Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2017, 14:45   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Croc Infestation

Seeking Solace , where was the utube taken? That it seriously terrifying.

I know this is politically incorrect but I hate the things. I was in trinity inlet Cairns yesterday and had a mooring issue, had to spend 30min in the water, they were certainly on my mind.

Im Australian and patriotic but cruising the north Queensland coast isn't for me, this is my third time, swimming and being in nice water is a big part of cruising for me. The potential croc stinger issue takes away that enjoyment . Ive cruised other places that I just find far more enticing.

I read briefly in a cairns paper about another 2m croc attack at Lizard, don't know the details.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 20:39   #62

Boat: Beneteau 323

What is the point of allowing crocodiles to multiply unimpeded in Northern Australia? I don't get it and I don't like it.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 21:26   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
What is the point of allowing crocodiles to multiply unimpeded in Northern Australia? I don't get it and I don't like it.
The conservationists say that we need the large predators to help keep the food chain in balance. I'm not really well enough informed on the issue to be much help. I'd rather they were not in the water I want to swim in. As you know, but most of the Yanks wouldn't, salt water crocodiles will swim out to see as far as 25 miles that I've heard of, which means none of Australia's northern offshore islands can be assumed to be free of them. When they were hunted for their skins and sport, the population was much less, and those islands were safe for swimming.

Ann
Old 25-04-2017, 21:44   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The conservationists say that we need the large predators to help keep the food chain in balance. I'm not really well enough informed on the issue to be much help. I'd rather they were not in the water I want to swim in. As you know, but most of the Yanks wouldn't, salt water crocodiles will swim out to see as far as 25 miles that I've heard of, which means none of Australia's northern offshore islands can be assumed to be free of them. When they were hunted for their skins and sport, the population was much less, and those islands were safe for swimming.

Ann
We are the large predators and we aren't keeping the crocs on balance.
Old 25-04-2017, 21:46   #65

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/sn...d985b8614b2883
Old 25-04-2017, 22:03   #66

Quote:

Ann
I've heard there are possibly more crocs in Australia than ever before, due to cattle farms providing them with more food than ever. Not just cattle, but 'roos, wild pigs etc in high numbers due to dams for cattle.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 22:06   #67

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I feel the problem is they are not scared enough of people and they should have more respect. You certainly cant gain that by feeding them from a boat full of tourists. You want to feed them for the tourists do it at the crock farm.

I think they should issue a controlled number of tags in all areas where they are a problem as they do to roo shooters to exchange for kangaroo skins. I don't want to wipe them out, I just want them to stop thinking of us as a food source.
Old 25-04-2017, 22:07   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
We have a very urban population. Most city dwellers feel our native wildlife should all be protected.

Except for the funnelweb and redback spiders of course!
Old 25-04-2017, 22:15   #69

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've heard there are possibly more crocs in Australia than ever before, due to cattle farms providing them with more food than ever. Not just cattle, but 'roos, wild pigs etc in high numbers due to dams for cattle.
We lived around Darwin in the early 80's and there were quite a few then.... nothing compared to now. There were very few big ones (except in the Daly River and one in Corroboree billabong which someone shot) but no way would you swim in any tidal river then. Around Cairns they were pretty much just freshwater crocks. Now they have big salties. They now say they are at Fraser Island. They have never been this far south.
Old 26-04-2017, 15:46   #70

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
They now say they are at Fraser Island.
Hi, Dave, do you happen to have a citation for that?

There are persistent rumors of one at Bribie Is., too, but I've never seen a picture or heard any believable documentation.

Thanks,

Ann
Old 26-04-2017, 16:19   #71

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to pdbms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Don't exaggerate. It's 13 feet.

We may be luddites but at least we can do math.
Maybe that's some kind of "alternate math". I get it to be 14' 9"
Old 26-04-2017, 16:25   #72

Quote:
Hi, Dave, do you happen to have a citation for that?

There are persistent rumors of one at Bribie Is., too, but I've never seen a picture or heard any believable documentation.

Thanks,

Ann
In the last couple of years a croc was trapped in the Mary river. There have been other reported sighting.

There are now croc warning signs in the GSS side of Fraser island.
Old 26-04-2017, 16:41   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Interesting... the threat of a "terrorist" doing harm to a citizen elicits formidable response in manpower and budget, but we seem to be encouraging these beasts who celebrate a known appetite for humans.

Hard to understand! wonder how long they would allow one to exist in Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra... where he might just gobble up a politician? (for non-Aussies, this lake is right in front of the Parliament and other gov establishments).

Jim
Old 26-04-2017, 16:48   #74

Like I said, they're keen when it's not their back yard! They don't worry about protecting native funnelwebs and redbacks.

John McEnroe
Old 26-04-2017, 17:40   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Having lived both in OZ and in Florida I can tell you that gators get only a nonchalant glance from me, even 12 footers while I'm in a canoe. Crocs, especially salt water crocs, well, if you've never seen one, they are truly awesome and terrifying creatures. While I have swum in water that is known to have contained alligators (not dangled my hand or leg in the water, and not in weed infested water, mind you), and will do so again I am sure, I won't go near the water where there are known to be crocs. Just a completely different beast. When you see one close-up, you understand that there is simply nothing you can do (in the water) to deter this creature, it's too well designed for killing.

I hope they live long and free. It was their world first and, in my opinion, we should just stay out of their way.

Pete
Pete you've got it backwards in Florida. I don't remember any crocodiles attacking humans in Florida but every year there are several alligator attacks and occasionally they are fatal. I've had both a Crocodile and several alligators show up in my back yard. The croc was about ten feet and the gators were only about six feet. The croc was very shy and slid into the water before I could get within twenty feet of him. The gators don't run. I got very close. I think they were waiting to grab my arm if I tried to touch them.