Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 09:48   #1

beating the no sailing winter blues

Here I sit looking out the window looking at my sailboat and the temp is -1 the lakes are frozen solid. I spend time thinking of the days of last summer and the summers before. The days of sunshine warm winds and peacefull days on the water. I no living in North Dakota is not for everyone but it has been for me for most of my life but I do look forward to the day when sailing will be a year round sport. My wife and I are raising our twin girls up here but when they graduate it will be warmer weather and blue water and one adventure after another. Those are some of the thoughts that get me through every winter and make me enjoy every day above freezing.
jsturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 09:56   #2

Boat: never mind...
Re: beating the no sailing winter blues

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1390240521.465571.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	74343

Upper 50s but cool on the water yesterday on the Mississippi Sound. Come on down!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 09:58   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturl View Post
Here I sit looking out the window looking at my sailboat and the temp is -1 the lakes are frozen solid. I spend time thinking of the days of last summer and the summers before. The days of sunshine warm winds and peacefull days on the water. I no living in North Dakota is not for everyone but it has been for me for most of my life but I do look forward to the day when sailing will be a year round sport. My wife and I are raising our twin girls up here but when they graduate it will be warmer weather and blue water and one adventure after another. Those are some of the thoughts that get me through every winter and make me enjoy every day above freezing.
Vodka helps me cope with the winter and no sailing blues.... just sayin'
Old 20-01-2014, 10:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Crank up the heat... Put on some board shorts and flip flops...Add some Island Calypso tunes... and make a batch of Mai Tais....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ai-118676.html

Lather... Rinse.. Repeat... Until the heater goes into hibernation...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 10:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
Attachment 74343

Upper 50s but cool on the water yesterday on the Mississippi Sound. Come on down!
Wow... Sharp Rig iSaint !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 10:12   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

just think..... you could be stuck in pair a dice during sailing season this winter......
suck it up and make a snowman.....go ice fishing.... ice sailing.....drift the dinghy on the parking lot ice rink.........drift the truck in the parking lot ice rink.....downhill tabogganing on slick ice....
in the street...... no, the BUSY one......
snowball fights....dont forget the ice in middle of the snowballs for best effect (rocks dont work)
hitch the dogs to the car and see how far they can pull it before stopping from exhaustion.....

.ohgeez, what other nearly fatal fun did we used to have in frozeassville..

there is soo muuch snow and ice kinda fun we cannot engage in here, as there is no snow.
but dont feel sorry for me... we will manage.....
lol mebbe even find a machine shop for my engine..lol

no i WONT trade places.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 11:44   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I hear they have schools in California now...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing