Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 17:23   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Cruising, like so much of life is not something that can be learned from books, the internet, or courses at the local Community College.

A "Real Cruiser" is someone who has lived it long enough to have a pretty good idea of what can and will go wrong. They know the dangers as well as the pleaures of this lifestyle and are prepared to deal with whatever comes their way.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 17:29   #17

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
Cruising, like so much of life is not something that can be learned from books, the internet, or courses at the local Community College.

A "Real Cruiser" is someone who has lived it long enough to have a pretty good idea of what can and will go wrong. They know the dangers as well as the pleaures of this lifestyle and are prepared to deal with whatever comes their way.

I can appreciate the heck out of those words. I'm still waiting to hear what anyone "learns" from the death and destruction threads which I, personally (and I know I'm not alone), find so hideous on an otherwise excellent forum. The only conclusion I can come to is that it's all about the $.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 17:43   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
I can appreciate the heck out of those words. I'm still waiting to hear what anyone "learns" from the death and destruction threads which I, personally (and I know I'm not alone), find so hideous on an otherwise excellent forum. The only conclusion I can come to is that it's all about the $.
One learns who The Armchair, The Inland, The Racer, The Coastal and Offshore, The Ocean and the Singlehanded sailors are...
Then you keep your eyes open for the Threads/Posts Authors you feel may be informative for you in your moment of 'Sailing Time'..
A lot are... in the main... pretty knowledgeable in their 'Comfort Zone'...
Everything on here promotes knowledge of some kind... even the Avatars..
TSOB

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 22:19   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Kenny,
While I understand that threads about what disasters strike others may not be pleasant to read, and a lot of times people go off on a tangent about what "they" would or would not do, they can be usefull by bringing to light something of this lifestyle that you or another may not have thought of and/or expected in your travels.

This type of sharing experiences is nothing new, and is one of the ways that we learn of the world around us.

I will never forget of the first time I heard of the anchorage at St Helena island in the South Atlantic. I was in a bar in Hong Kong (very far from the Atlantic), and a couple of crusty "Real Cruisers" were reminiscing of their most unusual landfalls.

"... no beach, only a concrete jetty with a steel pipe and ropes to swing up from the dinghy before the waves wash you off..."

What bull. Surely these old geezers are drunk and telling tall tails again. There is simply no way that this kind of arrangement is the ONLY way to get ashore...

Three years later I finally made it to St Helena. The island rises with vertical cliffs nearly 100 feet straight out of the sea. The anchorage had only one small rocky beach, and with six foot swells rolling in from the East, it was suicide to attempt a landing there.

The only other option was this concrete jetty with stairs at the end, and DAMN if the wasn't a steel pipe with ropes hanging down to grab hold of and swing up out of the dink.

All I could do when I saw this was laugh out loud. Those old geezers were telling the truth.

Now this yarn is not about death or destruction, but it is about people sharing their experiences so that others can learn and know what they may not have been prepared for.

And if someone tells you that you are not a "real cruiser" because you have not been "there" or done "that", just remember that there is allways someone out there who went further, or longer, or whatever.

To date only a handfull of men have ever set foot on the Moon, and I doubt that even I will ever make it THERE.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:00   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
kpeer,

Set the boom off to one side, and next time there will be no BOOM.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
kpeer,

Set the boom off to one side, and next time there will be no BOOM.........i2f
Or just hoist the topping lift a tad...

Old 12-12-2010, 14:03   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kenny,

In your first post on this thread did you mean by "don't see so well?" that you are sight impaired or that you didn't understand?

There was a legally blind solo sailor that set out to do a Pacific or Atlantic crossing (I can't remember which). He had to be rescued because he got his sheets and halyards hopelessly tangled to the point where he could not sail anywhere. There would be many other situations like keeping a proper lookout but somehow I don't think that is what you were getting at.

Death and destruction and disaster tales usually are told so that folks can be cautious and to make contingency plans for disasters that might happen. Many times you can use the experience of others to not make the same mistakes.

Good luck in finding the answers and getting out there cruising.

kind regards,
Old 12-12-2010, 14:09   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well put Skip...

Old 12-12-2010, 14:28   #24

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Did they find anything in there?

Is the boom OK?
I am worried about the boom too, did you get it scanned?
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 15:39   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Ah, the sympathy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel sooooooooooo validated.

Still waiting for results.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 17:24   #26
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

screw the boom, how's your head?
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 17:45   #27

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Don't let it get to you, it could have been worse, you could have gone swimming in the Buriganga River after getting hit with the boom. Besides, I hit my head on the boom at least once a day coming up from below when we are dockside.

The last time my son and I were out together, he had the helm running downwind. I wasn't paying attention and he "accidently" gybed the boat. I can honestly say I got my hair combed by the boom.

I told him, "nice try, but you aren't in the will".

Don't let these guys fool you, kick a cleat hard enough, it don't matter if you are wearing shoes or not.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 18:26   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I'm still waiting on the results.

In fact I have decided to change doctors over this mess. I have always had trouble with their front desk, but this time they tried to do a scan on my chest due to "head trauma" and didn't understand why I had an issue with it. Enough, I told em "F@$ It, I'm outta here." I did go back for the scan but I'm done with that entire operation. Even after the MD calling me up and apologizing for the error they frigged up the referral. At least I had the whole offering, all THREE stooges.

Far too many "disaster" stories of "Death and Destruction" at that practice and that hospital. Honestly, the scariest thing I can think of doing, right up there with drunk driving on a freeway, is going into the hospital without someone to be there as your awake and aware advocate. No joke.

Not a clue if I will be able to find someone more competent, but I'm pretty sure these Bozo's are not a net gain.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 21:21   #29

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Hpeer, Sincerely hope your head is OK, getting hit by a boom is no laughing matter. In October one our local sailors got hit in the head by an boom during an uncontrolled gybe and didn't make it. Official cause of death was drowning, but that was due to him being unconscious when he hit the water, by the time they got the boat turned around and someone went in after him he was gone. Essentially he drowned before his fractured skull killed him.

I'm glad your still able to be pissed off at the medical profession. I've had to deal with them a lot over the last two years due to some family illnesses. Quite frankly I'm amazed that it's safe for 90% of these people to go outside during duck season, if you get my meaning.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote