Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 18:43   #121

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Bash, we mustn't forget foot ropes along the yards, man ropes along the decks, and the inevitable ropes' end applied to the backsides of slackers. And I know that I'll never get roped into such a discussion again.

Jim
Old 30-05-2011, 19:17   #122

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

And don't forget that some people need enough rope to hang themselves

Rope lockers were originally called cable lockers until synthetics made cables smaller.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 19:24   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Best of luck and hopefully you can let us know how it went.
That's the way I did it. The first storm was a Force 12 on a new to me boat. No damage, no real problems. Just a very fast passage...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 19:31   #124

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Other than this coastal cruise from San Francisco down to Puerto Vallarta (where their obstetrician resides), I'm not sure Pat and Ali will have much more to say about the differences between their Wildcat and the Spindrift than they've already put in their blog. Once they reach PV, they won't be doing much sailing for awhile. When Ali delivers the new baby, I imagine they'll be dock-bound for at least several months . . . maybe a year or more.

They love Mexico (and by the way, Pat has a cast iron stomach and eats local fare wherever they travel - the hotter, the better), so other than cruising the Mexican west coast and possibly Central America, I don't believe there will be any long boring passages any time soon. I could be wrong, though . . . if the fancy strikes, they could be off on another circumnavigation before the newest little Bum is even walking.

They are adventurers, after all.

I could never figure out why people bashed their eating habits so much. The would eat anything from a roadside stand in the middle of nowhere... seems pretty adventurous to me.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 19:41   #125

When they would talk about Pizza, Taco Bell, eic. some of the peopke on forums would get on there a$$ about it, so they would talk about it more. But like you said, they would eat anything
Old 30-05-2011, 19:46   #126

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

They're young and I think their families weren't poor. They grew up on Taco Bell and computers and cell phones. It's different. I drive everywhere but my grandfather thought it was silly, he grew up without a car. He walked everywhere he could. He lived to be over 200.
Old 31-05-2011, 10:17   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
A poster at SN claims to have talked with the Ali, and warned her against bad fuel, old, in the tanks. Apparently they are in port, Santa Cruz 60 miles away, to repair the problem. I like them, but this remark worries me with children involved " we don't do trial runs, we just go. It's part of the adventure" Hopefully this will be an eye opener for them........i2f

If you do follow their log, Ali replies to this:

"Some people had suggested the problem was bad fuel, or clogged fuel lines, from our decades old fuel tanks. But in fact our port tank, the only tank this engine has run off of since we moved aboard, is a brand spanking new plastic tank and never had a drop of fuel in it or run through its brand new fuel lines. So that most definitely wasn't the answer."

Isn't it interesting all the diagnoses from a far that occurs. It's great if you have most of the facts, not so great when it is only speculation or the dreaded "it could be's".

JMHO
Old 31-05-2011, 12:11   #128

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

It could be they don't dread a lot of things. They just deal with it. They also are very smart and able to figure things out. Keep following them or go back and read between the lines.

They made their own money and their own decisions. Very courageous indeed.
Old 31-05-2011, 12:31   #129

Ii always gets to m e when people that either never read their blog or just glanced at it saying how they were cruising on Daddy's money. Always jumping to conclusions..
Old 31-05-2011, 13:16   #130

Boat: Nordhavn 43

For the people who complained about the lack of nautical terminology... Like Pat & Ali, when my husband and I circumnavigated, we wrote a blog for our family and friends to follow. Since we had no boating background, neither did our friends and family. We were careful to use as little terminology as possible since "boat speak" is a foreign language to non-boaters. Hubby and I were also criticized for the lack of nautical terms and on focusing more on travel than boating, per se.

Just remember everything in the Bum's blog was written for their target audience, which WAS NOT YOU GUYS! Yes, they did address criticisms from you guys from time to time, but for the most part, it wasn't about you.
ChristiGrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 13:40   #131

Keep watch, they will be in the neighborhood, maybe they'll stop by and you can say HI
Old 31-05-2011, 15:25   #132
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

avb3,

As I posted it was hearsay about the fuel problem, but that wasn't my point. My point was the comment about we don't do trial runs. That's fine, and well for a grown couple. Now if the comment is true, then that worries me. You got an unborn, and a child with no say so, and you go to sea in a questionable situation?

I must type too that your last sentence is rather condensending to my concern over children. If you think that is a bad concern then that shows a lot about yourself..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 16:47   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
avb3,

As I posted it was hearsay about the fuel problem, but that wasn't my point. My point was the comment about we don't do trial runs. That's fine, and well for a grown couple. Now if the comment is true, then that worries me. You got an unborn, and a child with no say so, and you go to sea in a questionable situation?
I choose your quote as it started the discussion about the probability of the problem being with an old tank etc. etc. Perhaps I should have included some of the other quotes also which were doing the analysis from a far.

Quote:
I must type too that your last sentence is rather condensending to my concern over children. If you think that is a bad concern then that shows a lot about yourself..........i2f
Without being part of the conversation, I am only speculating by making this following comment.

The Bumfuzzles have been roasted on many a spit over the past years. May I suggest Ali made the comment knowing fully well that the tank had been changed already?

Having raised two children, and having 3 grandchildren, I can tell you that I do have concerns about safety. I am also not anal about it, and love the fact that my 4.5 year old grandson thoroughly enjoyed his 2 week canoe trip with his pregnant mom through the wilderness of northern B.C.
Click image for larger version

Name:	39318_462064540929_699790929_6873826_1143207_n.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	27938Click image for larger version

Name:	39318_462064520929_699790929_6873822_4626996_n.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	27937

I am not sure if the Bumfuzzles journey is much different.

I did not intend my comments to be construed as a personal attack, so would appreciate the same consideration. Having different points of view can be expressed respectfully.
Old 31-05-2011, 17:24   #134

Boat: c&c landfall 43

I would really love to know what they do for a living that allows them to travel for the last 5 or 6 years? especially if they have made there own money. sign me up.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 17:34   #135
Marine Service Provider

Pat stated that some wise investment choices allowed this to take place. There was also mention of Apple stock unless I'm mistaken. If you bought those a long time ago they alone would pay for such an adventure!
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing