Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: A go or no go?
PWC Trip ok to do. 35 47.30%
You should buy a sailboat instead 40 54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 11:25   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

I am surprised at all of the animosity against jet skis among sailors. I guess that they must irritate people when used rudely in anchorages.

One shouldn't judge jet skis by the way some people misuse them. They are marvelous vehicles -- the closest thing to a jet fighter you can have without flight. I have a 260 horsepower Kawasaki jet ski at my lake house -- it has more thrust (almost 2000 pounds) than its mass. And I would LOVE to make a long passage on a jet ski.

It is quite amazing, but most of them have a range of 150 to 200 nautical miles. One beautiful thing about them is that they are so small and light, even propelling them at crazy speeds across water does not consume as fuel per nautical mile as a cruising yacht.

I would love to do an English Channel crossing on a jet ski, and I have fantasized about it with some of my sailor friends in the UK. 75 miles from Southampton to Cherbourg could be done in less than 3 hours without breaking a sweat, as long as the sea is reasonably calm. In fact, I think two hours might be practical (my Kawa will make about 50 knots in flat water).

I wish my boat were big enough to carry a jet ski as a tender. Alas . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:09   #137
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 Countries !

Love jet bikes...
Hate dickheads...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 18:02   #138

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 Countries !

Late to the party - but until last year jet skis and wave runners were outlawed in St Kitts..... Evidently in the very old days they had outboard props and there was an accident here.. and well its been a long time but nothing moves fast in St Kitts.

Long way for a PWC between some islands and it can get rough.. I can't imaging going between Nevis and Montserrat for example in usual conditions on such a small thing....
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 07:44   #139

I'm not sure you are ready judging from some of the comments, like that ag fuel tank sprayer. I have been on a few skis and I'm no expert, but keeping it balanced is critical.

First thing I would do is study the issue and plan a specific route knowing what fuel stops would be available.

Next, I'd get with a jet ski manufacture or at least a large dealer and explain what you want to do. Solicit support from them to modify the craft for such a voyage.....this would be a great marketing tool for them, they should give you the jet ski!

I'd consider putting a bow rail around you for a dryer ride. I'd cover it with hypalon over the rail and snap it to the hull....keep windage in mind too. On the inside of this cover I'd have small pockets with flaps to store stuff in (like backpacking foods). I'd use a motorcycle soft saddle bag behind my position. I'd also consider a small windshield.

I'd also look for redundancy under the engine cover. A larger alternator, spare ignition and plugs stored, oil and lubes and probably another impeller with tools. IMO, there is no stock jet ski made that I would trust my life with for such a trip without custom mods being done.

Since jet skis are used as emergency crafts by life guards, I would not be too concerned about the height of the seas or rough seas since the power/weight ratio would probably fly you over anything out there, but it will also take great skill and physical enduance.....start a running and swimming program!

While an American was shot on a Texas lake by druggies not long ago...who was on a jet ski, I would think you would see anyone getting close and you could probably out run or avoid most anyone. So, as to security, I'd think you could avoid trouble and who would chase down one guy on a jet ski? Not much to profit from doing that....

Lastly, you'd probably still get the fame and your record with a support boat behind you! That's something your sponsors could take care of and you wouldn't have a gas problem.

Just don't buzz my boat....thanks! Good luck....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 13:29   #140

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I think most if not all jetskiis have stators that use the magnet on the flywheel to generate electricity. I don't believe I've ever heard of higher output stators. Do they exist?

Why a bigger alternator? Most if not all of his added energy users are powered by their own batteries. If you plugged in the GPS that's maybe 0.2 amps?

Engine spares? What is going to be feasible to disassemble and replace on the ocean? Spares on a support boat or mailed island to island.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I'm not sure you are ready judging from some of the comments, like that ag fuel tank sprayer. I have been on a few skis and I'm no expert, but keeping it balanced is critical.

First thing I would do is study the issue and plan a specific route knowing what fuel stops would be available.

Next, I'd get with a jet ski manufacture or at least a large dealer and explain what you want to do. Solicit support from them to modify the craft for such a voyage.....this would be a great marketing tool for them, they should give you the jet ski!

