Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2009, 09:42   #1

Changing the Name of a Yacht

To all you experienced yachties out there! I am appealing for your advice on how to go about changing the name of a yacht.
I have just acquired a yacht that is registered in the UK. I want to register it in South Africa and also change the name.
How does one go about this legally?
I would also want to know about the seamans
traditional procedures in going about this.
Tollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 10:05   #2

Boat: Egg harbor 33 named Willow Star
Boat re-naming ceremony - Nautical Know How
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 12:52   #3

Boat: Seafinn 411, 41', Thistle
Hummm... Nautical Know How is interesting, but what a waste of Champagne. We just used the time honored ceremony of having a virgin pee on the bow... okay, there was that one little problem
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 13:14   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You will have to de-register the boat in the UK (UK Ship Register) and register it in South Africa. As for a re-naming ceremony, it's all superstition but for a good price I can sell you a bottle of certified virgin's pee.
Old 21-06-2009, 13:55   #5

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Wait, really about the virgin pee? That ceremony thing sounds really complicated and boring. We are in the process of renaming our boat and I am really nervous about it. Any advice would go a long way.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 17:39   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'
When I was a longliner commercial fisherman we used to get the wives & girlfriends drunk and they would pee on the gear for good luck, I am pretty sure none of them were virgins. We always had good luck though.
Old 21-06-2009, 21:34   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Sorry, no bodily functions required for this re-naming.
48° Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 00:04   #8

Boat: Feeling 346 "Esprit"
I bought a boat in the UK a couple of years ago and took it to Germany, all I did was to get the previous owner to take it off the Small Ships Register.

If you are taking the boat to SA, don't forget to try and get the VAT back, if bought from a broker. If you bought it privately you've got no chance of getting it back.
Old 23-06-2009, 11:43   #9

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Tollos,

I bought my boat secondhand last year in Holland, here is what Ias a South African living in Cape Town needed to do:

Further to the advice about the British registry (you could also do the de-registering yourself, if it is with the SSR it is just a letter and return of the plastic registration card) you then register your boat under her new name with any of the offices of SAS South African Sailing - SAS will want some proof of the de-registering (SSR does not issue confirmations so have a copy of the letter to them at hand), they furthermore will want to see a copy of the sales contract and of the handover protocol. You should belong to a SA yacht club and will need to be a SA resident with an address. SAS will allocate you a boat number which you should post officially on both sides but only on the stern could also do, they will also give you proof of registration with them. Once you have her registered with SAS at a port of your choice, you may proudly fly the SA flag and corresponing courtesy flags. Your SA flag will attract attention both from officials in harbour and at sea - I got checked out 5 times in 2 months by Dutch, French and British Customs including 2 boardings at sea! - as well as people on land.

You will also have to apply to ICASA Independent Communication Authority of South Africa concerning all the radio equipment on board and to obtain your call sign and MMSI number if you have a DSC radio or an AIS transceiver. You will have to provide ICASA with proof of a radio operator's licence.

If you have an EPIRB that needs to be registered seperately with a subsidiary of SAMSA South African Maritime Safety Association.

Keep all documents or good copies on board for inspection by Customs officials - purchase contract, SAS registration, ICASA registration, your licences. In Europe especially the VAT document - proof of payment - is the most important document Customs wants to see.

In view of the repeated visits by officials, keep a well furnished ship's log and keep any mooring receipts as proof of visits to certain harbours.

If VAT has been paid on you boat, the boat can stay in Europe indefinitely. Same does not apply to you if you hold a SA passport, you will have to watch the visa situation and stay restrictions in the different countries carefully.

Concerning a renaming ceremony, use champagne, 1/4 for the boat, the rest for the owner's party! And make sure you do this ceremony early on in your ownership, otherwise Murphy (him of Murphy's law) will be on board and do his best to spoil your sailing days!!! Spoken from someone who had Murphy on board for about 2 months until we could get together for the renaming ceremony.

Where are you currently berthed? Planning to sail her back to SA?
Happy sailing!

Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 21:21   #10

I wouldnt say im superstitious, but....... I shall probably follow Babykinz link. Just me.
Old 01-07-2009, 22:48   #11

Boat: Skookum 53'
That sounds like a worthy ceremony.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:14   #12

Quick question, when you name/re-name a boat, what happens if that name is already taken(assuming that there will obviously be doubled names in the world that you may or may not know about) in the same general area/marina.
Old 27-09-2011, 13:33   #13

Boat: 34' sloop
Re: Changing the Name of a Yacht

In case anyone is still following this thread (2 years on) in the South African context you are required to provide SAS with some alternative names and should the first be used they drop down the list!
Gooosberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 20:28   #14

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Changing the Name of a Yacht

I say hold the ceremony not this ceremony per say but a ceremony and spread the news about the new name of your boat. Then pour the recycled champagne east to west in the water. If I have to explain what I mean here you will have wasted good champagne.