Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 09:47   #1

Boat: In my dreams
Cruising for Gimps

Now I'm not talking about picking up that one legged girl down at the bar.

I was wondering how cruisers that have to take medication would handle a circumnavigation.

I.E. I'm a dialysis patient waiting for a transplant. (not stupid enough to try circumnavigating while on dialysis) When I get that transplant I will have to take anti-rejection meds. Do you just have your meds shipped to you or try to find a local pharmacy when in port? Or do you load all your meds on board?
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 10:01   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
bring what you can , many place will refill your scritp with no hassel
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The immunosuppressive drugs that you will be on, after your transplant, may be highly varied and complex, and it may require a certain period of trial and error to work out an effective regime.

You may be on some combination of the following medications (and/or others): Prednisone, Imuran (azathioprine), Cellcept (mycophenolate mofetil, or MMF), Myfortic (mycophemolic acid), Rapamune (sirolimus), Neoral (cyclosporine), and/or Prograf (tacrolimus), etc.

These medications may not always be readily available, in all places.

You MUST assure yourself of a ready and assured supply of these essential drugs, prior to traveling.

Good luck!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:36   #4

Boat: In my dreams
Definitely agree. Not going anywhere without my meds.
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 12:01   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Obviously, this Forum is focused on the subject of sailing and cruising on our own vessels . . . being "master of my domain" as made famous in an episode of Seinfeld.

However, that isn't going to forever and always work for all members. It doesn't mean, though, that they can't still enjoy time in the tropics, visiting the various ports, being close to the sea.

The cruise ship companies have actually put together cruises for individuals in your position, Lexam. Their ships are equipped with dialysis machines and trained staff to provide the treatment you require right on the vessel. You can enjoy your cruise just like any other passenger, without worrying about your health needs.

I have no specific recommendation, but a Google search should provide information on these types of cruises.

Good luck, and good health!

TaoJones
Old 21-01-2011, 12:40   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if you need your own space-- take with you prescription and a referral to md to whom it may concern, and have this added to and with your history and physical and medical papers you take on this trip with you...make sure you check in to a doctors office and have that md communicate with yours on fone-- and donot leave before your md has cleared you for specific kind of travel required in this adventure. be safe.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising