Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2014, 11:29   #271
cruiser

Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It is worth noting that in our "police" state, you are free to leave!
That made my day!

The thing that made it particularly pleasing is that you were addressing an audience who allegedly can leave relatively easily, and claim to do so for fun.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:36   #272
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Also worth noting that record numbers of citizens are renouncing, and doing just that. This year was double last years which was double the year before.
Reading only one side of the ledger is a mistake that rookie businessmen and fools make all the time. If one has an agenda, when one writes propaganda, the single side of any ledger is a great way to "support" that agenda. A lot of people will buy it, but anyone significant will recognize it for what it is.

If one restricts one's gaze to just one side of the ledger, D-Day, Bull Run and Kursk would have been the worst mistakes in history instead of historical turning points.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:39   #273
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
The real brilliance of the Patriot Act was the naming of it. I don't think the North Hollywood Shootout had much to do with it.
Don't apply my words to things I didn't apply them to, and try to read what I write instead of what you're looking for.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:42   #274
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
For good or bad, when the police go out on a call they expect to find a victim and a perpetrator. That's how they categorize people.
Do you have a citation for this claim, or is it merely opinion?

I'm fairly certain I know the answer, and I won't hold my breath waiting for a citation.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:43   #275
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Also worth noting that record numbers of citizens are renouncing, and doing just that. This year was double last years which was double the year before.
RE: free to leave

Based on all the whining you would expect the number leaving to be a lot more. If you don't like it in your country please get the hell out as we will do just fine without you! Stop blaming others for reasons why you can not do it as that is how a loser talks.

Far as the FWC overstepping there was a recent thread here where the cruisers got the Town etc involved to get it under control. So it can be done if you make your case to the right people. But my guess is that people whining about how many times THEY have been stopped etc. have a lot to blame as to why and they probably aren't going to get much support.

So if you feel you have been wronged and your response is to whine on a forum so the world can cry with you that is fine. But if you want things changed and all you do is whine on a forum, you're just a whiner!
Old 14-05-2014, 11:53   #276
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Far as the FWC overstepping there was a recent thread here where the cruisers got the Town etc involved to get it under control. So it can be done if you make your case to the right people. But my guess is that people whining about how many times THEY have been stopped etc. have a lot to blame as to why and they probably aren't going to get much support.
Getting the town involved takes enormous effort, and is the recourse of a Citizen who lives in a free society.

It's much easier to make a post that will become obscure on a no-cost, insignificant internet forum than it is to fulfill the obligations of being a Citizen.

Note the capital.

For folks who are unhappy and do nothing, do carry on as a citizen.

It's your birthright, and it's a gift, from us to you.
Old 14-05-2014, 14:23   #277

Boat: Various

Wifey B: Well, I'm happy so I'm going to carry on. Not going to let it get me down. Yes, we'd love to change the world, but we just deal with the little piece of it we can help.

Now, there was a time, I would have been upset....but it was long before me getting here to Fort Lauderdale. Back when Nick Navarro was Broward sheriff and arrested record store owners, 2 Live Crew, and thong selling store owners. Oh the thought of South Florida without thongs....now he cost the county over $350,000 on those things as the arrestee's won in all cases, so the courts did their jobs. Then the voters did their jobs and voted him out. I mean they even went after the hot dog vendor girls too. But that sort of made sense cause guys were looking at them, thinking they were naked, instead of the road. Oh but all that was resolved before I moved here.

I understand you guys who think the world is coming to an end, freedom about gone, the sky is falling. Just a tough way to live so I prefer to think of all the good out there. And there is a lot of good. Find it. Play with some kids. Do fun things like get out on the water. A lot more good to life than bad.
Old 14-05-2014, 15:31   #278

About an hour ago, I went to pick up my dry cleaning. Maybe 4 or 5 blocks from my house, I drove past about a dozen or so heavily armored & heavily armed PBSO officers, most of whom had black masks over their faces. They had one skinny little blond girl in shorts & t-shirt sitting on the ground in the middle of their vehicles. No other commotion was evident. now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what events led up to a dozen or so SWAT-looking guys getting called to my normally quiet neighborhood, but a dozen of them seemed somewhat more than necessary to take care of one skinny little blond & the fact that most of them wore black masks was rather unsettling to me.

I agree with most of what Bill had to say. I think that some portions of law enforcement in this country may have become a bit overdeveloped in some ways.
Old 14-05-2014, 16:54   #279

Boat: Custom 30

Even the smallest town's cops have been Federalized.

