Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2021, 20:43   #1

Dream boat

Hear me out land lubber for life other than small craft and such...born in fl familiar with boats however a retirement dream is a self sufficient eletric boat sail and eletric motor tesla style with large tesla wall style banks and diesel back up. #1 question is there a material or solar panels suitable for being used as a wind sail and solar harvester system 🤔 or could smaller scale like panels work that would open to allow more or less resistance while still retractable on a mast... also prop designs and foils yes a hydro style foil underneath to increase speed and control and lesson drag ....would a eletric hrdro proplusion motor jet style be more efficient...or prop and direct or trans mout drive..this dream is retro fitting a sloope style or shooner or would a catamaran be more ideal. Amy suggestions inputs other thoughts bases to cover
Lantris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 05:24   #2

Re: Dream boat

You should add to your dream a few supermodels, no annoyances by local immigration officials and peace on earth. That won't change how realistic your dream is but it would make it more comfortable.

If you have any intention of realising the dream, better start looking at what is common today. People aren't all stupid and you can safely assume, that good ideas that work have been adopted. If any of bright ideas for change isn't easily available, then it's for a good reason. And any idea that start with "You just have to ..." has the same chance of being good as finding a diamond in the dung-heap of a pork-farm.

Your idea sounds as feasible and useful as those "Solar Roadways". It works only in 3d-animations or on powerpoint-slides.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 06:31   #3

Look at this:
https://www.mby.com/motor-boat-news-...he-world-93406
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 06:43   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Ha! I love the hype. I changed the typeface to bold on the funny part.

"So ‘Black Pearl’ will run fuel free?

Completely. And I really do mean completely. Under the right conditions..."
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 07:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Ha! I love the hype. I changed the typeface to bold on the funny part.

"So ‘Black Pearl’ will run fuel free?

Completely. And I really do mean completely. Under the right conditions..."

No sailing boat will move without wind and every motor boat has limited fuel, so every boat needs “the right conditions”. But, yes, I agree it’s hype.
They boasted about a fuel-free Atlantic crossing and some wit commented “Columbus did that 500 years ago.”
I posted the link to show the OP that progress is being made in the direction he desires, and who knows what will happen over the next 25 or 50 years?
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 23:29   #6

All of you all had been shared such a great treasure of information. But i honestly do not have much idea about it but yes can say that i like boating and cruising.

Tags
boat