Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2011, 07:14   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Betcha next boat for sale missing price or pics?

only driven on sundays by lil old lady sunday school teacher.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:02   #47

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Seling our last couple of boats, my wife gave me all kinds of grief saying the boat looked better than at any time we had owned her. Got within 10% of my asking price and both boats surveyed out well. Mind you we lived aboard and cared for them like they were our home which they were.
Pity so many sales go south because of cosmetic and cleanliness issues that can be fixed easily. A decent broker should give the seller advice in this area but that is expecting too much, I guess. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:54   #48

Most of the sellers I have seen in the past six months simply don't know how to market their boat. Pictures are an important part of the sales package, just as specs, price and location. That said why would you show pictures of all your junk, v-berth full of "crap" and dirty dishes in the galley? Or my fav, pictures so badly made it is hard to tell what you are looking at.
Another important part of the sales package, often missing, is a survey, when was it done, by whom, and where can I go to read it for myself.

If you want serious bucks for your boat, get serious about marketing it.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 09:11   #49
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

All the grumbling here made me chuckle... yeah it's annoying, and as the mod who *usually* does the house keeping in the classifieds it makes me a bit crazy when one of these minimalist posts comes in...

But really, you guys would be AMAZED at how often when I contact them the absence of pictures is because they either didn't know how to get a picture of the camera and onto the forum... gotta down load from the camera to the 'puter, and the upload to the internet... TRICKY business don'tcha know?

OR they were trying to be polite and not take up too much space... ; -D

Its sorta of sweet how happy they are to have help...

So it's worth remembering it ain't always because someone WANTS to be annoying... Feel free any of you, in my absence, to offer up a friendly post or pm suggesting pics and details and if you can answer the basic questions on how to post the pics even better...

*go to the little yellow mountain icon and.....*

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 12:20   #50

Boat: private yacht always moving

Another important part of the sales package, often missing, is a survey, when was it done, by whom, and where can I go to read it for myself.

If you want serious bucks for your boat, get serious about marketing it.

It does not cost that much for an insurance survey,,the seller should have a copy anyways for himself just to know how much the boat is worth,,,,,,never know,,might be worth more then you think
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 14:42   #51

Great Advice, Capt KJ... CP
Old 24-06-2011, 15:21   #52

Boat: Bristol 38.8

It's a buyer's market, and if sellers want to shoot themselves in the foot and disadvantage themselves even further, it's not my problem. I'm a buyer at the moment. But if I ever become a seller again, I know what to do. In the real estate market, the call it staging.
Home Staging - Staging a House - Art of Home Staging
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 15:29   #53

You know, I never looked at it that way, Curmudgeon... but you are dead right. When I pick up one of those glossy real estate mags at the supermarket, they are a lot better presented than boats for sale... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 25-06-2011, 08:00   #54
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But if I ever become a seller again, I know what to do. In the real estate market, the call it staging.
Home Staging - Staging a House - Art of Home Staging
You are SO right on here. I worked in the staging business for a number of years and our properties would sell thru when identical units just sat on the market.

When the time comes to sell we will be spit shining and dolling up like nobody's business. For starters no matter how experienced a buyer might be, sailing is SO about the romance.

And the distaff partner who is not so into sailing? Will be totally attracted by a charming dollhouse like ambiance...

Not that that staging is going to be the whole deal, just that all other things taken equally between two boats, the one with the fresh flowers and fruit in a basket and pretty linens IS going to sell faster, and for more...

And did I mention that we always had something subtle that smelled good around...? Just a good scented candle will do the trick!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 08:41   #55

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

So is a small scented candle more effective than old cats, greasy food and cigars?

I looked at one house back in the day when we thought that buying a house was a good move (2004) that had 3 overflowing trash cans in the kitchen, dirty dishes piled so high that they were touching the overhead cabinets, mold on the ceiling, and a blood stain on the carpet. I never saw a boat that was that bad but almost...
Old 25-06-2011, 08:44   #56

The last boat I purchased, the owner had his wife bake a bunch of cookies just before I arrived to check out the boat. The odor was fantastic and went a long way to put me in the mood to get serious about buying. I think my wife was sold as soon as she smelled the cookies! Capt Phil
Old 25-06-2011, 08:45   #57

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

BTW, what does it take to become a boat broker? I really think that I could do better than some of these clowns, if I ever finish cruising.
Old 25-06-2011, 09:15   #58

I've never met a group of larger idiots & douchebags than boat brokers. Except maybe politicians. I gave up trying to use them a long time ago.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 10:05   #59

sww914, as long as you know the pointy end from the blunt end and can make it to work before 11:00am, you've got the job!
Seriously though, if I were hiring a broker I would look for several years of experience aboard power and sail, at least a Masters 100 ton license with sail endorsement, a fairly solid mechanical background and good understanding of marine electrical and electronics systems, outstanding people skills and a thorough understanding of marine contract, titling and vessel documentation. Honesty is a plus! Capt Phil
Old 25-06-2011, 11:03   #60
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
BTW, what does it take to become a boat broker? I really think that I could do better than some of these clowns, if I ever finish cruising.
Over here it is not a licenced activity, so apart from the usual business paperwork anyone can hang a shingle out (or website).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale