Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2007, 13:32   #31
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
We named our boat "Trim" and not for any of the reasons most people assume. As the word Trim has many different meaning to different people, in our case, the boat pretty much named itself.

During the year that we installed the teak deck, we were pondering many names for the boat. One day we noticed at the end of every dry laid plank of teak, we had written the word "Trim" letting us know that the plank needed to be cut to length. We stood back and realized that the word "Trim" had been written approximately 500 times and thus the boat was telling us her new name.

If nothing else, people remember the boat and her name. We usually get thumbs-up from Cruisers and rolled eyes from Yachties.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 21:33   #32

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT
Hey cruisingcat, why not name her after the James Bond 007 movie leading lady, "Pussy Galore"?
RichT.
I had toyed with that on our last cat and the boss knocked it back, and she thought "Honour Blackman" was too obscure, so we decided on this.

It came from the safety warning on the Highbuild and Topcoat's that warned of birth defect's if exposed to the fumes of the product's.

Of course on the radio and general conversation she was alway's "Love Child" as she is the closest thing to a daughter that we will ever have.

And then we sold her, but that's another story.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	045_45.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1085  
Old 24-04-2007, 10:14   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As a cruiser, your boat name essentially becomes your name. You use your boat name to identify yourself on the VHF or to make reservations. People remember you by your boat name; it becomes a big part of your identity. Choose carefully.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 11:26   #34

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Was gonna say that I thought Connemera was probably rare, at least on this side of the pond. But noooo, the US Coast Guard site has 10 of them.

Dunno if there's a similar site for Canada. Since there's usually a 10-to -1 ratio for things American versus Canadian, maybe I have the only Connemara north of the border.

Oh well, I still like the name. And as someone said, it would have been bad luck to change it anyway.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 13:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara
Was gonna say that I thought Connemera was probably rare, at least on this side of the pond. But noooo, the US Coast Guard site has 10 of them.

Connemara
You probably know that the name means Hound of the Sea
in Irish: Cú na Mara
pronounced "Koo na Mar a". The "a" in the Mar part sounds like the "o" in the word or as in either /or.

You can call your next boat by that name it will probably be a bit more individual
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 15:38   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Changing member name?

In keeping with the convention of taking the name of the boat is it possible to change our memmber name on Cruisers Forum to our boat name?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 15:44   #37
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
As a cruiser, your boat name essentially becomes your name. You use your boat name to identify yourself on the VHF or to make reservations. People remember you by your boat name; it becomes a big part of your identity. Choose carefully.
Lori is very proud of this fact.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 16:19   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
My vessel originally had a male name..."Carl Albert". The next owner renamed it and let it go to waste when I came upon it. I personally believe that you can rename a boat if you do her right. So far I have sunk $25,000 into her. Cutting out the bad and replacing with the good.
As far as original names...Her name is "Faiaoahe". I will tell you how to pronounce it later in the thread and where it originated from. There is one other boat with the same name...My prior boat
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 19:50   #39

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Quote:
Originally Posted by taojones
Ummm . . . just asking, Captain Mark, but is that the way ("No Rehersal") you spelled the word "rehearsal" on your boat?

TaoJones
No it was spelled the correct way, I wish I had spell check Thanks for the catch...
Old 26-04-2007, 02:15   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Win a Weekend Getaway for 2 people

BoatRenting.com is sponsoring the online Best Boat Name Contest that was launched by Discover Boating earlier this week.

From now until May 24, visitors to the website < Discover Boating - Information, Destinations, Boat Finder & More > can enter their best boat name for a chance to win a houseboat vacation package provided by Forever Resorts. DiscoverBoating.com visitors can view the names posted and vote for their favourite from May 24 to June 15.

Goto: Discover Boating - Information, Destinations, Boat Finder & More

Then click on “Enter to Win”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 04:59   #41

Boat: now floating easy37
divine wind im not sure that i would keep that name i reckon there would be all sorts of sniggers going around the anchorage
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 05:45   #42

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
My brother in law came up with our first cat's name "SeaPaws" and our dingy is Paw Prince. Our next cat we struggled with a new name but wound up going the SeaPaws 2 route we kept our Logo and the Dingy. And we have been called SeaPaws by our crusing friends as a greeting even on the phone when we talk to them as a first Hello.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 13:07   #43

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Our boat was named 'Summer Solstice' when we bought her and I found it not only difficult to say 3 times without getting tongue tied but almost the entire transom was taken up by the name painted in written script.

So I set about coming up with salty names or South Seas sounding names which the Admiral was not taken with.

After many suggestions, I became frustrated and jokingly remarked that since you like margaritas so much - lets name it Tequila. Much to my dismay she immediately latched onto the name. I was able to 'nauticalize it however and we adopted the name 'Ta-Keel-Ah' which also sounds somewhat south seas like if you say it with a Samoan accent. As most will agree, the Captain must relinquish command authority to the Admiral occassionally - for the good of ship and crew - and peace on earth. I have grown to like it though and we get comments from other boaters and even the CG on it's uniqueness.
Old 26-04-2007, 13:49   #44
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just an idea . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
divine wind im not sure that i would keep that name i reckon there would be all sorts of sniggers going around the anchorage
sean
You could always use the Japanese word Kamikaze, northerncat. It should end the snickering in the anchorage about how divine your wind is, and most people are too uneducated to know that it means Divine Wind. As an added bonus, when others hear you say "This is Kamikaze" over the radio, they'll probably give you a wide berth!

TaoJones
Old 26-04-2007, 17:05   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
nmy potential cat name didnt come up, yay of course having said that im not yet telling you what it is
sean
In Aus , you want to check here: http://www.amsa.gov.au/Shipping_Regi...istered_Ships/
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names