Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 09:51   #16

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Crazy Dakar

Sad news on the motorcycles: One of the main contenders is out, Spanish Barreda has problems on his bike and is being towed. Portuguese Ruben Faria that was among the first and that on this special was going fast (6th on the WP6) fell badly broke a wrist and is out of the race.

God news for others: Toby Price made a great special. Portuguese Paulo Gonçalves (Honda) was faster on the first part but on the 2th part was slower and Australian Toby Price (KTM) and Austrian Walkner (Ktm) were faster on the last part, beating him.

Price won 1m 12s to Gonçalves that lost only 7s to Walkner. Slovenian Svitko (KTM) was 4th and Portuguese Rodrigues (Yamaha) 5th. Spanish Arana, the first of the Marathon bikes (Husqvarna), made am awesome 7th place just ahead of the American Ricky Brabec (Honda).

Brabec is doing better riding now consistently on the top 10. Laia, the girl that I posted about above, made 15th.

Paulo Gonçalves still leads the Dakar but now its difference to Toby Price is just 35s. Walkner is third at 2m50s and Svitko 4th at 5m17s. The 5th, Quitanilha is already at 15m.

KTM dominates again the Dakar and Paulo will have no help in what regards fighting the KTM boys, unless Barreda manages to bring the Honda back to the finish line and they have time to repair the motorcycle. Without fast assistance it would be almost impossible to win the Dakar.

Next stage will be very interesting for the fight to the leadership with any of the three ahead risking to make mistakes while trying to be Faster.

On cars a sensational Peterhansel is on full attack mode and has leaved Loeb 3 minutes behind. Sainz is 2th at one minute of Peterhansel but the stage is not finished yet.

It seems that on motorcycles KTM are almost impossible to beat and on the cars the same happens with Peugeot. The only one that manages to stay close is All-Attiyah (Mini), but that is just about that, close is the best he manages to do, even attacking.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:02   #17

Sensational!!! The big attack by Peterhansel hit the target he not only won time to Sainz and to Loeb but leads the rally now.

I am very curious to see what happened to Loeb. He was really slow since he Al-Attiyah on the mini was able to beat him to but Peterhansel won 8 minutes to Loeb and that is huge. Maybe he had a flat tire or lost the way. I am very curious about it.

Sainz did not loss that much to Peterhansel, only 17s.

Peterhansel leads the really with only 27s over Loeb and Sainz is at only 5m. Great racing

Regarding Paulo Gonçalves and the reason he lost time today after being the fastest on the first part of the stage: The headache due to altitude that he experienced today appeared again and increased with time. He says he is not worried but went directly to the tent to try to sleep and get rid of the headache.

It is a pity they don't include the truck racing on all the videos. This year has been great and yesterday's most spectacular images were the ones with the trucks.

They posted a video about jann Lammers one of the more spectacular on the trucks. Well, he knows one or two things about racing, having been a F1 pilot and prototype racer, winning Le Mans and all. He seems to have a lot of fun driving those monsters

Old 08-01-2016, 12:39   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: CRAZY DAKAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Nice to know Motorcycles or cars?
. . . .
Motorcyles, cars . . . what about the TRUCKS?

The Russian Kamaz trucks are insane . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:58   #19

Re: CRAZY DAKAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I was asking him what he used to race on the Baja 1000. Out of the Dakar not much big truck racing.

This year Tatra is not dominating and only on the 5th stage managed the first win. I don't remember a Dakar that was so evenly matched and interesting in what regards trucks, in fact the first are closer than on cars with the 7th and 2th Kamaz at only 13m from the first.

1st is Belgian Stacey (M.A.N.), 2th at only 59s is Dutch Versluis (M.A.N.), 3th is Argentinian Villagra (Iveco) at 4m5s, 4th is Dutch De Rooy (Iveco) at 5m36s, 5th is Russian Mardeev (Kamaz) at 12m 6s, the 6th is Czech Kolomy (Tatra) at 12m 24s.

Post above this one is also about trucks, stages 3rd and 4th. Here stage 5th and 6th with the best images from those stages, all categories put together (as I had pointed out already). Don't miss it, they are just great with their huge 1000hp engines.

