Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 11:57   #31

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Changes in Atlantic currents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
As I like sitting on a boat in warm climates, please remind me again what the problem was? Raising sea levels? Warmer weather?
Meanwhile, in the real world, those of us in the midwest US have been under air quality alerts for the better part of two weeks, thanks to the smoke from wildfires in the western US and Canada, 3000 miles away...
Old 06-08-2021, 12:01   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s convenient for “ deniers” to push all sorts of conspiracy theories. It’s merely a form of cognitive dissonance, ie the refusal to believe the blindingly obvious so instead a complicated and bizarre alternative strategy is created.

Governments listen to science , science has to be politicized , because scientist don’t control the budgets to get things changed. Nor do scientists have the ability to pass laws and change behaviours

Hence nothing wrong with the politicizing of science , it’s been going on since before Galileo. Columbus wouldn’t have run into the West Indies if he couldn’t politicized the science and royalty gave him the money

I don’t simply accept what any Gov tells me , I read the background science , I decide myself , if my conclusions align with a Gov , so what. Sometimes they do sometimes they don’t.

SCIENTISTS donot push for control of peoples lives.. politicians do that.. scientists donot censor other scientists who donot concur with their beliefs, marxists do that..... try remembering the difference between science/scientists and politicians/politic. there is a huge difference between cult scientism and science. .
https://canadianphysicians.org/?fbcl...uk6vDtESfMVl1s
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:02   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
There are two aspects, one is that the climate is changing - as always - the other is whether we evil humans - sorry should be: white men - are the root of all evils and we need to start collecting our farting in jars to save the world. But this is too complicated a narrative for our apocalypse-loving media and governments.

As for me, I have no problem sailing around the Orkneys in balmy warm waters or using the Tour Eiffel for mooring. I've had enough snow and Ice to last me a few lifetimes already. I'll wait for the global warming while putting a vegan fed beef-steak on the grill while dispersing the CO2 contained in a beer. This will also keep unattractive girls chanting "How dare you!" away.
Clearly you are unconcerned about the 15 million people submerged under the Eiffel Tower then , or the 1000s about to board your boat , toss you over the side and sail away

Or perhaps you’d like to be in Rhodes watching your house burn to the ground

Flippancy like yours is most detestable , worse then deniers
Old 06-08-2021, 12:10   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Changes in Atlantic currents

Quote:
Clearly you are unconcerned about the 15 million people submerged under the Eiffel Tower then , or the 1000s about to board your boat , toss you over the side and sail away

Or perhaps you’d like to be in Rhodes watching your house burn to the ground

Flippancy like yours is most detestable , worse then deniers
Here speaks someone who denies being part of a cult..
Everyone's denying something or someone.. its just boils down to who shouts the loudest and owns the military...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:11   #35
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here speaks someone who denies being part of a cult..
Everyone's denying something or someone.. its just boils down to who shouts the loudest and owns the military...
I’m not being flippant , you seem adept at comparing apples and oranges

(flippancy and denial are apples and oranges )
Old 06-08-2021, 15:27   #36

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
It's pretty foolish to reject that climate change is happening. I suppose if a person buries their head deep enough...
And that is the rationale for re-branding "global warming" as "climate change". The climate has always "changed" and even if we are going into another ice age claims of "climate change" will still be valid.

The left has a very well established history in how to use language to dominate the dialectic and western societies are going through a fairly intense burst of activity in that respect at the moment.
Old 06-08-2021, 15:42   #37

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
And that is the rationale for re-branding "global warming" as "climate change". The climate has always "changed" and even if we are going into another ice age claims of "climate change" will still be valid.

The left has a very well established history in how to use language to dominate the dialectic and western societies are going through a fairly intense burst of activity in that respect at the moment.
As of Jan. 20, 2021, we started being told we were now in a "climate crisis." Same acronym so kinda handy, and I'm sure the date was a mere coincidence. Don't think any actual scientists were consulted on this "science-related" issue. Didn't want to politicize it I'm sure.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 15:46   #38

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Meanwhile, in the real world, those of us in the midwest US have been under air quality alerts for the better part of two weeks, thanks to the smoke from wildfires in the western US and Canada, 3000 miles away...
You mean in the normal world. There have always been forest fires, more so in the drier western US. The prevailing winds have blown W to E across the US for quite awhile now too. I bet even before fossil fuels came around . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 16:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You mean in the normal world. There have always been forest fires, more so in the drier western US.
Not like this; not in my lifetime (and I've been around a while).
Old 06-08-2021, 16:07   #40

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the climate deniers are also COVID deniers? Or is it just me?
Old 06-08-2021, 16:29   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I’m not being flippant , you seem adept at comparing apples and oranges

(flippancy and denial are apples and oranges )
Never said you were being flippant..
What I said was, you denying what others say makes you as big a denier as them..
Apples n Apples, just Cox's and Pippins..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 06-08-2021, 16:34   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not like this; not in my lifetime (and I've been around a while).
While ground water depletion has never been so low in your lifetime either.. the one leads to the other.
Maybe 5 mins in the shower instead of 30+mins.

Old 06-08-2021, 16:56   #43
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the climate deniers are also COVID deniers? Or is it just me?
They all feed at the same well of conspiracy , big pharma , bill gates microchip etc

It’s just cognitive dissonance at work
Old 06-08-2021, 17:17   #44

Boat: Bateau FS17

I think his point is there are two types of deniers, the left and the right, just pick a side and open your mouth, its what everyone else does In some places we even color code the teams to make it easier to identify.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 17:39   #45

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

From the OP's link

Quote:
LONDON, Aug 5 (Reuters) - The Atlantic Ocean's current system, an engine of the Northern Hemsiphere's climate, could be weakening to such an extent that it could soon bring big changes to the world's weather, a scientific study said on Thursday.
The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) is a large system of ocean currents which transports warm water from the tropics northwards into the North Atlantic.
As the atmosphere warms due to increased greenhouse gas emissions, the surface ocean beneath retains more of heat. A potential collapse of the system could have severe consequences for the world's weather systems.
Climate models have shown that the AMOC is at its weakest in more than a 1,000 years. However, it has not been known whether the weakening is due to a change in circulation or it is to do with the loss of stability.
The study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, said the difference is crucial.
"The loss of dynamical stability would imply that the AMOC has approached its critical threshold, beyond which a substantial and in practice likely irreversible transition to the weak mode could occur," said Niklas Boers at the Potstdam Insitute for Climate Impact Research and author of the study.
By analysing the sea-surface temperature and salinity patterns of the Atlantic Ocean, the study said the weakening of the last century is likely to be associated with a loss of stability.
"The findings support the assessment that the AMOC decline is not just a fluctuation or a linear response to increasing temperatures but likely means the approaching of a critical threshold beyond which the circulation system could collapse," Boers said.
If the AMOC collapsed, it would increase cooling of the Northern Hemisphere, sea level rise in the Atlantic, an overall fall in precipitation over Europe and North America and a shift in monsoons in South America and Afria, Britain's Met Office said.
Other climate models have said the AMOC will weaken over the coming century but that a collapse before 2100 is unlikely.

So it's all good guys. Just the usual alarmist boogeyman faux science fluff.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current