Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 22:45   #46

Boat: Hunter 25.5
Christiansailin,

So, did you get the Hunter 25.5 or not? If the fiberglass hull and deck, and the aluminum spars are intact, then you will be able to bring her back to life.
I bought a Hunter 25.5 a couple of years ago ... and after rebuilding/repairing essentially everything I am very satisfied with the boat. In my opinion, even though the 25.5 is NOT suitable for offshore, it is perfect for inland lakes.
Shoot me an e-mail if you have questions about the 25.5 ... and/or check out the photos I posted on SailboatOwners.com.

Regards,
E. Godsey
GodseyMail(at)austin.rr.com
Proverbs 3:5-6
Old 09-04-2013, 22:54   #47

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
I should be used to this by now. Every online newspaper story about anything religious is followed by savage, insulting hostility to religion in the reader comments. Academic or professional forums, mention religion in the slightest way and you'll trigger a savage, energetic, insulting backlash. So now in this forum where so many often mention the brotherhood or special connection that cruisers or sailers have with each other - let's dispense with that fiction because that alleged connection is instantly thrown overboard when someone dares propose a thread for Christians.

How many times have we seen postings for that Bianka blog and nobody says a word?

I'm not a fragile thin skinned baby, and I like to think I'm a good sport and pretty resilient, but let's not be self-delusional, hurling gratuitous insults at God - whether you think we're irrational idiots who believe in a cosmic fiction or not - isn't really good natured ribbing at all. I won't insult what you hold most dear, and it would be nice if I could expect the same in return. Silly me.
Old 09-04-2013, 23:24   #48

Boat: Owens
For those taking the high ground claiming he is violating a rule here or the spirit of the forum so to speak. Why not report his post to the moderators and go to the next thread without comment? Add him to your ignore list if he is that threatening to your happiness here.

Perhaps it makes you feel superior to mock a man based upon his beliefs? The behavior is predictable at best and deplorable at worst IMO.

Craig
Old 09-04-2013, 23:30   #49

Re: Christian Sailing Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
For those taking the high ground claiming he is violating a rule here or the spirit of the forum so to speak. Why not report his post to the moderators and go to the next thread without comment? Add him to your ignore list if he is that threatening to your happiness here.

Perhaps it makes you feel superior to mock a man based upon his beliefs? The behavior is predictable at best and deplorable at worst IMO.
I don't think I'm taking the moral high ground by stating that if everyone on here made a new thread when they made a blog post the place would be a zoo.

I don't have any problem with anyone's content, and it's a discussion forum, so here we all are discussing it.
Old 09-04-2013, 23:59   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiansailin View Post
I don't view it as "self-centered". I see it as welcoming others into your world. I read the "Spam" rule as well and don't think I'm committing such as I don't have a profit/non-profit site or motive. Just sharing for other's entertainment/enjoyment.
Really???...You don't have a motive? Just welcoming others into your world...I see. Well you're right about one thing this is certainly "off topic". So since it is, I will say that when I was traveling South East Asia on and off for 5 or so years, I saw how religion can erode other cultures. Sailing is fine. A persons personal beliefs are fine also. I'm sure there are forums catering to Religion and sailing already.

Quote:

Thanks for the black or white judgment call. Why pull the mods into this. The freedom of this forum is driven by self-moderating most of the time unless it gets out of hand. Is it a matter of being superior or is it standing up for out individuality?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-04-2013, 00:25   #51
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I don't think I'm taking the moral high ground by stating that if everyone on here made a new thread when they made a blog post the place would be a zoo.

I don't have any problem with anyone's content, and it's a discussion forum, so here we all are discussing it.
I don't think the tone or content of Rebel's comments have the slightest hint of moral superiority. On the otherhand, some of the defenders of the OP seem to have forgotten what they learned in Sunday school. Peace brother.
Old 10-04-2013, 00:34   #52
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
My ears must be burning - did someone say "Mod"?

Just a gentle reminder to play nice, which you all are for the most part....

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 10-04-2013, 00:58   #53

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Welcome to the forum Christiansailin.

