Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 05:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Camper when off the boat

Hi all, in a year or two I'm considering storing the boat and spending the off season doing some land travel in the US and Canada.

I'd think of buying something like this
https://www.reconcampers.com/

Used. With the idea of selling after one or two seasons, preferably with minimum loss.

I'm not familiar with what's available in the States, any other equivalents of the above that you could recommend?

Also what's the best used camper website to look on? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180528-165147.png
Views:	171
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	170659
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Camper when off the boat

A lot of people do what you propose.
US market for camper vans is not all that good, US seems to be enamored with huge RV’s, the bigger the better, and tow your full size SUV or pickup truck too.
Most any camper you find that is say ten years old or so and bought at a good price can be sold in a year or two without losing much.
Key of course is it paying too much.

I used to RV with a fifth wheel, back then the best RV buys could be had around Mesa Az, reason is there are a tremendous number of older snow birds there that sell as they get too old to RV. Usually these older people have maintained it well, and used it gently without excessive miles.
Az has pretty much a zero corrosion issue, but UV is fierce of course.

They are just exactly like a Boat, that is a depreciating asset, so buy a little older, but in good shape if you don’t want depreciation to eat you alive, just like a Boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:55   #3

Hi A64, what do you call the type of camper im looking for, we just call them camper vans or vans. I see you have type A,B and C?

A quick search shows that you guys certainty like your stuff big,! Im surprised how cheap the used big 40 footers are relative to what you get, not that im after anything like that.
Old 28-05-2018, 10:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Camper when off the boat

I call them camper vans myself, but think they are a Class B
I miss my old VW Westfalia myself.
From a money perspective I’d suspect the Best Buy’s may be in the single axle, front engine, gasoline engine class A. Reason is there are so many, and many, many people buy them and find out how much fuel they consume, they drive terribly actually, wind and trucks blow them around and don’t have the time to really use them etc.,so low mileage ones that are in excellent shape are very common, actually the average is in good shape from what I have seen.
Class C looks like a truck front end but with a camper put on the truck, which is what it is.
Class B is your camper van. I’d suspect a good camper van to be harder to find at a good price cause they are few in number, are not so hard to drive and don’t use an enormous amount of fuel, so they rack up a whole lot more mileage.

The gas motor single axle Class A is a lot like the boats you see that never leave the Marina, but for someone who only wants one for a few years they are likely a good buy.
A “serious” RV’er with some cash goes for a Diesel pusher of course, but the extra expense will never be paid for in fuel consumption, especially as now Diesel is considerably more expensive than petrol, since it became ULSD, used of be it was much less than Petrol, then it made sense to pay more up front and save money on fuel.

On edit, my original plan on Retirement was to buy a Diesel Pusher and travel around the Continent, however as I already had experience with a fifth wheel, I knew that in most of the US, all you can do is travel from one KOA campground to the next KOA campground, and that is boring and expensive, you can’t anchor out in an RV very often, your buying a Marina slip so to speak every day.

Out in the West I believe it’s different, out there there are millions of acres of public land that I think you can sort of anchor out of you will, but not in the rest of the country.
Old 28-05-2018, 10:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Many, many people in the US want new and turn their nose up at anything used, and you would be surprised at how they try to justify it, but in truth it’s usually a form of snobbery, there is a stigma with used.
For that reason in the US there are some great buys on used boats, automobiles, RV’s etc.
Average buyer in the US buys the biggest they can afford to finance, House, SUV, Boat, RV etc. I don’t understand it, if you look at the average house size in the US since the 1950’s there is just no logic in it at all, it’s done to impress the neighbors I think.
Old 28-05-2018, 10:41   #6

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I'm not sure where you're from, but as a64pilot indicated, the market for these small campervans isn't as prevalent as places such as Australia or NZ.

In much of North America, a search on 'Camper' will typically return a small self contained camperized unit that fits into the back of a pickup truck. They can be removed from the bed of the truck when not in use.

Then, a search for 'Campervan' will net the version that you posted, but mixed with hundreds of full size vans often with fixed tops, V8's and often extended (Class 'B's as a64pilot describes). Newer versions will quite often be even larger Dodge Sprinters, or VW cargo vans with camper conversoins.

