Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 17:11   #76

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Boating Pet Peeves

Lobstermen, like anyone else on the water, whether commercial or recreational share the water.

Neither side should feel that the other has or should have the upper hand.

Neither side should take matters into their own hands.

Neither side should make being on the water harder for either.

Wars never solve anything...and the outcome is uncertain till they are over for a long time.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 17:22   #77

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

People who anchor their rented sailboat too close and then dingy off to the beach. Mega yatties running 18 knots up a channel.. Beer that is too cold.... Coffee that is too cold...diesel drips that will not stop..the list goes on. Never mind that any day on the water is better than a day at work.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 17:40   #78

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Obviously you know little about proper etiquette when it comes to Maine lobstermen. Moreover, should they ever see you trying such nonsense, like towing or cutting, you will be in the middle of a ****-storm before you can blink an eye. Forget the law, as they will not call anyone to complain. They will take care of the situation first hand, and pronto!

What Cap Bill doesn`t understand is that the actions he described, if real, were intentional. Not a joke. Lobstering is their livlihood. It`s a job, pure and simple. Pleasure boaters are merely a nuisance, yet Maine lobstermen do have respect and are generally nice people. If you are sinking, they will help. However, if you cruise the coast of Maine you MUST respect their business. It`s an unwritten law. So what if you have to avoid a pot? Just do it, and don`t complain like an *******. Then after you set anchor, take the tender to the dock and enjoy a very fresh and yummy Maine lobster, with steamed clams on the side.

If still confused, just do this: Always give a Maine lobsterman the right of way, and don`t complain. Cutting pot bouys ????? Good luck, my friend!!
They have shotguns on board. They don`t f%#k around. Ever hear of pirates in Maine? NOPE!
Check my location.I live in a lobster community & have been a lobster fisherman.
I fully understand the "no cutting" gentleman's rule.
What Capt Bill described was not "gentlemanly".There is no excuse to set a pot in front of him,while he is carefully squeaking thru what little clear path there is.And then to go behind & set another one behind him....!!??
Those guys weren't fishing-they were bullying-& for no good reason.
And yes-I know full well what a serious lobster fisherman will do to protect his gear from any jackass-fisherman or otherwise.
I would never advocate cutting the gear of a true fisherman,but these guys were not fishermen while pulling that stunt.

Cheers/Len Ingalls
Old 19-03-2015, 17:49   #79

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Lobstermen, like anyone else on the water, whether commercial or recreational share the water.

Wars never solve anything...and the outcome is uncertain till they are over for a long time.
That would be ideal & 99% of "waterfolk" will agree I believe.
Old 19-03-2015, 18:01   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I cannot imagine why someone would monitor so many radio channels that they can't figure out which one is active. Perhaps you're in the wrong hobby of sailing when you should be a ham radio fanatic.

But I do see that I'm in an entirely different situation. I don't even turn the VHF radio on unless I want to make a call. Then I turn if off again. For days.
If you're in the middle of nowhere, fine.

I sail on SF Bay. I monitor 16, 14 for VTS, 12 for shipping outside the Gate, sometime 09 for other traffic and sometimes a working channel for a race or a cruise.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 18:51   #81

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
If you're in the middle of nowhere, fine.

I sail on SF Bay. I monitor 16, 14 for VTS, 12 for shipping outside the Gate, sometime 09 for other traffic and sometimes a working channel for a race or a cruise.
Canibul is in the Turks and Caicos islands. There is nobody to call for help or otherwise most of the time.

I was in Martinique (I think - the islands run together with high fevers) and walked to a boat yard/fishing dock and asked to borrow a VHF so I could hail my charter skipper. No one had one. None in the office. They laughed at me. "We uses our cell Mon". Heh.
Old 19-03-2015, 19:00   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah, blah, blah. That's all nice and good, and spoken like a person who knows absolutely NOTHING about the politics involved with Maine lobstermen. You're dreaming, and please console yourself with delusion. The Maine lobster fishing culture has been the same for many decades, and a pleasure boater's opinions about fairness on the water will go in one ear and very quickly out the other. It is their livelihood ($$$$$), so please guess about whether they will care about your peace ethics when they catch you f#%king with their traps.

