Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 02:57   #1

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Can I marry my daughter?

As the Capt of my vessel, S/V Tivoli, can I marry my daughter? She is not yet ready for marriage, however, we have talked about this and she would like to be married aboard Tivoli. Can I legally do that? Or do I have to become a justice of the peace? Would I have to go three miles out, I would like to ensure she is legally married.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I presume you want to perform the marriage ceremony, not engage in an incestuous marriage.
I'd check with the particular jurisdiction, in which you want the marriage to be legally recognized.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:33   #3

Yes, I think you are correct, I should have been a little clearer in stating my question. As I re-read my question it makes me laugh. Needless to say I would like to "perform the marriage ceremony", not incestuously marry my daughter.
So may I presume just because a person is the Capt of a vessel he/she is not endowed with the authority to marry a person?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
State laws prescribe who can perform marriage ceremonies. Generally, a ship's captain doesn't have the legal right to perform a wedding at sea. In many jurisdictions, a Captain of a ship, must be a judge, a justice of the peace, a licensed or ordained minister ,or an officially recognized officiant such as a Notary Public or Court Commissioner, to perform a legal marriage at sea.

You need to seek specific advice - probably from two jurisdictional sources, if you're intending a foreign locale:
1. The intended venue - who do they allow to perform marriages?
2. You home locale - will your home jurisdiction recognize the foreign marriage?

With advance apologies to our Southern US confederates, I’m glad to learn that your location (CT) is Connecticut and not Central Tennessee

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:12   #5

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
I actually had a couple friends get married on my boat. They hired a justice-of-the-peace and the ceremony was performed on the foredeck.

While looking into this I discovered that the boat had to be docked; not underway or anchored, but actually secured to a dock. The reason for this is that a marriage is a matter of public record and the fact of a marriage has to be filed someplace, usually in the town or city where the marriage occurs. So the boat itself has to definitely BE someplace ... not drifting about in some vaguely identified area or jurisdiction.

Just an interesting fact, IMHO.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:17   #6

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Here's another option... Arrange ahead of time with a minister or judge to sign the marriage certificate upon your return to port... You (The Captain) would still get the priveledge of performing the ceremony on your boat without have to add one to the boat crew (Justice of the Peace, or minister).

Just a thought.
Mark
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00   #7

Gord,

You have actually given me two good laughs today, and they way today is going it is appreciated.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:01   #8

Thanks for all of the information, interesting that the boat has to be docked.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:35   #9

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
The Admiral and I were married on our boat 20 years ago this September. The boat was aloat and not tied to the dock. The service was done by a Rent-A-Rev (Reverend - Presbyterian I think) and we and several of our friends boats were all rafted together.

Does this mean I am not legally married? "Velly Intelesting, but velly amuzing!"
Old 06-04-2007, 16:23   #10

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Don't get your hopes up Randy. The ceremony isn't the legal part. If you filled in and filed the papers with the appropriate office - she has you remember , you may have a minister or such at the wedding, but it's the judge that will confirm the divorce so watch your step.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 17:25   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The basic rules for getting married include a registration and recording process with a legally recognized government. It does not matter what government. That also includes the ceremony being performed by a person recognized with that government to do so and serve as the official and provide a signature that is also part of the official recording that says it really happened. Customs and traditions play little part in it after that.

Sorry, ships captains do mot have authority to perform weddings by being captains alone. The legend exceeds the reality in all respects. Military officers do not have the authority either by just being an officer alone. We do have a captain in our yacht club that is also a Judge. He has performed the ceremony aboard ships.

The idea is that in years down the road someone could basically look it up to prove it really happened. Once you get past that part it's all down hill.

Back years ago friends wanted to do their own ceremony so they slipped downtown in the morning got legally married then in the afternoon they had an outdoor folk wedding with friends and family that was a really nice time. They were already married before they got there and so it didn't matter - legally. In the end they got what they wanted and were divorced 4 years later.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:59   #12

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
A charter captain in our area was ordained with some small church. No qualifications required, but he is legally ordained. He then performs wedding services aboard the boat during a day charter. The couple has to get the license do all the other red tape, but his service is legal.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:20   #13

Hello!

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and just started taking sailing lessons. I live in Maryland and hope to find a boat looking for a crew to sail to the bahamas this summer....Interested???

John
johnlwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote