a good description of the equipment of that time. Use to do a bunch of openwater recreational diving but, these days, I mostly just scrape barnicals off the boat. Previous post suggested that blowing to the surface from 100 ft wasn't a good idea, and it's obviously not,but then I've found little reason to be at 100 ft. Keep it simple,and shallow. St Andrews jetty in Panama City beach is a good example. One of the most important things I've learned diving is,know when to say no. Don't let others get you out of your comfort zone. Diving is an enjoyable, safe sport, when properly approached. As is sailing. Great physical, and mental exercise as well. I'd encourage you to at least give it a try. I find diving in poor visibility a waste of time, unless there's a specific purpose. Take a trip to the keys,or somewhere comprable. I've found it to be a life long joy. As far as the fishies go,haven't seen many predators, and don't stick your hands in any holes. You'll be fine. Fair winds,my friend.
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:28   #25

Stop watching horror movies. And realize how few people die in water scuba diving. From whatever cause.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Fit4Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:28   #26

Thanks y'all! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with these fears!
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:32   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

TooCoys
Quote:
I have the unrealistic fear, especially in this murky chocolate milk type of water we have on the gulf coast, that I'll be swimming along with no visibility and all of a sudden being grabbed and/or stumbling across a dead body.
From my experience... dead people dont cause problems..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:54   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
TooCoys

From my experience... dead people dont cause problems..

Ted Williams
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 13:09   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
That was the point of my question. HOW do you overcome those fears?
When I was 6 I had a terrifying experience of near drowning. I did not even learn to swim till I was 10. It was only because I had an intense curiosity and interest in sea life that I agreed to take a SCUBA class with friends in high school. It was a pretty intense week-long training taught by ex-navy divers. No pool time, all in cold Monterey water. Beach rescue practice in pretty big surf and doff and don practice in cold murky water were a couple of the highlights. Surviving that made most other things seem kind of easy. STILL, I completely understand your fears. The day after seeing "JAWS" I went diving and I was a nervous wreck. But seriously, I think if you focus on the excitement and fun of what you anticipate that will overcome a lot of imaginary threats.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 13:30   #30

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Start off somewhere pleasant. Go on a dive trip to somewhere the water is clear, warm and the weather is nice. I like the Marshall Islands. Inside the water is 70°+, no wet suit, just basic gear. You can see a long way and have few surprises. After a week of 5-6 enjoyable dives a day it will be easier to dive in restricted visibility and crappy places.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote