Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 00:43   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Crew or Pax?

I written it before on other threads, but here it is again. Every boat cruising to foreign countries should have a witnessed document that gives their partner full rights over the boat. One of you needs to be defined in the ships papers as captain. If someting happens to him/her, the other may end up not be allowed to move the boat (actually may even be kicked off the boat) until the estate is settled. It can be very simple, something like:

In the event of my incapacitation or death, (boats name) first mate automatically assumes the position of captain, with all the rights and privileges accorded that position, including, but not limited to: sailing the boat to any destination of his/her choice, transport of the boat by any third party entity or person of his/her choice and/or sale of the boat.

Signed by the captain (and make sure you have either a Notary or a couple of stalwart pillars of the community witness it).

I'm sure a lawyer would find lots of other phrases, but the above basically passes total control of the boat to the survivor.

Don't think these things don't happen - lots of stories (true) about authorities embargoing boats until the estate is settled (which can be a very long time) In some cases the authorities have kicked the surviving spouse off the boat until the estate is settled.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 03:17   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew or Pax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I written it before on other threads, but here it is again. Every boat cruising to foreign countries should have a witnessed document that gives their partner full rights over the boat. One of you needs to be defined in the ships papers as captain. If someting happens to him/her, the other may end up not be allowed to move the boat (actually may even be kicked off the boat) until the estate is settled. It can be very simple, something like:

In the event of my incapacitation or death, (boats name) first mate automatically assumes the position of captain, with all the rights and privileges accorded that position, including, but not limited to: sailing the boat to any destination of his/her choice, transport of the boat by any third party entity or person of his/her choice and/or sale of the boat.

Signed by the captain (and make sure you have either a Notary or a couple of stalwart pillars of the community witness it).

I'm sure a lawyer would find lots of other phrases, but the above basically passes total control of the boat to the survivor.

Don't think these things don't happen - lots of stories (true) about authorities embargoing boats until the estate is settled (which can be a very long time) In some cases the authorities have kicked the surviving spouse off the boat until the estate is settled.
+A1.... another thing is it does not matter if they are crew or Pax... when you clear into a country you as skipper are held responsible for their repatriation.. you cannot just sail way without questions about why your leaving them..
There was a time skippers were advised to receive and hold airfares for the people on board to avoid complications in certain countries.. a few have even had to pay for 'crew' to fly out of a country..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew