Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2022, 12:38   #181

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Coral Reef Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Great denialism post. See Wikipedia for how this fraud works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial
This would be a great example of the "I" of FICC - impossible expectations. The ridiculous notion that because of the apparent hypocrisy of a few people, this invalidates the entire notion. A person would flunk high school forensics class for making such a pathetic argument.
And don't anyone bother to try and argue data or facts with people like this. It doesn't matter to them. They just throw this stuff at you to distract you from the larger issues. If you make a valid scientific or data-based reasoned point, they will just change the subject or cite some crackpot's bogus 'study'. It is all just right-wing paranoid self-serving propaganda, contrary to an overwhelming body of scientific evidence that they are desperately trying to flog.
The latest report by the Australian Institute of Marine Science on the health of the Great Barrier Reef states that corral coverage is the best it has been in the last thirty years.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:52   #182

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Great denialism post. See Wikipedia for how this fraud works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial
This would be a great example of the "I" of FICC - impossible expectations. The ridiculous notion that because of the apparent hypocrisy of a few people, this invalidates the entire notion. A person would flunk high school forensics class for making such a pathetic argument.
And don't anyone bother to try and argue data or facts with people like this. It doesn't matter to them. They just throw this stuff at you to distract you from the larger issues. If you make a valid scientific or data-based reasoned point, they will just change the subject or cite some crackpot's bogus 'study'. It is all just right-wing paranoid self-serving propaganda, contrary to an overwhelming body of scientific evidence that they are desperately trying to flog.

^^ An example of the argument you make when there is no logical argument you can make that supports your distorted point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The latest report by the Australian Institute of Marine Science on the health of the Great Barrier Reef states that corral coverage is the best it has been in the last thirty years.

Thirty six years to be precise. Possibly even longer because that is "when records began".
Old 04-08-2022, 13:42   #183

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Excellent - you just hit two more of the classic denialism tropes! "Cherry Picking" and "Logical Fallacies". You have gotten three of five main denialism tropes now. I am waiting with bated breath for you to invoke "Fake Experts" and "Conspiracy Theories" then you will have run the house!
Old 04-08-2022, 15:39   #184

Quote:
Excellent - you just hit two more of the classic denialism tropes! "Cherry Picking" and "Logical Fallacies". You have gotten three of five main denialism tropes now. I am waiting with bated breath for you to invoke "Fake Experts" and "Conspiracy Theories" then you will have run the house!
On the subject of fake experts, perhaps you can enlighten all those interested in why 99% of the world's coral is scheduled for deletion over the next 77 years?
Old 04-08-2022, 16:27   #185

Excellent opinion piece in the Friday August 5 2022 The Australian news paper by Professor Ridd on the "Reef is Dead" scare campaign by all the usual suspects.
Old 04-08-2022, 17:46   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
On the subject of fake experts, perhaps you can enlighten all those interested in why 99% of the world's coral is scheduled for deletion over the next 77 years?
Why would I? I never claimed it to be the case. You need to go back and more carefully review the posts.
Nice try but you are trying to bait me into arguing with you and it won't work. You have no interest whatsoever in understanding AGC, you are just trolling. Fuggedaboudit.
Old 04-08-2022, 20:19   #187

We could accept the 2021 State of the Environment report which the previous Australian Government decided was so woke that it was rubbish and declined to issue or the AIMS report, which is largely based upon field research.
Old 04-08-2022, 21:12   #188

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Wow sorry about my sarcasm apparently it didn’t work out as I expected
Old 04-08-2022, 21:36   #189

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Quote:
OK, I can't follow you guys and your insider arguments.

Is the Australian Institute of Marine Science report legit or is it cherry picking?

Tell it to us from the top and no spin or insider references, tell it to us from the top, your opinion, OK?
Old 05-08-2022, 07:35   #190

Climate IS going to sh!t, sooner than expected. We're now into Plan B - expect to adapt. Humans face some hardship (well, maybe not the boat-owning class), but the species will muddle through. In fact it's so not a problem right now that we have time for a European shooting war, and otherwise ratcheting up international tensions.

It's less certain that natural ecologies will adapt as successfully. Water resources are particularly threatened. And (sniff) some rich people's forest retreats have unfortunately burned up.

Arguing over the GBR and what expert is in your corner, is now shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, all things considered.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:39   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
OK, I can't follow you guys and your insider arguments.

Is the Australian Institute of Marine Science report legit or is it cherry picking?

Tell it to us from the top and no spin or insider references, tell it to us from the top, your opinion, OK?
Apologies Wingssail! I don't have the total story, but from a cursory look, it appears to me that AIMS is a legitimate scientific organization funded by the Aus govt. A poster cherry picked from part of an AIMS report a modest piece of apparently good news about reef recovery, ignoring their summary from that year's report that AGC is real and is clearly an ongoing threat to the GBR. A classic move from the climate change denialism bag of tricks is to impugn anyone who is concerned about AGC by saying they must be unhappy with good news about the GBR. Classic move to try to cover up one's own cherry picking is to baselessly accuse their opponents of cherry picking.
When confronted with the summary of the 2020/2021 report that endorses the view that AGC is real and is an ongoing threat to the GBR by AIMS, the approach was to try to change the subject and trot out another trope.

That is my understanding of this part of the thread. Hope it helps.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:04   #192

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Apologies Wingssail! I don't have the total story, but from a cursory look, it appears to me that AIMS is a legitimate scientific organization funded by the Aus govt...
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Climate IS going to sh!t, sooner than expected. We're now into Plan B - expect to adapt. Humans face some hardship (well, maybe not the boat-owning class), but the species will muddle through...
The species may "muddle through" but to me it looks like whether or not the boat owning class is inconvenienced or not is the least of the troubles ahead.

Just by reading the news I have become rather pessimistic.

What I see:
  • Climate change resulting in serious drought
  • Reduced availability of water for human consumption and agriculture
  • Increasing energy demand and current limits to clean power generation
  • reduction of rain forests and coral reefs and other greenery which may result in loss of oxygen
  • Overfishing and loss of fisheries
  • water pollution spreading into large areas of the ocean
  • Plastic dumping and accumulation of plastic in oceans and landfills
  • Human population and the desire of 3rd world peoples to attain first world lifestyles, (food, energy, pollution)
  • Diseases affecting bees, forests, crops all seeming out of control

I think there are many more concerns.

The planet will certainly survive, and almost all of these factors will rebound and balance out but it may take millennia.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:32   #193

Australia is still addicted to coal sales to China, and Ray & Reefie are still doing fine with their coal stocks, i suspect. Dance with the one what brung ya....
Old 05-08-2022, 14:40   #194
cruiser

Quote:
My comment was an attempt at sarcasm that has obviously misfired.

Basically I was showing a link to a whole bunch of ecological problems in Australia, suggesting that the coral problems, as worrying as they are, are maybe not even top of the list.

Environmental stuff is going to $h!t worldwide. It's depressing.
You were right, it did misfired.
Understood now [emoji846].
Old 05-08-2022, 15:48   #195

Quote:
Australia is still addicted to coal sales to China, and Ray & Reefie are still doing fine with their coal stocks, i suspect. Dance with the one what brung ya....
My lithium stocks have also gone through the roof. Uranium, not so much.

I thank the current fad of switching from oil powered ICEV's to coal powered EV's for this, as it is certainly proving to be profitable for the astute investor.

And with the automotive equivalent of the iPhone proving to be so popular, I'm thinking that investment in EV and battery disposal technologies may be the next long term bet.
Closed Thread

Tags
coral