It happens through funding rather than legislation.

The Feds offer to fund training, equipment, and special programs through Homeland Security. This way they put their training and objectives into the local department, and also leave the department beholden to them for next years funds.

The Feds have no political or legal power over the departments, but hold many of their purse strings.

That's whay a small town cop now looks (and acts) more like Colonel Hofstedder than Deputy Fyfe.

'
Old 14-05-2014, 17:25   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
About an hour ago, I went to pick up my dry cleaning. Maybe 4 or 5 blocks from my house, I drove past about a dozen or so heavily armored & heavily armed PBSO officers, most of whom had black masks over their faces. They had one skinny little blond girl in shorts & t-shirt sitting on the ground in the middle of their vehicles. No other commotion was evident. now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what events led up to a dozen or so SWAT-looking guys getting called to my normally quiet neighborhood, but a dozen of them seemed somewhat more than necessary to take care of one skinny little blond .
Wifey B: Don't underestimate us blonde girls. I somehow suspect there was more involved though.

We were walking in NYC one night after a show and then late late dinner, on the way back to hour hotel. All heck was breaking out in the next block. This was right in front of the Marriott Marquis and the Embassy Suites on Broadway. Lights flashing. People running. Chases. People thrown to the ground. Odd there were no sirens. But it was nearly 2 AM. It was also a movie being filmed. We found a way into the hotel and then stood watching them from our room window for the next hour or so. They add the sirens later.
Old 14-05-2014, 18:01   #281

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
[Mrs] B: ...
We were walking in NYC one night after a show and then late late dinner, on the way back to hour hotel. All heck was breaking out in the next block. This was right in front of the Marriott Marquis and the Embassy Suites on Broadway. Lights flashing. People running. Chases. People thrown to the ground. Odd there were no sirens. But it was nearly 2 AM. It was also a movie being filmed. We found a way into the hotel and then stood watching them from our room window for the next hour or so. They add the sirens later.
That's great Hon. All this bad **** is a movie set! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. Oh you silly gal. You married the right man. Congrats!!!

I gots to unsubscribe. Ignorance is truly bliss but not blissful.
Old 14-05-2014, 18:14   #282
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Well, I'm happy so I'm going to carry on. Not going to let it get me down. Yes, we'd love to change the world, but we just deal with the little piece of it we can help.

Now, there was a time, I would have been upset....but it was long before me getting here to Fort Lauderdale. Back when Nick Navarro was Broward sheriff and arrested record store owners, 2 Live Crew, and thong selling store owners. Oh the thought of South Florida without thongs....now he cost the county over $350,000 on those things as the arrestee's won in all cases, so the courts did their jobs. Then the voters did their jobs and voted him out. I mean they even went after the hot dog vendor girls too. But that sort of made sense cause guys were looking at them, thinking they were naked, instead of the road. Oh but all that was resolved before I moved here.

I understand you guys who think the world is coming to an end, freedom about gone, the sky is falling. Just a tough way to live so I prefer to think of all the good out there. And there is a lot of good. Find it. Play with some kids. Do fun things like get out on the water. A lot more good to life than bad.
Thanks for a little sanity. Also thanks for the memories. Was there myself when Nick was the sheriff and remember the big to do about the hot dog girls. Do you remember the topless doughnut shop? Never went myself. Topless waitresses with breakfast just didn't stimulate my appetite.
Old 14-05-2014, 18:20   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Thanks for a little sanity. Also thanks for the memories. Was there myself when Nick was the sheriff and remember the big to do about the hot dog girls. Do you remember the topless doughnut shop? Never went myself. Topless waitresses with breakfast just didn't stimulate my appetite.
Wifey B: The dudes who go to a topless restaurant for food are the same ones who read Playboy for the stories.

Something many people don't realize is that topless is illegal in very few places. Myrtle Beach SC has an ordinance against it. Perfectly legal in all of South Florida. Bottomless isn't. But nearly bottomless is. Honestly, I've been to strip clubs and not one time ever considered ordering any food. And hubby is much too keen on cleanliness to do that. Just a disconnect to me.
Old 14-05-2014, 18:23   #284
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what events led up to a dozen or so SWAT-looking guys getting called to my normally quiet neighborhood, but ...
You could have merely done so, and skipped the rest.
Old 14-05-2014, 18:48   #285

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

All that needs to be said, all that can be said, all that should be said, has been said.

Thread closed.

Tags
florida, men