Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2011, 13:03   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Australia to the Med via Panama

Well my plan was to put the new boat in the water this year, learn all it's foibles (and the crews) and head off in the direction of the Med in 2012, via the Red Sea. After leaving it in the Med for a few years, bring it home via ICW & Carribean, Panama, Galapogus and stop at any islands that might pop up in the Pacific. Well that'a all changed now and my preferred option would be to do it the other way around rather than go via South Africa. The boat is a medium to heavy displacement 42' mono that will be quite stiff and will sail to windward quite nicely. My question is for those that may have crossed the Pacific the wrong way, was it that hard and which way would you recommend?

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 13:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Australia to the Med via Panama

better off taking the old grain/wool route via cape horn than via panama
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 13:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
My question is for those that may have crossed the Pacific the wrong way, was it that hard and which way would you recommend?

Greg
We have done the full route east in the southern ocean and half the way (from Hawaii) in the N pacific.

To Panama, the southern route will be the shortest for you, and if you stay south (on say 35), you don't have to go to windward, but it is cold and windy and wavy. It's not 'hard' - you just need to grit your teeth and do it and be able to sail in strong winds. The N Pacific route is a lot longer for you and only a little 'nicer'. Whatever you do, don't try to just go down the middle in the tropics - That is hard.

From Panama east you do have some windward work to do - best is to head toward N/NE toward the tip of florrida and hope the trades have some se slant to it.

From there it's a piece of cake, only the N Atlantic left

I think if I were you, I would go west, around SA, but east is certaintly possible.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 14:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Go West young man... there's some nice islands and passing South of Good Hope is not as bad as made out...
Jeez... if I'd listened to the stories I'd never have gone through the Straits of Gib... never mind a W - E across the Atlantic solo...
Its only as hard as you make it... good planning makes life easy...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 16:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Go West young man... there's some nice islands and passing South of Good Hope is not as bad as made out.
Hmmm.. I feared this would be the Consensus. Not being a seasoned sailor, I was trying to avoid the Aghulus against a southerly wind issue. I'm sure we'll be getting some posts from people doing the southern route. I will follow with interest. Thanks for your comments.

Greg
Old 28-04-2011, 16:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Hmmm.. I feared this would be the Consensus. Not being a seasoned sailor, I was trying to avoid the Aghulus against a southerly wind issue. I'm sure we'll be getting some posts from people doing the southern route. I will follow with interest. Thanks for your comments.

Greg
Some reading for you on passagemaking along the southern route:

This is on the southern route from NZ to Tahati route :

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Pass...20Raivavae.pdf

These two are on another bit of the southern ocean, but the general lessons are similar to the bit you are considering.

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/SouthernO.pdf

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Southern%20Ocean.pdf
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 22:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Some reading for you on passagemaking along the southern route:

This is on the southern route from NZ to Tahati route :

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Pass...20Raivavae.pdf

These two are on another bit of the southern ocean, but the general lessons are similar to the bit you are considering.

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/SouthernO.pdf

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Southern%20Ocean.pdf
With only HRH William & Catherine to watch on the tellie tonight, I guess by the evening I'll know a lot more about the NZ to Tahiti route. I have read your appraisal of the South African route and as always with your material I have found it very helpful.

Thanks again
Greg
Old 28-04-2011, 23:56   #8

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Upwind through the CAribbean form PAnama isn't very nice!... but if you just sailed that way through the PAcific it probably is doable!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Panama