On this forum you will find many Christians (of which I am definitely one), but also every other religion on earth. There are also communists, right wing extremists, peace lovers, gun lovers, goat lovers (1), homosexuals, murderers and general good guys like me. What I love about this forum is that we largely put aside our differences and embrace what we have in common. The trouble with the internet is that talk is cheap and many project an image of themselves that is far from reality. Hopefully you can enjoy this forum as much as I do and when one of us rafts up beside you what we have in common may open the door for dialog on a whole range of topics, but usually only after we've taken something to loosen the tongue.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:15   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I'm not a fragile thin skinned baby, and I like to think I'm a good sport and pretty resilient, but let's not be self-delusional, hurling gratuitous insults at God - whether you think we're irrational idiots who believe in a cosmic fiction or not - isn't really good natured ribbing at all. I won't insult what you hold most dear, and it would be nice if I could expect the same in return. Silly me.
Lol

I see that this thread has developed beyond OP's blog - FWIW, his posting links to babble does not fundamentaly bother me (some of my best writings are also babble ), only to the extent that bringing religion into a group does cause unneccesary conflict - but that's religions for ya .
The reason why I laugh at folks who are on the babbling end of nonsense is my own small contribution to killing god(s) .......one thing god(s) can't survive is being laughed at - and given that they don't really exist (any more than Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny do) the only target available is the beleivers - so suck it up dudes , it could be worse - could be tied to a stake and burnt .

Of course no one will be converted, but nonetheless it is simply part of chipping away at the claim for normality of espousing bronze age woo in the 21st century. Won't ever stop religions of course, but that not important - just need to relegate the concept to the status of personal hobby rather than a way to run a society. Kinda like those who still follow the Greek gods. Still work to be done on that of course....but religions on the wrong side of history .

Note that I am not against the concept of their actually being a god - but I am also not against Santa being real either, deluding self that either is real is......deluded .
Old 10-04-2013, 01:32   #55

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyjay View Post
How about a blog on ancient aliens and the ships they sailed
You mean OVNI's?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:36   #56
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Note that I am not against the concept of their actually being a god - but I am also not against Santa being real either,.

Room for us all

Old 10-04-2013, 01:39   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I am not the staunchest of atheists, more a very committed agnostic, or at least I would be if I could make my mind up,, But other than that Mr Weylan's post is pretty spot on for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
As the staunchest of atheists, I'll put my hand up and defend the OP's actions in posting this pseudo-religous babble in the off-topic forum. One has the option to not read the thread. One has the option to ignore. One even has the option to (gently) stir the pot (i.e. trolling) provided one has the ability to do it in a manner that will not attract the attention of the moderators. Sure, to me what the guy posts is a load of mumbo jumbo, but he wouldn't be the only one here to be guilty of posting drivel, would he?
As is this one:
Quote:

And my good friend sabbatical also seems to sum up my view:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
Welcome to the forum Christiansailin.

On this forum you will find many Christians (of which I am definitely one), but also every other religion on earth. There are also communists, right wing extremists, peace lovers, gun lovers, goat lovers (1), homosexuals, murderers and general good guys like me. What I love about this forum is that we largely put aside our differences and embrace what we have in common. The trouble with the internet is that talk is cheap and many project an image of themselves that is far from reality. Hopefully you can enjoy this forum as much as I do and when one of us rafts up beside you what we have in common may open the door for dialog on a whole range of topics, but usually only after we've taken something to loosen the tongue.
I mean for goodness sake, this is a forum where people discuss Mossberg shotguns and similar.

I think a man/woman musing on his theology is a valid piece of writing. And it was no big deal to publish the link.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:09   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Christian Sailing Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
How many of you, if you could choose, would prefer to meet your maker at sea?
Rather not old chap... he's been dead for 30yrs now...
But I see no problem with a link... see no problem with the odd reference to assistance...
Personally I prefer solo sailing... unless on a delivery.. but then I'm merely a figment of Clive Cusslers imagination...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:17   #59

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Goat Worshipping, as promised.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:36   #60

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Dennis
Didn't we talk about about posts that just have a link in them