Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 03:59   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Boatboys

Another thread had talk of having boatboys watch your boat, even staying on it to do so. This made me think them is lessons and experience to be shared for uses of boatboys.

So what do you use boatboys for? How much do you trust them overall and for what tasks. How do to deal and make arrangements with them? How much do you pay them to do various things?

Any other comments relating to boatboys go ahead and post it.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 04:10   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Boat boys is an Asian Term better to just think paid crew
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 04:17   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
I've heard the term used in reference to the Carb also.

Whatever you call them, my understanding are these are people driving around in little boats coming up to cruisers offerring to "help" them with local stuff etc. This sre the people I was thinking in asking the question.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 04:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
When we had the opportunity, we always bought fresh fruits & vegetables off boat vendors.

Boat Vendors of the Grenadines
The Usual Suspects - Boat Boys of The Grenadines

Are boat boys helping or hurting the yachting industry?

Are boat boys helping or hurting the yachting industry? | St. Lucia STAR

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 05:08   #5
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I've heard the term used in reference to the Carb also.

Whatever you call them, my understanding are these are people driving around in little boats coming up to cruisers offerring to "help" them with local stuff etc. This sre the people I was thinking in asking the question.
Not here, boat boys (crew) are full time help either a 5 or 6 day week depending on what you want to get done. Usually staying on shore till you go cruising

The first one… Julius was with me for 4 years until I moved the boat up to Subic but after a while he missed his wife and baby too much, so I helped him to get a job back in Puerto Galera.

Julius actually completed tech training in TV electronics and by the time he left us, he was capable of doing anything on board and was an excellent varnisher.

The boat boys you are talking about are probabley more of a local mafia… either you hire them or somehow… someway….. they will find a way for you to regret it.

Unless they were personally recommended by another yacht owner I would not trust them alone on the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 DSC_0019.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	17420  
Old 29-06-2010, 09:25   #6

Here in the Caribbean, the term "boat boys" is likely to refer to boat vendors. Like people everywhere, some are fine and helpful; some rather too aggressive or persistent in trying to flog you something - anything. Mostly, however, we've had no problem, because we take the time and trouble to be sociable with them when they pull up alongside - especially so, if their wooden pirogue or craft is well fendered! And we always thank them for offering their wares, or services. We have rarely bought from them, however, and have never employed any for boat work, preferring to do the tasks ourselves. That said, if another cruiser recommends the services of a particular boat boy, then you might feel happy to follow suit.

Sometimes, these boat boys are a godsend. We've seen incidences where charter boats each came aground one after another, pulling into a harbour late in the afternoon, and it was the boat boys who immediately rallied and sorted them out, efficiently and quickly ... and only after giving their assistance asked for a little remuneration!

Sometimes they are a nuisance. In certain anchorages where there are only mooring balls, they will seize on the last remaining ball and insist on helping you tie off to it - for a fee, obviously. That you don't need or want this help is hard to impress on a determined lad who is holding the said ball in his grasp, refusing to surrender it until a deal has been struck.
nautilass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 10:00   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
It's like any other profession in the boating world--hull divers, delivery skippers, surveyors, et cetera--there are boat boys who are conscientious and take great pride in their work, and their are boat boys who want to turn a buck with the least effort. You want to get references whenever possible, and build a relationship where small jobs are done at first, larger ones after responsibility is demonstrated. You don't begin a relationship with a boat boy by hiring him, first time out, to watch your boat for a few days while you travel inland. The first job should be something innocuous, like buffing the stainless.
Old 29-06-2010, 13:12   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
In the eastern Caribbean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilass View Post
Mostly, however, we've had no problem, because we take the time and trouble to be sociable with them when they pull up alongside - especially so, if their wooden pirogue or craft is well fendered! And we always thank them for offering their wares, or services...
What nautilass says is worth repeating. This is the key to having a successful interaction with an eastern Caribbean boat vendor. This was always our policy, and we never had a single problem, anywhere we went. We observed a few instances of the opposite, where the cruiser, or charterer, created their own problem by being rude and dismissive from the get-go.

These folks want, and deserve, respect. We seldom bought anything from them, but, like nautilass, I always spent a little time chatting with them and asking polite questions. Even the "aggressive" ones respond to this.

I've had a few of them offer me the fist-tap (equivalent to a handshake), saying, "Respect, Mon... Respect".
Old 29-06-2010, 15:03   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
And the recent developments in the eastern Caribbean with boat boys is their banding together to form associations with the intent to "protect" their customers - us. Providing security and nightly patrols, dealing swiftly with any nefarious people intent in evil deeds. They are aware that too many "incidents" results in a dramatic drop in boats stopping which results in a dramatic drop in their income.
- - Even on land yard workers are getting the message and here in Trinidad last week a boater on the hard had his new anchor stolen off the ground at night where he was cleaning it. When the yard office and other workers learned of it they swiftly found the anchor and physically convinced the miscreant that such stuff was not allowed in "their" place where they earn their money. The local boaters magazine reported visiting boats numbers was down almost 40% this year, so everybody is getting very protective of their sources of income.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 21:54   #10

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
So what do you use boatboys for?
Everything - cleaning, woodwork, varnishing, painting, fibreglass and gelcoat work, sail repair, engine maintenance, moving the boat, fueling and provisioning etc, etc.

Quote:
How much do you trust them overall and for what tasks.
I trust him to do most jobs other than electrics / electronics.

Quote:
How do to deal and make arrangements with them?
Full time contract

Quote:
How much do you pay them to do various things?
About the same cost of the deterioration that would occur on an unmaintained boat.

Quote:
Any other comments relating to boatboys go ahead and post it.
What we call boat boys here is SE Asia sounds very different to the Carib boatboy. Here it is an employee who does everything necessary to look after the boat. For the race boats this includes deliveries around SE Asia to the various regattas.

They are a great bunch of guys and great sailors

The Carib boat boy sounds like a completely different kettle of fish
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 01:03   #11

It's good to hear that the local boys in the Eastern Carib are banding together as they would know their locals far better then us!! I agree with HUD, just give common sense and proper respect and it usually pans out.. This should be standard for world wide places not just certain areas...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 02:58   #12

Boat: Trawler, Aquila 35, 40 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to mofsubic
I have had for 8 years. For me I have had good luck
1st, I am in the Philippines.
2nd, I also keep a work plan for my guy.
3rd, Most people dont.
If you think that a boat man can be hired whom will plan things your wrong.
I pay about US$ 200 /mo. for 6 days a week.
Keep organized and it works. leave it up to the boat man and it wont.
for your guidance.
mofsubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 12:22   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I get the feeling that we are using the same term - boat boy - to describe two entirely different types of people. In SE Asia it seems that "crew" or part-time "crew" are called boat boys. They seem to "live" on the boat and perform cleaning and some maintenance functions. To me that is "crew" - be it for full time or a few days at a time.
- - In the Caribbean - boat boys are the locals guys who live on land with their families and come out in their little boats or sometimes surfboards offering to sell you something - food, fruit, laundry service, guide service, etc. They almost never actually get on to the boat unless you invite them. Some are quite aggressive about selling their stuff or services and others are more laid back and merely let you know they are there for you if you need something. More and more they are self-educating themselves that being laid-back and available results in more customers and if they provide "value-added" services it also improves their earnings.
- - That is a somewhat "new" development in the Caribbean and it a refreshing and welcome and the visiting cruisers are responding by stopping and employing them as much as possible. Most of us worked hard to acquire the time and vessel we have and we respond favorably to locals who share and respect those attitudes.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 17:16   #14

Boat: Trawler, Aquila 35, 40 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to mofsubic
Amazing how you have decided to define something where you dont live. Living in South East Asia, My boat boy shows up 6 days a week and does not live on the boat.. Not crew Boat Boy. this is very common here. Although when they are crew they dont represent your first question.
And while being a person that has visited the caribbean, I dont think a caribbean would be trusted to visit my boat 6 days a week.
Cheers
mofsubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 17:52   #15
CF Adviser

I think as Orissail explained…. this thread is going in 2 confusing directions…. re crew called boat boys in Asia and the Caribbean interpretation of local day services.

Not sure which way the OP meant but I think he is interested in the latter…. so sorry for adding to the confusion with my first post