On word about quads that this year are almost only a South American affair. Now that the Polish Sonik retired with clutch problems among the 8 first only one is Russian, all the other are South Americans.

Not that the other guys are not good, for instance the 9th is the South African Champion but the South Americans are really the top of the cream and really dominates quad on Dakar. The two first are the famous Argentinian brothers Patronelli. The third is the Russian, Karyakin at 6m 39s.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:42   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Sorry for the delay.... I was busy drafting a resume/proposal letter to Laia Sanz, and it took me a while to get it just right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

INDEED!!!! Crazy machines to be sure!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:42   #21

Last minute: The Australian Toby price is leading the Dakar (Motorcycles).

Paulo Gonçalves, the previous leader had big problems at the beginning of the stage (only 78th at the first waypoint). It seems to have solved the problems (maybe a fall?) on 2nd waypoint was 51th, on the 3rd WP was already 26th, on the the 4th waypoint was 9h and is riding as fast as the first on the middle of the dust of dozens of the riders he is overtaking.

After all he had not any problem but stopped to help the Austrian Walkner that had a bad fall, with suspected broke collar bone and a broken leg. He lost 11 minutes there. I hope thy will give him back those minutes even if they will not give him back the time he lost overtaking on the dust all those riders.

He is speeding like a madman and I hope he does not fall on the dust.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:59   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I tried to find some Baja footage (spectator) of mine, but failed...

There are some insane cliff edge sections just North of San Quintin that is my favorite camp/view spot... 3m wide track right on the edge of a 150m drop to the rocky surf... Trucks blast through here at 160 kph (100mph) + with two wheels inches from the edge...

And yes.... The KTM is a drool worthy bike

Old 09-01-2016, 05:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I tried to find some Baja footage (spectator) of mine, but failed...

There are some insane cliff edge sections just North of San Quintin that is my favorite camp/view spot... 3m wide track right on the edge of a 150m drop to the rocky surf... Trucks blast through here at 160 kph (100mph) + with two wheels inches from the edge...

And yes.... The KTM is a drool worthy bike
I raced KTM for years, first a 350 stroke and after a 620 four stroke. The last one was made specially for me at the factory, a mixture of the Enduro machine and the Paris Dakar bike with the tank deposit of the trail one. A beast of a machine: The front wheel only touched the ground when the 4th gear was engaged.

Me on one of the Portuguese Bajas on an Anfesa 250, a Portuguese made Krame-it with a Rotax 250 engine.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:47   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I raced KTM for years, first a 350 stroke and after a 620 four stroke. The last one was made specially for me at the factory, a mixture of the Enduro machine and the Paris Dakar bike with the tank deposit of the trail one. A beast of a machine: The front wheel only touched the ground when the 4th gear was engaged.

Me on one of the Portuguese Bajas on an Anfesa 250, a Portuguese made Krame-it with a Rotax 250 engine.
Nice!!!

Loved a KX250 I had... CR500 nearly killed me!!!

Strictly amateur riding far too dangerously in the desert...

Old 09-01-2016, 09:57   #25

The bike special is already finished. Paulo was able not to lose too much time with all those overtakings on the dirt, the race direction give back to him the time he lose helping walkner (almost 11 minutes) and he made a fantastic race making the 2th time (corrected with the time allowance), beating Toby Price for about 2m.

Big balls to be able to attack that way after helping a badly wounded pilot. I am quite sure I would have been affected by it.

The fastest was the 5 times world enduro Champion, the French Meo (KTM) that seems to be learning fast, the 3th the Argentinian Benavides (Honda), the 4th the Portuguese Helder Rodrigues (Yamaha).

Toby Price was 6th at about 4m from the leader. American Ricky Brabec (Honda) is entering the Rhythm of the best and finished 8th at only 8m and a half from the first. Laya, the lady (Honda) made a great stage finishing with the best, making 12th at 9m from the leader. Svitko was slow, made only 9th, losing time for Gonçalves and Price on the Dakar classification.

They were all surprised by a big storm on the 2th sector, with heavy rain and thunderstorms, so heavy that the organization had to suspend the race due to the increase of the water on the rivers.

On cars Loeb pissed by the bad luck of yesterday (two flat tires and a stuck gas pedal) attacked strongly and won time everywhere. He had a two minute advantage over Sainz and 2 and a half over Peterhansel at WP5.

But they did not stop the race on cars and on WP6 and WP7 only two cars passed, Sainz and Peterhansel. I am very curious about what is going one.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:31   #26

Today is rest day on Dakar.

Yesterday on cars Sainz won his first special. Loeb started with a big attack winning to everybody a lot but had turbo problems for some time. In the end, with problems and everything, he managed to lose only 38s to Sainz, being faster than Petrerhansel (4th) by 3m 23 s. Al Attiyah had a Podio finish for the first time with the mini being 5s faster than Peterhansel on the Peugeout.

It seems to me that Peterhansel is just preserving the car for the rest of the rally, leaving Sainz and Loeb taking risks with the mechanic. He is waiting for his time.

Al-Attiyah is the only of the mini that can come close to the Peugeot, that are without doubt the fastest cars. Peugeot is a buggy, a 2 wheel drive car and the Mini is a 4 wheel drive car but till now, we cannot see any ground or track where the 4 wheel drive has advantage.

The 7th stage resume:

And a look at the 4 main motorcycle factory teams:

Do you have noticed anything in common? Well, on three out of the four racing teams there is a Portuguese pilot

Also a video with Laia and her official KTM:

Regarding Dakar standings on Motorcycles the Portuguese Paulo (Honda) is leading with 3m 12s to Price (KTM) that has a 9m24s advantage over Slovenian Svitko (KTM). The 4th, the Chilean Quintanilha (Husqvarna) is already at 18m.

A Pity for Husqvarna to have lost the Portuguese Faria (broken wrist) the only one that could ride the Husqvarna to the first places.

By the way if you are thinking of having one of these machines just for fun or racing, the best you can buy is the Husqvarna according to what can be heard among the pilots and seems confirmed by the easiness Arana leads the marathon class (the ones you can buy).

On the race he is at 11th place ahead of the American champion Ricky Brabec and his official Honda bike and ahead of the Italian Enduro Champion Alessandro Botturi and his official Yamaha racer. That is just awesome regarding Arana but also tells a lot about the potential of that "standard" bike. The Portuguese Mario Patrão (25th), that I am sure is as fast or faster than him, is not able to ride as fast on a "standard" KTM, not even close.

Regarding the fight ahead, I will bet on Paulo or Price as the ones with more chance to win. I believe that we will see quickly the American champion (Ricky Brabec) entering the top 10 and the several times world Enduro Champion, the French Meo, approaching the Podium places...or that or he is going to crash, because the guy, now that he learned the ropes, is damned fast on the track. No doubt a future winner of the Dakar.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:07   #27

First words today for the American wonder kid (18) Sheldon Creed. Look at his list of accomplishments:
Bio » Sheldon Creed

He is doing his first Dakar driving the second Robby Gordon truck and he has impressed me: He finished 7th stage with a big smile on his face towing his boss's car driving his own car without a steering wheel!!!!

The steering wheel broke and he managed not only to finish the stage as to tow another car driving his car with a pliers I saw how he had done it and it was plain crazy. Big Chapeau to him!

Robby Gordon may not have a car to fight for the first places but he is as spectacular as usual...and that means a LOT!!!

It is easy to understand why he is a favorite to the public. A real star driver.

Also chapeau to the Argentinian guys (Jaton/Scazzuso) of the only electric powered car on the Dakar. As if it was not enough having managed to bring an electric car to this stage of the race, they had problems on the 7th stage with the direction too.

The car only turned to one side. They finished the stage turning to the other side manually: I mean they went out of the car, turned the wheels on the appropriated direction, made the turn and went on. How crazy can these guys be?
They are still on the race and not the last, having behind 5 cars.
Acciona Dakar

Not easy the Dakar:

Terrible and sad images:

Today starts the really hard Dakar with navigation, sand dunes and all the typical Dakar stuff. Let's who the guys that come from Enduro and WRC can cope with that.