In their mind, it's their water. You are graciously being allowed to sail in it. Don't believe me? That's fine. Dream away, life is short.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 19:09   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Check my location.I live in a lobster community & have been a lobster fisherman.
I fully understand the "no cutting" gentleman's rule.
What Capt Bill described was not "gentlemanly".There is no excuse to set a pot in front of him,while he is carefully squeaking thru what little clear path there is.And then to go behind & set another one behind him....!!??
Those guys weren't fishing-they were bullying-& for no good reason.
And yes-I know full well what a serious lobster fisherman will do to protect his gear from any jackass-fisherman or otherwise.
I would never advocate cutting the gear of a true fisherman,but these guys were not fishermen while pulling that stunt.

Cheers/Len Ingalls
I checked your location. Please check mine. Now tell me who knows more about lobster fishing in Maine.

Anyway, I know the culture VERY well. I grew up there. You state you were a lobsterman? Really? Hmmmmm. I have my doubts. No lobsterman, past or present, would ever suggest pulling pots around and screwing with the gear.

Bullying is nonsense. He was setting his traps where he wanted to set his traps and has ALWAYS set his traps. He could give a rat's ass about some mouthy pleasure boater's path. He's going to do what he's always done, and what his father did, and what his father's father did. It's a very close-knit community, and every lobsterman knows every other lobsterman. YOU NEVER F#%K WITH ANYBODY'S GEAR, EVER.

And, since you're so clever, please go cruising there this summer and start pulling the pots around from your rear cleat. Wish I could be there to watch the results of your nonsense!

Have fun lobstering in Canada. Oh, wait, you no longer do that. Disregard that statement.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 19:23   #84

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Oh...I just thought of a major pet peeve related to boating.

When someone asks me "how much did you pay for your boat?"
Are you kidding me? Really?
This is where you can definitively determine the intelligence of the individual.
I will loose respect immediately.
You usually can tell beforehand those who would ask and those who wouldn't ask that question.
Of course this excludes close friendships.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 19:30   #85

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Then after you set anchor, take the tender to the dock and enjoy a very fresh and yummy Maine lobster, with steamed clams on the side.

I visited in laws in Maine.
I got treated to a lobster dinner at their favorite place.
I was sick as a dog for two days.

I'll take Mexican lobster any day.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 19:32   #86

Or the perennial favorite - "isn't owning a boat too expensive?"

I always ask back - "isn't having a family - a wife, 2.5 kids, a dog and 2 cats - too expensive?"
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 19:40   #87

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Around here, Northern Puget Sound or for you PC types, "Salish Sea":

16, 5, and 14.

It would be great if I could just shut off the radio and sail, but reality "IS".

Bill Clinton not withstanding...

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 19:42   #88

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Oh...I just thought of a major pet peeve related to boating.

When someone asks me "how much did you pay for your boat?"

Are you kidding me? Really?

This is where you can definitively determine the intelligence of the individual.

I will loose respect immediately.

You usually can tell beforehand those who would ask and those who wouldn't ask that question.

Of course this excludes close friendships.

Why do you care? If it offends you tell them to go to hell. Maybe they're looking to buy a boat like yours and are curious to know what people actually pay (after reading the hundreds of threads about what percentage of asking to offer on a boat).

And when talking about respect, make sure to double check your spelling.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 20:30   #89

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
Why do you care? If it offends you tell them to go to hell. Maybe they're looking to buy a boat like yours and are curious to know what people actually pay (after reading the hundreds of threads about what percentage of asking to offer on a boat).

And when talking about respect, make sure to double check your spelling.
No comment.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 20:37   #90

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Wire nuts and open crimps in the bilge, and no wrapping it in electrical tape will not waterproof it. Guess what I did yesterday!
Boat wiring is really my biggest pet peeve. Why does everyone want to make it so tight? Obviously there are voltage drop issues, but wire is cheap; just up the gauge and leave a little slack in the line so the next owner isn't upside down inside a bilge cubby hole under the floor of a cabinet trying to solder wire together. Also, I've got tons of real estate for a bus bar, but all the bus bars space the wires so tightly it's impossible to work a new one in. Leave me some gaps! Are there good reasons beside vibration issues and line loss for why this is the standard for boat wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating