Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 19:16   #16

Boat: now floating easy37
surely if you are going to block the bumfuzzle thread then half the mono vs multi (which i heartily join in on) threads would be in this category as well so we may as well lock these as well
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-in-7756.html

we seem to have the same kind of opinionated hyperbole in these threads which also can tend to get very heated but we never see a mention of locking these threads
sean
Old 05-04-2007, 19:23   #17

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by taojones
. . . In the latest update on the bumfuzzle.com website, their March 28,2007 entry from Luperon, DR includes the following:Next we were on the internet when we found out that the chat rooms have banned Bumfuzzle. The cruisers forum website, where the Bumfuzzle thread holds the record for most discussed topic ever, has locked all Bumfuzzle threads from further discussion and apparently is now even deleting new threads. The thing that gets me is that their tagline reads, "discussion board and photo gallery for cruising sailors and wannabes." And here I thought that our website was a pretty good resource for those very people. Guess not though, the "real" cruisers that run that site have concluded that our story is irrelevant to those wannabe cruisers and needn't be discussed any further."It's very hard to believe that this could be true. Would one of the Mods like to address this?TaoJones
I have to wonder what their statements are based on?? Is (was) their thread the record holder? (I thought the firearms thread was, but that is just a guess.) Does the forum actually post that information somewhere or is this just their estimation? What new thread was deleted? If it was deleted how do they (non-members) know? Whatever happened to old threads and potential new threads it seems to me that making such inflamitory statements against this forum, based on??? will not win them any fans. Lori
Old 05-04-2007, 20:42   #18

Boat: Trawler
Quote:
. . . It's very hard to believe that this could be true. Would one of the Mods like to address this?

TaoJones
I'm not a mod but I'll address it.
I see you are a newcomer much like me but yet you come on here like a person with tenure spuing inaccuracies and accusations. The stupid thread went on for 420 something posts with little info that one could use. I would call it gossip like a bunch of church woman gathering in the parking lot eyeballing the group with the old close.
I was tired of seeing the damn thing popping up every day. It's like the old rotten moss covered boat that's taking up a perfectly good slip.

Yours Aye!
Old 05-04-2007, 21:23   #19

Boat: now floating easy37
I was tired of seeing the damn thing popping up every day
but you reckon you're a newcomer and i havent seen it pop up recently, there were some interesting discussions about jellyfish prodders and other relevant safety devices
Old 05-04-2007, 21:54   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Calm down, Bilge Rat . . .

. . . your blood pressure will be the better for it.

I suspect you read the quote in Knottygirlz post, and not my original post that began this thread. That would explain your misconception that all of the words in Knottygirlz post are mine. Please refer back to my thread-starting post for clarification.

In addition, because I am the helpful sort, I offer the following:

The word is spelled "s-p-e-w-i-n-g." The plural of woman is spelled "women." If you're referring to clothing, it's spelled "c-l-o-t-h-e-s."

And, lastly, two words: Anger Management

Best,

TaoJones
Old 05-04-2007, 22:56   #21

Boat: Trawler
If your gonna be check'n spell'n then I guess you got a lot of work to be do'n. If you'ns check back to da begin'n ya'll see lots of da stuff and I'll bet if'n I do a spell check on all of your'ns I'll find som'n wrong

As for Knottygirlz post, I haven't even read it yet. I only read the first post and hit "quote". See your making assumtions now. Just goes to show ya!

As for anger, that's my middle name and this ain't it. Can't get a job done without a li'l grump once in a while.

Yours Aye!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:03   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Very well, B.Rat . . .

. . . It appears, then, that a little remedial education is in order.

When a writer places quotation marks around a word or phrase, he is indicating to the reader that the word/s therein belong to someone else. Further, by setting the quoted material off in a free-standing paragraph, the writer is providing another clue that there is something different about that material. And finally, when the writer cites the original source for the quoted material, and indicates where in the original source the reader can find the quoted passage, the writer is providing additional guidance for the terminally obtuse.

Of course, it isn't fair that the above facts are callously hidden away from the functionally illiterate in something called "books." But, for those who are still doubtful, get your hands on a grammar text. I should think one written for an American public school student would suffice, perhaps eighth grade level.

TaoJones
Old 06-04-2007, 08:16   #23

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
As much as I hate to see threads locked, you two look like you're just proving the mods' point.
Old 06-04-2007, 13:02   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
it isn't fair
'tis too.
Old 06-04-2007, 17:01   #25

Spontaneous Combustion

Okay, I'm beginning to understand now. If a thread about a controversial thread can heat up this fast, I can only imagine what was happening those months I was ignoring it.

I'm glad I climbed "on the wagon" when I did. Seems anything I missed wasn't worth reading. It had run its course after the first hundred posts, anyway. I feel no sense of loss.

And tajones, another use for quotation marks is to highlight a common idiom or saying, instead of a direct quote, which is not of the author's invention…
Old 06-04-2007, 21:01   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are quite correct, CaptainJeff . . .

. . . quotation marks are also used for the purpose you describe above. But in the context of my post which started this thread, such usage is not relevant. Thank you, though, for the opportunity to further explain myself.

I started this thread simply to try to find out if the material I quoted from the original author at bumfuzzle.com was correct. I could not believe that the moderators of this board would resort to the censorship that was inferred in Ali or Pat Schulte’s words (I don’t know which of them is the actual author of the quoted material.)

When another individual on this board (see post #18, above) took me to task for stating the bumfuzzle crew’s thoughts as if I were the author at bumfuzzle.com, and indicated that I was somehow unqualified to say anything because I had only been a member here since the end of last year, I felt compelled to point out to him that his assumption that the words were mine was incorrect.

Yes, I then got a bit sarcastic – I was an English Literature major, after all, and cringe when I encounter the thoughtless abuse our language too often receives. When the inevitable flame came back, I responded in the way I know best. With words.

But the words I chose, while meant to educate, ultimately turned sarcastic yet again. If those words are read by some as demeaning, I apologize. That was not my original intent, but sarcasm can be a treacherous tightrope to walk.

To my complete satisfaction, I felt the original question I posed to start this thread had been rationally and adequately answered by Pblais back at post #14. Would that it had ended there.

So, to the extent that I have contributed heat, rather than light, to the discussion, I apologize to the members of this board and the moderators. I do not envy the mods their necessary, albeit thankless, role.

This board is an invaluable resource to the sailing community in so many ways. I will do better in future to help it remain so.

TaoJones
Old 23-04-2007, 12:47   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
Bums

It is unfortunate because, we all come here to share and learn, if you see the threads they are many views on doing things. Just because Pat and Ali decided they had tthe right to sail without any knowledge, it does not give the right to bash them or for that matter the people who supported them (the the case here). I read pretty much the whole thread as it was started back a while, and got to know Pat and Ali, personally while in Puerto Rico, spent close to a week with them, and they are the most humble, unpretentious people I have met. If you noticed they have no sponsor, no rules, just 2 people that did something (since they arrived) that many people thought it was not feasable. That some people are worried that it may set off other people doing the same.......so? we need to let people live, thay are sure not hurting anybody. They are not pretending something they are not, hence their Cat Name "Bumfuzzle" meaning unknown, misunderstood. If you read what they went through, it quite "real world informative" , no "do the search engine" before posting comments there.... there are a lot of new people coming on the sport that look for stories and look for guidance, and I believe this forums provides that to some extent, you have your know it all, that does not want to share, and you have your know it all, that is absolutly extatic about sharing his knowledge with you. I am an avid pilot also, and here in PR there is some people trying to go around the world in a Helicopter! would I do it? no.... but they are....and if they succeed imagine the stories thay will have to tell their children and anyboady who wants to listen. I guess all in all, we should let supporters support, and not bashed them here on the site.

my 2 cents

TAO, apologies in advance for grammar.... I am iliterate in 2 languages
Old 19-02-2008, 19:08   #28

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
The main thing is, that most of these people are afraid of the Bumfuzzles. They went out there and did it, not just sitting around in their chairs and wishing they were out there sailing around the world on their own terms and ways, not the way everybody else thinks that they should be doing it.
Old 19-02-2008, 19:43   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
The main thing is, that most of these people are afraid of the Bumfuzzles. They went out there and did it, not just sitting around in their chairs and wishing they were out there sailing around the world on their own terms and ways, not the way everybody else thinks that they should be doing it.
"their own term" It must be nice to be young & wealthy enough to buy a full size Cat and naive enough to succeed a circumnavigation, and survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones
Yes, I then got a bit sarcastic – I was an English Literature major, after all, and cringe when I encounter the thoughtless abuse our language too often receives.
And the same goes for Ole Salts, to cringe at the thought of the Bums actually making it. It seems like an insult to all that dedicate their life to being a worthy Mariner.
Old 19-02-2008, 19:55   #30
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
The main thing is, that most of these people are afraid of the Bumfuzzles.
Don't think so:

Nothing to be afraid of here: A couple of naive idiots bragging about painting their emergency equipment gray, and slamming some islanders for not splicing their lines or serving pizza.....

That being said, I am happy they are still alive despite their ignorance and their arrogance.

In fact I take my hat of for they DOING it.