I'd consider putting a bow rail around you for a dryer ride. I'd cover it with hypalon over the rail and snap it to the hull....keep windage in mind too. On the inside of this cover I'd have small pockets with flaps to store stuff in (like backpacking foods). I'd use a motorcycle soft saddle bag behind my position. I'd also consider a small windshield.

I'd also look for redundancy under the engine cover. A larger alternator, spare ignition and plugs stored, oil and lubes and probably another impeller with tools. IMO, there is no stock jet ski made that I would trust my life with for such a trip without custom mods being done.

Since jet skis are used as emergency crafts by life guards, I would not be too concerned about the height of the seas or rough seas since the power/weight ratio would probably fly you over anything out there, but it will also take great skill and physical enduance.....start a running and swimming program!

While an American was shot on a Texas lake by druggies not long ago...who was on a jet ski, I would think you would see anyone getting close and you could probably out run or avoid most anyone. So, as to security, I'd think you could avoid trouble and who would chase down one guy on a jet ski? Not much to profit from doing that....

Lastly, you'd probably still get the fame and your record with a support boat behind you! That's something your sponsors could take care of and you wouldn't have a gas problem.

Just don't buzz my boat....thanks! Good luck....
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13   #141

Anything ever happen to this guy? I noticed his website is down. Curious if he went for it and was claimed by Neptune or not.
Tex0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 02:40   #142
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

Dude, go for your jet ski cruise and don't let anyone tell you not to!
I own a powerful jet ski and a nice sail boat. My sailing friends were a bit skeptical at first about the jet ski, but they all came back with a huge smile on their faces when they had a go on it. It makes the difference to know what fun it is to go for a spin on a 200+ hp 70mph ski (not around an anchorage!).
Once I pulled a heavy sail boat off some rocks here in Singapore during a falling tide using the jet ski when all other rescue attempts had failed. I am sure the relationship between yachties and PWCs is not at all that bad after all. Just don't zippp by a yacht at anchor and keep some distance.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 02:53   #143
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

some more input:
- discuss this on the greenhulk.net website with more experienced long distance drivers and racers.
- support boat sounds like a really good idea. they can also videotape the whole thing for you, and we can see it on youtube later :-)
- get a rig like they use for jet ski fishing to clamp a couple of 5 gallon fuel cans to the ski (youtube = jet ski fishing, there are many rigs to be seen to carry stuff around). you can refuel on the water if the sea state permits. There are also additional built-in fuel tanks, check it out at greenhulk.
- get 2 VHF handhelds, and 2 GPSs, flares and parachute flares, just in case
- think about a small EPIRB unit
- get a real life jacket. don't do this trip with a "normal" PWC type neoprene jacket.
- make a plan and include marinas on the way. let them know when you're coming, so they can send you some help if you're not showing up.
- maybe consider sharing the fame and get a whole bunch of jet skis together for the trip (safety in numbers). it's more fun as well.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 14:56   #144

i rode a waverunner vx cruiser from boynton beach, FL to Hope town, Bahamas. it was 150 mile took 8 hours and 42 gallons of fuel. i had a 12 gallon gas tank strapped on the back deck of the runner, and made one stop at the west end cor customes. Got a monster sunburn and was crazy sore for a good few days afterwards.. 5 days later we turned around and rode back. also did tampa to key west which was 300 miles.. my dream since has been to go from boynton beach to south america island hoping the whole way down.. its cool to see someone has the same idea.
Zach11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 15:04   #145

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach11 View Post
i rode a waverunner vx cruiser from boynton beach, FL to Hope town, Bahamas. it was 150 mile took 8 hours and 42 gallons of fuel. i had a 12 gallon gas tank strapped on the back deck of the runner, and made one stop at the west end cor customes. Got a monster sunburn and was crazy sore for a good few days afterwards.. 5 days later we turned around and rode back. also did tampa to key west which was 300 miles.. my dream since has been to go from boynton beach to south america island hoping the whole way down.. its cool to see someone has the same idea.
i have done fort lauderdale to the bahamas before on my 04 yamaha 4 stroke. I put an 18 gallon tank ont he back along with a chart plotter....it worked great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	40104  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 15:16   #146

thats awesome. i know a good amount have gone to bimini in a group. where in the bahamas did you go?
Old 18-04-2012, 15:20   #147

this was when we got there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0059.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	40105  

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, jet ski, pwc, record, caribbean