Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2008, 05:18   #31

Quote:
Lets get back to cruiser issues,
yes Clyde, I am with you. (and particularly. .
Quote:
What does it cost? What you can afford.
. Rugby? go gently on that ....
Old 13-07-2008, 05:38   #32

C'mon Wheels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigmono2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	4325  
Old 13-07-2008, 06:00   #33

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
WOW,

WHERE OH WHERE, WHEELS

Bring it back to port Captain. We need you on our Dock.

One of the best of the CF, gone let's hope not for LONG
Old 13-07-2008, 07:09   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Wheels has got so much information to share with all of us. The man is an encyclopedia of information.

WHEELS....your input is needed here, and we look for your return...TO ERROR IS HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13-07-2008, 08:27   #35
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I imagine that Wheels will return . . . when he's ready.

In my experience, CF is both addicting and maddening. It's almost impossible to stay away for very long, once you acquire the habit. But occasionally it seems like a different place than the one you've come to know:

- as when it seems none of your "friends" are posting

- as when the currently active threads seem silly or uninteresting

- as when someone pushes your buttons, intentionally or not

- as when you realize you've let it monopolize your valuable time

At times such as the above, it's easy (and important) to take a break, even if you're one of those in positions of authority at CF and feel an even stronger attachment to it. It's even possible, I think, to read a build up of exasperation in the posts of these generally calm and considerate people. (For the record, I've yet to see it creep in to the posts of Hud3 .)

So I look forward to Wheels return - and, who knows, maybe he's just letting Gord close the gap a bit in The Great Race between them for the title of Most Prolific Poster!

TaoJones
Old 13-07-2008, 08:28   #36
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
The good man was crucified over a certain thread
He was not crucified. I simply pointed out some remarks which we had a difference of opinion on them being proper or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
However, Alan did make a very personal remark against Sean and if anyone else had made that remark, Alan would have been the first to chastise them for their bad manners…

My reaction when I read it was exactly Charlie’s comment” Wheels I think that was a bit over the top saying that was the dumbest question

When friends make a mistake, a good friend will tell them...
Mods/Admins have to abide by the same rules as the members. If they do not, it's my responsibility to point out instances where they have not and politely ask them to lead by example. That is what I did in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Alan, I think your friends have told you that and I for one hope that when the waters settle down and you take a break, you will realise you have many friends in this Forum and will return.
I agree. No reason you gotta stay away from the forums Alan. I hope you will be back when you you hear from everyone and realize how many friends you have here (including me).
Old 13-07-2008, 09:12   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

So if Sean has the title on CF.com of "Dumbest Question" does Wheels have the title "Dumbest Comment" (By a Mod)?

I only ask so I know what categories are left to aim for

Quote:
- as when someone pushes your buttons, intentionally or not

- as when you realize you've let it monopolize your valuable time
LOL Yeah, caught myself on this one a few months back - but happened before elsewhere - so I have learnt to take a chill pill and also to ask myself "why am I posting this?" - which seems to cut my output (and blood pressure!) down a bit

At the risk of thread drift As suggested on the thread already, what about a new section in this Off Topic Forum called something like "Davey Jones' Locker"? Stuff like Sully's locked thread (and a few gun ones?) get deep sixed. And also maybe a sticky post to collect posts that have been cut from threads, whether this is a closed thread or not to allow off topic discussions to continue - with the condition that all disagreements that occur in DJ's locker do not surface into the rest of the board.
Old 13-07-2008, 09:14   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Come on back Wheels, you know ol Tellie will buy all the beer you need. We can get snookered, then we'll all go and get new Tatoos. <grin>
Old 13-07-2008, 09:41   #39

I followed the post in question. Not because of Wheels' reply, but because I NEVER understood what Sean was asking. Maybe it wasn't the dumbest post on here. Gawd knows I have seen some damned stupid ones. But, It was one of the most vague, poorly reasoned and written I have seen. Sorry Sean I calls them as I sees them.

Wheels, come back when it is time. And you still have an invitation to the house if you ever get to Florida.
Old 13-07-2008, 10:39   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
one of the most vague, poorly reasoned and written I have seen

Wheels, come back when it is time. And you still have an invitation to the house if you ever get to Florida.

Well, my editor was out of town that day and my assistant had to go home early, so there was no one in to check my grammar and spelling that day.

So just because my question wasn't worded perfectly, I don't get to come to FL too? My editor will be hearing about this!!

ha ha
Old 13-07-2008, 10:50   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I miss Wheels as well. He was one of the better contributors and hopefully still will be one of the contributors.

Sometimes with forums, as with all things in life, you just have to overlook the bad and focus on the good. There are LOTS of good things about this forum.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:10   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
I followed the post in question. Not because of Wheels' reply, but because I NEVER understood what Sean was asking. Maybe it wasn't the dumbest post on here. Gawd knows I have seen some damned stupid ones. But, It was one of the most vague, poorly reasoned and written I have seen. <snip>
I respectfully disagree, Jonesee.

Let me try to re-phrase Sean's query:

If a cruising sailor comes to a place that provides (pay) docks, (pay) mooring balls and (free) anchorage, but the anchorage is limited to adequate room for about four vessels (so once the free anchorage is filled his options are to either pay for a mooring ball or dock space, or continue on) then is it ethical for a local vessel-owner to permanently take one of the anchoring spots and never vacate it?

The anchoring-out option is traditionally for transient sailors and, in my experience, most people understand this to mean "short-term." It is the equivalent of a thirty-minute parking zone directly in front of a medical building. Is it ethical for a "resident" of the building to park his car in the zone and never move it? After all, he pays rent while those who are dropping off or picking up patients are "just passing through."

If a person in such a locale as Sean described takes 25% of the anchorage with his vessel, it's no big deal:

- unless he never vacates the spot;

- unless he is a local and knows full-well space is limited in the anchorage;

- unless there is more-than-sufficient dockage and mooring balls, for which payment is required;

- unless paying for dockage or a mooring ball is, for him, an insignificant sum.

What I find surprising is that in a cruising forum, ostensibly filled with active cruisers - that is, the very people who often rely on anchorages - many have reacted to Sean's question as if they were local boat-owners who seldom leave their home port.

To such inactive voyagers, transient boaters are intruders; uninvited interlopers using "their" water, fuel, showers, dinghy docks and, yes, anchorages - without contributing to the local tax base. I'm astonished to read this point of view on a forum with the sub-head "Cruising Boats, Cruising People, Cruising Answers."

Could it be there are people here who haven't actually cruised their vessels; who seldom sail more than a few miles from their home ports; who return to their familiar slip each evening; who have deeper roots in a single locale than their cruising dreams acknowledge?

For me, Sean's original question is to the point and well-worth asking - but then Sean is an active cruiser.

TaoJones
Old 13-07-2008, 11:17   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I think Sean's original post brought up a good point, maybe not worded precise enough so that a few took it upon them selves to decide what the motivation was and used that to take a shot at Sean. Wheels comment was a little over the top but then who among us has not put their foot into it at one time or another? Maybe he is just out an a short cruise tipping back a few cold ones. What ever the reason come back soon.

Patrick, age 9
Old 13-07-2008, 11:51   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Hey Sully, there's always room down at El Rancho Tellie anytime.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:57   #45
cruiser

I could not have summed up my original query any better than this. Well, *obviously* I couldn't have summed it up any better, because I didn't!

Tao Jones is very accurately re-phrasing my question.

It hadn't occurred to me that most of the people on here are local cruisers, as he points out, but in hindsight, this is obviously the case.

What can I say? The man is brilliant! Good post, and great insight into those responses, which frankly, did confuse me as I had imagined I was talking with active cruisers when asking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I respectfully disagree, Jonesee.

Let me try to re-phrase Sean's query:

If a cruising sailor comes to a place that provides (pay) docks, (pay) mooring balls and (free) anchorage, but the anchorage is limited to adequate room for about four vessels (so once the free anchorage is filled his options are to either pay for a mooring ball or dock space, or continue on) then is it ethical for a local vessel-owner to permanently take one of the anchoring spots and never vacate it?

The anchoring-out option is traditionally for transient sailors and, in my experience, most people understand this to mean "short-term." It is the equivalent of a thirty-minute parking zone directly in front of a medical building. Is it ethical for a "resident" of the building to park his car in the zone and never move it? After all, he pays rent while those who are dropping off or picking up patients are "just passing through."

If a person in such a locale as Sean described takes 25% of the anchorage with his vessel, it's no big deal:

- unless he never vacates the spot;

- unless he is a local and knows full-well space is limited in the anchorage;

- unless there is more-than-sufficient dockage and mooring balls, for which payment is required;

- unless paying for dockage or a mooring ball is, for him, an insignificant sum.

What I find surprising is that in a cruising forum, ostensibly filled with active cruisers - that is, the very people who often rely on anchorages - many have reacted to Sean's question as if they were local boat-owners who seldom leave their home port.

To such inactive voyagers, transient boaters are intruders; uninvited interlopers using "their" water, fuel, showers, dinghy docks and, yes, anchorages - without contributing to the local tax base. I'm astonished to read this point of view on a forum with the sub-head "Cruising Boats, Cruising People, Cruising Answers."

Could it be there are people here who haven't actually cruised their vessels; who seldom sail more than a few miles from their home ports; who return to their familiar slip each evening; who have deeper roots in a single locale than their cruising dreams acknowledge?

For me, Sean's original question is to the point and well-worth asking - but then Sean is an active cruiser.

TaoJones
Closed Thread