Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 17:22   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Cyclone Debbie & Fitzroy River flood, Rockhampton Qld

Cyclone Debbie in Australia trashed Arlie Beach, Whitsundays, Bowen then went inland as a tropical depression. It dropped tons of rain out west of Rockhampton as it headed south. Then when it curved back to the coast at the Queensland/New South Wales border, it washed away parts of Brisbane and Lismore and more. Plenty of destruction and heartache all the way but I am in Rockhampton so that's what I have photos and stories of.

The flood in Rockhampton is yet to peak. It is a huge flood. Currently people in 1,800 homes have been told to evacuate. Many of the boats still floating have gone down river to safer anchorages. Unfortunately, many boats have sunk. The big killer was one night when bank-to-bank floating weed came through and just overwhelmed the boats on moorings.

I've been taking some pictures and gathering some of the stories.
https://mildadventurer.wordpress.com/

Over the next week I will continue to update the blog with the flood and its affect on boaties.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:57   #2

Re: Cyclone Debbie & Fitzroy River flood, Rockhampton Qld

Another day of flood on the Fitzroy River, Rockhampton, Queensland Australia. At 6.8 metres and rising, at least no more boats have sunk. The river is faster and some huge logs and scattered weed is coming down but overall, it is not as bad as when the flood started. Still another 1.5 metres to go before the peak is here. Photos and story in my blog.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:34   #3

Re: Cyclone Debbie & Fitzroy River flood, Rockhampton Qld

The flood in the Fitzroy River at Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, seems to have peaked at 8.8 metres. This is less than the 9.0 metres predicted so there won't be the full number of 5,400 places inundated. However, the hard work has only just started because the water will drop and leave a mud layer over everything. That mud is sticky, smelly and nasty.

The mud and the flood water have various microbes in it which cause all sorts of trouble, including some flesh-eating bacteria. I know three people in my circle of contacts who needed professional medical treatment after contact with flood water. One nearly died and the doctors didn't know what was going on.

Soon the job will be cleaning down the boat club. The top floor did not get water in but the underneath section did as well as the ramp, slipway, car park, gardens. At least the mud in the gardens will help fertilise it. But lots in the garden won't survive.

Next will be trying to get moorings and stuff operational again.