The special has started for the motorcycles and at middle, on WP4 Argentinian Benavides, playing on his home tracks, is the fastest with a 10s advantage to Paulo, 34s to Meo, 1m5s to Price.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:50   #28

Great stage today (8th). On the more technical stuff for the first time Al-Attiyah and the Mini are leading a stage (at the middle of it) with 1m 18s advantage to Loeb. The third is another mini, Hirvonen at 2m17s, the 4th is Sainz at 2m37s, the 5th is Roma on a mini at 2m48s.

Big problems for Peterhansel that is only 15th at 6m 24s. He had problems at the beginning where he lost a lot of time (at WP1 was 27th) but now it seems OK and he lost on the 2 last sectors only about 20s to the first, probably due to the many overtaking.

It seems that after all there are stages that are favorable to the mini and they did not yet arrived at the dunes at the end of the special.

On Bikes it is also a very interesting day with Paulo and Benavides being the fastest on the first part of the race with Meo going strong to a very different 2nd part with Toby Price attacking strongly and assuming not only the leadership of the stage but possibly the leadership of the Dakar. Paulo is second on the stage but at 2m03s. Three sectors to go till the finish.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:31   #29

I have said this was a very interesting stage and it could not be more with two new leaders on the Dakar, Peterhansel on cars and Toby Price on motorcycles.

On motorcycles what I said previously was confirmed and Toby price with a huge attack since the middle of the stage leaved everybody at more than 5m, including the 2th Paulo Gonçalves that lost 5m 17s. The 2th was the Chilean Quintanilha and 4th Svitko the Slovenian, at 8m2s.

Svitko on a KTM is making a fantastic Dakar, taking into consideration that he has not a factory bike. The Three First on Dakar are now Price, Paulo (at 2m5s) and Svitko at 14m14s.

It seems that the fight will be between Price and Paulo. Price will be the first on the track tomorrow, probably not a good thing for him.

I had said I did not think possible for Loeb to win his first Dakar and I was right. Lost time on a dune, being stranded there, and after that made a good recuperation but finished with the car.

Today three pilots were fantastic, Al-Attiyah that finally managed to find a terrain that could allow him to win with the Mini, Sainz that has a disadvantage of more than 2mn at the middle of the stage and finished with 12s disadvantage but most of all Peterhansel that had problems at the beginning of the stage, lost 6m and started a fantastic recuperation that lead him to 3rd at only 31s of the first.

Peterhansel is now a well deserved new leader, Sainz managed to recover the 14m that he lost on the first day buried on the mud and is now 2th at 2m9s. Al-Attiyah, the man from Qatar, is a well deserved 3th at 14m43s. The last two were given 1m penalties for speeding on restricted zones.

Rally specials are over and tomorrow the true Dakar continues with sand and TT driving a stuff where all that are ahead on cars and motorcycles are familiar. Contrary to rally type specials on these ones you can win or lose much more time since they are not only more difficult as they need navigation.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:49   #30

Yesterday I found strange Price to be able to won 5m over Paulo. 5m is a lot and it is a big accomplishment to be able to beat all the others for 5m but Paulo and Price seemed to be on a class of their own and very close in what regards speed.

Here is the reason:

Huge crash for Paulo, one of those weird ones that seems impossible to avoid. Paulo recovered quickly but was so messed up that started on the wrong direction
More than the time he lost on the crash, the time he lost driving only with one hand to the finish (with the other one holding a broken navigation tower) explains that big difference.

Another one that crashed yesterday while trying to recover the time lost on the sand dunes, were he bury the car, was Loeb but this one unfortunately damaged the car heavily and lost hours and is out of the fight for victory.

Here are the stage 8 movies:

Probably the next Marathon stage is the one where the Dakar is going to be defined regarding winners. A Marathon stage are in fact two stages with a night in between but were mechanics cannot touch the motorcycle and the pilots have to do all the work. Not only is a very hard one for mechanical point of view as these two stages are among the hardest of the Dakar.

Motorcycles are already at it and Price starts with a big attack leaving everybody behind. At WP1 Paulo is only 4th at 2m3s. Don't think it is a good idea to attack now but it seems Toby Price does not how to play any other way

I don't think it is a very good idea because Toby Price is the first on the track on a day with lots of out of the track riding and lots of navigation. If he misses something on the navigation he risks to take a considerable time noticing it and can lose a lot of time.