What you posted is effectively a newer version of the Volkswagen Westfalia which for some reason has just never been as popular here and overshadowed by the full size RV, large 5th wheel trailers, etc. There were a few previous companies doing these conversions, including a licensed 'Westfalia' based on a Dodge Caravan in the late 90's to early 2000's, but you just don't see them come up very often. When they do though, they seem to sell quickly as there's so few of them. An option is the VW Westfalia and like Oz & NZ they hold their value well (very well actually!), but they can be a bit harder to find parts for and have a reputation for poor reliability. I think this is undeserved if you understand their limitations (cooling on the air cooled ones, etc.), they're maintained and you have a reasonable level of mechanical ability, but I may be biased. (Full disclosure, I've had 3 Westfalias over the years in both Canada and Australia, have never had one leave me stranded anywhere. I actually still have a 1988 version). If you decide you're going to consider a VW Westfalia, PM me and I can give you some suggestions as to the pros/cons of the various vintages and models.

One consideration and item to do some research on is registration. Both times when we returned from overseas to Canada after an multi-year absence, we've had to re-establish residency and a get a driver's license in the province we were living in BEFORE we could register (and insure) a vehicle..... This was markedly different from our experiences in Australia and NZ where you could register a vehicle even if you didn't have a local driver's license. I'm not sure about the US, it might be easier (probably state dependent)? There may also be ways of doing it here if you're a non-resident, but either way, some research would be recommended before you plop your cash down on a vehicle.

Cheers,
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 10:55   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I'd just get an extended Chevy Express gas powered, under 80K or so, ideally fleet maintained or single owner with maintenance records.

From someplace they don't need to salt the roads.

A platform for a foam mattress, storage underneath, add amenities as you go.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:58   #8

Try "The Samba" website for VW Westfalia vans. Great many on there always. Some have been converted to Subaru engines which aids reliability.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 13:25   #9

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

You might check out https://rv.campingworld.com/

Pretty good description on various models and such.

Another thought that maybe someone way North of me can help with: Last year I was in Zion park in Utah. There were like five of these van based capers all with Canadian license plates and some big logo on every one of them. It lead me to believe there is a company in Canada that will lease you a camper for extended trips. They did this when I was in NZ many moons ago.
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 21:10   #10

Thanks guys, im Australian and a ex motor mechanic (but dont want anything i have to work on..lol). Not serious until at least your summer next year, just trying to get a feel.
Old 28-05-2018, 22:57   #11
cruiser

If you buy the small camper van pictured in your original post, my wife and I will be interested to purchase it when you’re finished in 2-3 years.

Just don’t go adding a composter toilet.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 02:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

A, B, & C ? ➥ https://www.expeditionmotorhomes.com...-c-motorhomes/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:17   #13

Dale, if you’re planning on visiting Canada and the US, I suggest you get yourself a camper that displays both metric and imperial. This way as you cross countries you won’t need to do the mental math for speed and distance.

I would also suggest you carry spare parts (especially oil and filter, spark plugs, air filter) because if you run into trouble, parts are not always immediately available in tiny/small communities (but most garages have the tools). Plan for good (heavy duty) tires if you head up to Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territories - the roads are rough up there and chew tires like some of us go thru coffee.

Craigslist (US) and Kijiji (Canada) are good places to start looking for an RV. I have found that Spring (April) and Fall (October) are the best times for selection in the northern half of the US and throughout Canada. Methinks RVers are like boaters and get bigger-itis during the winter months. lol

If possible, order copies of each state and provincial travel guides as the internet is sporadic in some places. I soloed from Ottawa, ON to Homer Spit, AK a few years ago and was able to pick-up wifi at most Walmarts, Canadian Tire, and coffee shops, but there were times I was happy to have paper copies.

And be prepared to see some AMAZING wildlife in your travels. At one point on my trip, I came around a bend on the Alaska Highway, needed to slam on the brakes because there were 6-8 large wood buffalo on the road and about 2 dozen more on the side of the highway - truly awesome! And because you're on their turf can’t push them out of your way. Also remember seeing mountain goats and sheep, bears, etc.

Have fun.
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:24   #14

Forgot to mention, here are 2 sites for relatively inexpensive or free camping:

https://freecampsites.net

https://www.allstays.com

and if you google ‘boondocking’ you’ll find plenty more.

Also, truck stops are great for showers and laundry.

Just saying.

Edit: this link shows was is available today, by way of a Class B https://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome...ationFlag=true
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:36   #15

Thanks Yachzee, good info. I hadn't actually thought of Alaska, I am now.

Tags
boat